Best way to use map efficiently without wasting time.

Mack Grant

I'm sure your answer has been more than covered.

Here's my advice get a real map. Some of my maps are 3ft by 4ft. You can't exactly get the same feel for how everything connects by looking at a 5 inch cell screen.
When I first started I drew a small map of some neighborhood streets that gave me a lot of trouble and taped it between the air vents on the center dash. I also bought a compass with a belt loop hook but instead I attached to the kick open vent by my left foot.

Scuderia1

Thanks everybody for the responses. I will swing around that area today too see how it is. A lot of amazing advice here.

Sent using BrownCafe App

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
you cant start truck up unless seatbelt is on. Aint no joke bro.
Nah, you can do that one without showing up on a report. If the vehicle moves though, you better have that belt on or it will show up on a report. I double tap my start engine button while sliding into my driver's seat every stop.

oldngray

nowhere special
Nah, you can do that one without showing up on a report. If the vehicle moves though, you better have that belt on or it will show up on a report. I double tap my start engine button while sliding into my driver's seat every stop.

Before telematics I would start engine as I fastened my seat belt. I stopped it doing that way and made sure seat belt was secure first then, just in case I fumbled fastening it. That took longer but kept me off the reports. And that was what really mattered. Right?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I just do it their way cause if that's the game they wanna play ill play it right with them lol.

Marne Vet

Been throw-out on trips cold so many times I lost count. It sucks. When you're a rookie driver it's even worse because you have no clue how to eliminate some of the stress by working smarter, not harder. I remember my first time in a new section of the city that I had never even driven through. I had to follow a driver from my Center just to get on area. This was back before EDD or even the DIAD. He told me to knock off my airs first, then a few bulk stops, and then clear a section of the shelf to work from. I would set-up about 20 stops, and then physically write down the streets on a piece of paper. Find the first street, and then deliver and keep my eye out for the streets I had written down. I know, it took forever to get done, but eventually I started knowing where they were after a few days. The first few days though were rough. Just grab a bunch and set them up. Knock'em out, and repeat. Make sure you know what time the pickups start, and know how to get to them.

OPTION3

Been throw-out on trips cold so many times I lost count. It sucks. When you're a rookie driver it's even worse because you have no clue how to eliminate some of the stress by working smarter, not harder. I remember my first time in a new section of the city that I had never even driven through. I had to follow a driver from my Center just to get on area. This was back before EDD or even the DIAD. He told me to knock off my airs first, then a few bulk stops, and then clear a section of the shelf to work from. I would set-up about 20 stops, and then physically write down the streets on a piece of paper. Find the first street, and then deliver and keep my eye out for the streets I had written down. I know, it took forever to get done, but eventually I started knowing where they were after a few days. The first few days though were rough. Just grab a bunch and set them up. Knock'em out, and repeat. Make sure you know what time the pickups start, and know how to get to them.
deliver ‘em like they put them on…..ONE AT A TIME

oldngray

nowhere special
demotivational-posters-demotivating-posters-funny-posters-google-maps-carpet-city1.jpg

At our center we have a member of the safety committee who scanned in the pages of a map book, combined them all into one big map, printed out the area for each route, and taped it on to the bulkhead door of each truck. So when the regular driver is on vacation the person running the route can look at the map every time he opens the bulkhead door (and not while driving).

A few notes:
1. Yes, the regular driver isn't going to care because they know exactly where they are going, but all the swing drivers love it.
2. No, you can't get every single neighborhood that might ever be on that truck, but you can get 95% of the area in a very clear map.
3. It works really well for in town routes, but extended routes don't always have good maps and take up too much space to be effective.
4. It does require some periodic effort when the lineup changes.
5. It is considered a safety issue since it prevents in cab distractions of looking at a map when driving.

Anyone with moderate computer skills and access to a scanner could do this at his center.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
When you're trying to make seniority you do what you have to do. If that means driving the route in your car on saturday, de-schitting your load before start time, working through lunch, etc so be it. Once you make book I'll be the first to come explain why you should stop doing all those things and work at a steady safe pace and give them nothing.

If he wants to work beyond a steady pace after he makes book then its nobody's business but his. I hate when you oldtimers tell me to slow down. When I'm slinging boxes, I dont even have time to chit chat. Im focused, and be useful to the operation.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Did you take several hours on a Saturday to put your application for management in?

Don't be stupid. Management doesn't want some know-it-all telling them how wrong they are and how right he is.

So he comes here.

Dracula

Instead of wasting gas, he could pull up Google Earth and Street view and check his area a lot more efficiently. A lot easier nowadays

Wait, I thought in package car, the truck is set up, stop-for-stop?

Wasn't this what our stock paid for in the ORION system?

Who needs a map?

At our center we have a member of the safety committee who scanned in the pages of a map book, combined them all into one big map, printed out the area for each route, and taped it on to the bulkhead door of each truck. So when the regular driver is on vacation the person running the route can look at the map every time he opens the bulkhead door (and not while driving).

A few notes:
1. Yes, the regular driver isn't going to care because they know exactly where they are going, but all the swing drivers love it.
2. No, you can't get every single neighborhood that might ever be on that truck, but you can get 95% of the area in a very clear map.
3. It works really well for in town routes, but extended routes don't always have good maps and take up too much space to be effective.
5. It is considered a safety issue since it prevents in cab distractions of looking at a map when driving.

Anyone with moderate computer skills and access to a scanner could do this at his center..................instead of actually doing a route like the rest of the drivers.

Dracula

If he wants to work beyond a steady pace after he makes book then its nobody's business but his. I hate when you oldtimers tell me to slow down. When I'm slinging boxes, I dont even have time to chit chat. Im focused, and be useful to the operation.

That is why the cover drivers on your route date the women on your route.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

A few notes:

Anyone with moderate computer skills and access to a scanner could do this at his center.
Wow.

In my 27 years with UPS this is the first time I have ever heard of a Safety Committee member doing something that actually matters.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Wow.

In my 27 years with UPS this is the first time I have ever heard of a Safety Committee member doing something that actually matters.
I used to be on the safety committee when I worked inside and there were two outbound doors where when the packages backed up it would rain packages and fall on people's heads walking below. I got them to weld up sheet metal guards to stop that. There was also a pneumatic diverter that would malfunction and almost take someone's head off every night. I got them to replace it. We then got a new manager who didn't care about the committee and didn't listen to us so all of us but 2 quit the committee.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I used to be on the safety committee when I worked inside and there were two outbound doors where when the packages backed up it would rain packages and fall on people's heads walking below. I got them to weld up sheet metal guards to stop that. There was also a pneumatic diverter that would malfunction and almost take someone's head off every night. I got them to replace it. We then got a new manager who didn't care about the committee and didn't listen to us so all of us but 2 quit the committee.
Ok....that would be the second and third time I have ever heard of a Safety Committee member doing something that actually matters.