Bid Drivers treated as Swing Drivers

FozziesDeliveries

With doing Saturday ground and routes being cut on monday my center has been using us lower seniority RPCD bid route drivers as swing drivers on Mondays. Myself and other lower seniority bid drivers have been contacted a few times on Monday morning and told "Your route is not in today, you are on this route." Or we have not been contacted AT ALL and show up, punch in, and check the computer only to find out then we were placed on a route without having been reached out to or asked at all. It would be nice to know if i am not on my route on monday so i can be aware of what is available for me to bump instead of finding out right before start time. I was wondering if anyone else has been dealing with this or has similar experiences or advice. I am in the Central Region.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I am in the Central Region.

Section 9—Route Changes

(a) Temporary:

"Other than the period of November 15th through January 15th if a bid area is changed fifty percent (50%) or more, the employee shall have the right to follow the portion in excess of fifty percent (50%) of the delivery stops. If the temporary change involves more than a two-way split, the driver shall select by seniority."

FozziesDeliveries

Ok thank you. Hmmm... my route is an A route and gets smashed together with the route beside me on monday. The monday work is mostly the work of the other route and that driver has more seniority so he sometimes runs it which is fine because thats his right, but most of the time they give him the day and i run it. I recently found out that alot of what is my normal work gets put on a split route on monday that is usually run by a lower seniority unbid driver but sometimes a higher seniority bid driver gets put on but its not his work either. Can i bump someone thats higher seniority if its not their work and they are just put on the route?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Ok thank you. Hmmm... my route is an A route and gets smashed together with the route beside me on monday. The monday work is mostly the work of the other route and that driver has more seniority so he sometimes runs it which is fine because thats his right, but most of the time they give him the day and i run it. I recently found out that alot of what is my normal work gets put on a split route on monday that is usually run by a lower seniority unbid driver but sometimes a higher seniority bid driver gets put on but its not his work either. Can i bump someone thats higher seniority if its not their work and they are just put on the route?
You can thank all the guys volunteering for Saturdays for this nonsense. Come into work early start pulling rank and bumping rookies.
🧔‍♂️✊

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You can thank all the guys volunteering for Saturdays for this nonsense. Come into work early start pulling rank and bumping rookies.
🧔‍♂️✊
This is the way and I already have seniority over a couple people but at the same time I derive a lot or sadistic joy from running the route everyone else does not like and bringing it in well past dark in august. I even give the crappy preloader food. he earned it indirectly through me lol.

Up In Smoke

Contractually the work is yours. A 2 way split, follow the greater portion if seniority allows. A greater than 2 way split, you may follow any portion. You would have the area right over a senior employee that's working out of area. I always give a copy of the bid sheet to each driver so they can refer to it when management plays these games.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The real answer is to suck donkey balls on any route you don't want to run. Over Allowed is the only thing management understands.
1663201386928.png

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
We have this issue in our building as well, my route is in but the guy next to me has his route cut and he ends up doing whatever route they have for him. Only thing you can do is show up and pick which route you want and have seniority over other drivers. You can follow your work as well unless the other drivers have more seniority.

Trucker Clock

That's the Central language. It holds up in our building. How's it work by you?

Seniority does not come into play for a 2 way split. You can follow the greater portion without taking seniority into account.

For a 3 way or more split, you have no rights over a senior employee, whether from a different area or not.

Up In Smoke

Seniority does not come into play for a 2 way split. You can follow the greater portion without taking seniority into account.

For a 3 way or more split, you have no rights over a senior employee, whether from a different area or not.
I've got to say, that makes zero sense. You're the junior most driver in a 5 car loop and they break your route. Your route is split between two other cars in your loop and you say it's possible to bump a senior driver off his bid route in order to follow your work.

Up In Smoke

Furthermore, you are saying if your route is broken into 3 or more, that someone from another loop can decide to not follow their work and bump you from following yours? That's some crazy stuff.

Trucker Clock

I've got to say, that makes zero sense. You're the junior most driver in a 5 car loop and they break your route. Your route is split between two other cars in your loop and you say it's possible to bump a senior driver off his bid route in order to follow your work.

Correct. That’s the contract.

It’s your bid route and you’re following the majority of your work.

Might suck for the other guy, but why should he be able to do your bid route just because he has more seniority?

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
It looks like the moral of the story here is that seniority rules. I’m a low seniority conductor that wanted a specific local train. It worked 10 to 10 Monday to Friday and I was home every night. Well a more senior conductor got on it because it’s two hours closer to where his wife lives.

Don’t ask me about this recurring theme of working halfway across the country from your family, but to each his own.

but on topic, he ran through a switch derail and then went right back over it putting the train on its side. He was disciplined but still has that job because his seniority allows him to bid on it.