Bezos getting the Big Picture?

bacha29

Maybe Jeff should G.O.A.L (Get Out And Look) at the BIG Picture. Is there a lesson to be learned???

Amazon is starting to experience the headache of having an airline
Take a look at Amazon's so called "Code of Conduct". The same hypocrisy you see at every other major corporation. They send their spin doctors out to smooth over the situation in an effort to turn the public's attention away from the matter in the hope that it will be quickly forgotten so that the company can go back to doing things the way they've always done them. If the situation at Atlas gets out of hand Bezos will find another air carrier or try to gain control of the company itself.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Maybe Jeff should G.O.A.L (Get Out And Look) at the BIG Picture. Is there a lesson to be learned???

Amazon is starting to experience the headache of having an airline

"They may play around with the idea and find out what a pain in the rear it is." -- 12/18/2015

"The theoretical savings [of operating their own airline] would be offset by the exposure to risk of operating an airline. There just isn't much of anything to be gained even if things run as hoped. There isn't a big inefficiency that they can take advantage of." -- 12/20/2015

"They couldn't have chosen a more jinxed hub location in CVG.

An ailing DHL bought an ailing ABX. DHL's international network would synergize with ABX's domestic network to streamline and blah blah blah. Then it actually happened and it turns out they just lost more money, albeit under one name instead of two. And here's Amazon, doing the same thing." -- 2/6/2017

I swear, if youse guys don't stop doubting me it's going to hurt my feelings!

vantexan

"They may play around with the idea and find out what a pain in the rear it is." -- 12/18/2015

"The theoretical savings [of operating their own airline] would be offset by the exposure to risk of operating an airline. There just isn't much of anything to be gained even if things run as hoped. There isn't a big inefficiency that they can take advantage of." -- 12/20/2015

An ailing DHL bought an ailing ABX. DHL's international network would synergize with ABX's domestic network to streamline and blah blah blah. Then it actually happened and it turns out they just lost more money, albeit under one name instead of two. And here's Amazon, doing the same thing." -- 2/6/2017

If they're handling their own freight, and will have nowhere near the fleet size FedEx has, what's the harm? Find it hard to believe that they just decided what the hey let's do it. Of course they brought in consultants and bean counters and made sure it was worthwhile. If in the end it puts $100,000,000 more a year in their pocket, that's real money. If it provides better service and company continues to grow with it as a factor, worth it. If it pisses off FedEx and keeps them up nights, bonus, extremely worth it! ;)

It will be fine

Did you read the article? It says the problems they are having are pilots upset about pay. It's an easy fix if Amazon wants to fix it. There's nothing in the article talking about how they are losing money flying their own freight. It does say they are building a $1.5 billion new air cargo hub, so I'd guess something is working well so far.

59 Dano

If they're handling their own freight, and will have nowhere near the fleet size FedEx has, what's the harm? Find it hard to believe that they just decided what the hey let's do it. Of course they brought in consultants and bean counters and made sure it was worthwhile. If in the end it puts $100,000,000 more a year in their pocket, that's real money. If it provides better service and company continues to grow with it as a factor, worth it. If it pisses off FedEx and keeps them up nights, bonus, extremely worth it! ;)

There was a mentality in previous threads about the topic that Amazon would hit the ground running and eat our lunch without missing a beat because if they can run a good website then of course they can start up an airline from scratch and run it flawlessly from day one.

59 Dano

Did you read the article? It says the problems they are having are pilots upset about pay. It's an easy fix if Amazon wants to fix it. There's nothing in the article talking about how they are losing money flying their own freight.

I read it. If the problem was that easy to fix, it'd already be fixed and we wouldn't be reading about it. No one said they were losing money or that they would.

It does say they are building a $1.5 billion new air cargo hub, so I'd guess something is working well so far.

That's some odd logic.

vantexan

There was a mentality in previous threads about the topic that Amazon would hit the ground running and eat our lunch without missing a beat because if they can run a good website then of course they can start up an airline from scratch and run it flawlessly from day one.
They certainly have the money to bring in the right people.

59 Dano

Okie dokie

You conveniently left out "They couldn't have chosen a more jinxed hub location in CVG" and "DHL's international network would synergize with ABX's domestic network to streamline and blah blah blah" which is what the statement is in reference to. Context.

It will be fine

You conveniently left out "They couldn't have chosen a more jinxed hub location in CVG" and "DHL's international network would synergize with ABX's domestic network to streamline and blah blah blah" which is what the statement is in reference to. Context.
Whatever you say, dude. It's ok to admit you're wrong, especially when it's clearly written out in your own words.

bacha29

Amazon closed today at $ 993 with the 12 month target price ranging from $ 1095 to $1250. Somebody obviously believes that Bezos knows how to run a transportation network.

oldngray

nowhere special
Amazon closed today at $ 993 with the 12 month target price ranging from $ 1095 to $1250. Somebody obviously believes that Bezos knows how to run a transportation network.

Bezos is a master at manipulating the media. Most of the time it is mostly hype but he gets enough people to eat it up.

vantexan

Bezos is a master at manipulating the media. Most of the time it is mostly hype but he gets enough people to eat it up.
To be fair Wall Street doesn't trade on media hype. Anyone who can buy multiple shares of Amazon has got a good analysis team somewhere.

vantexan

Nonsense. The market is regularly inflated on media hype.
The "market" getting inflated is primarily bandwagon jumpers. The real work behind the scenes on Wall Street is a lot more measured. Granted there are bubbles, like the housing bubble that burst in 2008, where a lot of people on Wall Street got burned. But investment bankers, insurance companies, mutual funds are generally cautious.

bbsam

Staff member
The "market" getting inflated is primarily bandwagon jumpers. The real work behind the scenes on Wall Street is a lot more measured. Granted there are bubbles, like the housing bubble that burst in 2008, where a lot of people on Wall Street got burned. But investment bankers, insurance companies, mutual funds are generally cautious.
I think you give the Wolves of Wall Street too much credit. They all source the same material.