Being Moved around unfairly (On Topic)

Days

I know how you feel.
I have more seniority than most of the other preloaders in my building and wondered if I could choose where and/or what particular job I wanted to do in the area of the building that I work in.

Just by coincidence, as I was skimming through the new union book, I saw a section on that very issue.
It said something about the employee with more seniority could request a specific job and, if necessary, put their name on a waiting list to perform that job.
So, I asked the driver in my building (who is our Local's representative for our building only) about the section I read and told him the specific job I wanted.

He went and discussed it with the Supervisor, and the Supervisor told him that our building just doesn't do it that way and never has or will. Supervisor said he, and he alone, decides who will work where and do what in HIS building.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that even though it's written in the union procedures book, each building's Supervisor can run things (within reason) the way they want to.

That’s exactly how it works according to the master. You can’t switch between the same job such as going to an easier pull but you can switch to a different job. Unload->load. Load -> car wash.

Apparently there’s a bid sheet, although I’ve never personally seen it, that you can request what job you’d like to do. From there, the company is obligated to fulfill it within the restrictions of the contract. Some of the restrictions were like not being able to move too many times a year and moves were seniority based.

If everything checks out, and you’re still in the same job, you can start filing grievances I’d imagine.

From personal experience, you’re going to want to pick the job that’s the easiest on your body. I have no idea how switching from preload -> carwash would work because that’s not even on the same shift but it says you could in the master.

D

Deleted member 77202

So, I’m an unloader at UPS and I wanted to know we’re there any rules where I can prevent the supervisors and management from moving me from my assigned area. I have the most seniority on my side and people who come late are often the ones taking my place.

Seniority means absolutely nothing where I work, except when you choose your vacation days.

From what I've seen and experienced, unless you've been there at least five years, AND you're one of the Supervisor's favorites, then and only then do you have any chance of working a specific job that you ask for or like.

trailer loader

Trailer Loader
im a loader, sometimes sent to the unload, i usually do not mind if i am actually unloading, or flipping labels on the air, but if they want to send me to the unload to sweep, i will pull seniority, and make them send someone else, i dont mind unloading, but i hate sweeping the trailers,