Best dog advice for a new guy?

Re-Raise

I had a face to face battle royal with a Pit bull this afternoon.

I was delivering to a trailer park this afternoon. I walked up to the front porch, set the package down and gave the door a slight knock with the back of my hand as I turned to go down the steps. Just then the Pit bull inside jumped against the door and it flew open.

He jumped at me and I caught him across the face with the DIAD. He was growling and still coming at me, while I was yelling at him. I caught him across the face again as the derelict owners made their way outside.

The crackhead grabbed him by the collar but the dog seemed like he was more than he could handle. I said "use two hands you idiot".

He grabbed the collar with both hands and all he said was" did he get you?" The dog was bleeding pretty good from the face.

I said "You just got your last UPS Package" and I called the center in case they called in. I'll make sure we never deliver there again.

WorknLateHuh

The crackhead grabbed him by the collar but the dog seemed like he was more than he could handle. I said "use two hands you idiot".

I lol'ed when I read that, but I know it was no joke dealing with that mess. I hate when customers are passive about controlling their dogs.

I had a similar situation with a dog lunging at me with gnashing teeth and the customer barely making any attempt to help. I said, "Control your dog! He's gonna get HIT if I have to defend myself!" In the midst of the bull:censored2:, he shouts back, "If you do, then I'LL HIT YOU!"

It went back and forth between us for a while, and I left so pissed off. just ridiculous

wayfair

swollen member
I lol'ed when I read that, but I know it was no joke dealing with that mess. I hate when customers are passive about controlling their dogs.

I had a similar situation with a dog lunging at me with gnashing teeth and the customer barely making any attempt to help. I said, "Control your dog! He's gonna get HIT if I have to defend myself!" In the midst of the bull:censored2:, he shouts back, "If you do, then I'LL HIT YOU!"

It went back and forth between us for a while, and I left so :censored2: off. just ridiculous

Rack em

Made the Podium

It went back and forth between us for a while, and I left so :censored2: off. just ridiculous
I would make sure to get that address on permanent will call

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I carry mace

Dunno the shelf life of those pressurized canisters, so i went for a sonic dog repellent ~ training device if i exhaust my dog biscuit supply from Dollar Tree...

20160828_084642-jpg.94452

as discussed on my thread at the eggplant side of this site :

Soberups, r u in my area? Dog rant

Had to use it this past Saturday on a dachshund . 2 short bursts and this ankle biter turned a 180 back to the home as i set the perishable box on a porch chair so he cant reach it and rip it apart

PS , u guys n gals r lucky to have that option...

PPS, that brownie was a jerk for kicking that lil white poodle like that ~ racist ! #sarcasm

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

That's messed up : did u put that address a a will call ?

Iwould just set the box in front of the dog and hope he'll tear it apart before the owner gets to the box

MassWineGuy

At UPS driver training we were told never to believe anything the owner says re: the dog is friendly. If you feel threatened, wrap the delivery in a plastic bag and drop it on to the property.

Box Ox

If you feel threatened, wrap the delivery in a plastic bag and drop it on to the property.

Nope. Then the customer calls in and opens a complaint that you have to deal with because they either couldn't find the package or were angry it wasn't released close to their home.

Seasonals, I cannot stress this enough. If there's a dog you're not sure about on the property, lean on the horn a few times and give the customer a chance to come out to you. If they don't come out, NI1/NI2/NI3 the package every time. Do not put yourself at risk.

The only time having to defend yourself with a package or DIAD should be a thing is if you're caught by surprise when you're already out of the truck.