Bidding on a full-time route

cosis

Does the courier with the most seniority get the job? I was assuming this was the case. Two other couriers with more seniority than me applied, however my manager kept insisting I apply.

TNT Frosty

For me, and what my supervisors and managers saw, was the willingness to learn more. Senior people are just that, if you can work outside the box, and can be changed around, and not stuck in your ways, its a plus... we have guys in their late 50's to 60's.. still doing PUD, why.. because its all they know, have they applied to be linehaul, sure they have, but them them-selves have admitted that they are stuck in their ways, and just rather, go to work, do the same thing, go home...
Just because some have been their longer, doesnt mean they have more "knowledge"... heck, the most senior supervisor in charge of PUD, has never actually done a PUD route, and so he relies on his lower downs, to inform him of the needs and wants...

TNT Frosty

mind you, if your being told/asked by your supurvisor to bid for a run... then it maybe because his putting in the word for you to try out... it will do more harm to yourself to not apply, then to apply and told not this time...

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Does the courier with the most seniority get the job? I was assuming this was the case. Two other couriers with more seniority than me applied, however my manager kept insisting I apply.
Short answer, yes.

Your manager may know that those other couriers are disqualified already, or that they sign up for everything, with the intent to decline. It's a joke to some people.

McFeely

Huge Member
To the OP: are you talking about a route or a position? Are you currently PT or FT?

Fred's answer is pretty much the long and short of it, but someone with more years as a PT courier may have less seniority than a FT courier with less years (and a higher employee number).

cosis

To the OP: are you talking about a route or a position? Are you currently PT or FT?

Fred's answer is pretty much the long and short of it, but someone with more years as a PT courier may have less seniority than a FT courier with less years (and a higher employee number).

McFeely, this is a part-time to full-time upgrade

McFeely

Huge Member
McFeely, this is a part-time to full-time upgrade

So it sounds like you're bidding on a position, and not necessarily a route. Bid on it absolutely if you're looking to go FT. The other 2 who bid on it may have bid on the position and may be from another station/state and may or may not take it. Some people bid on positions at other stations to get their current manager's attention (I've seen it work with some success at my station).

It goes by cev score, does it not?

I believe so, yes.

When I switched from PT to FT, 2 of us bid on the position and I got it as I had been at FX for about 1 week longer than the other courier. The only reason for that is the other courier's background check took longer to process than mine. You never know if you'll get a position/route unless you bid on them. Too many people never bid on something at FX, but will whine about their current situation without ever doing anything about it.

fedex_rtd

Your manager may know something you don't know...they can always hire/upgrade more than just one person. I have seen it done at my location numerous times, they put a requisition in for one upgrade but end up upgrading 2 or 3 people. It NEVER hurts to put in even if you are way down the list. As others have pointed out, some employees put in and then turn down.

cosis

Found out I have the full-time upgrade. The guy in front of me ended up not taking it, and I had a few weeks seniority over the other guy who applied.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Found out I have the full-time upgrade. The guy in front of me ended up not taking it, and I had a few weeks seniority over the other guy who applied.
That’s why you apply for anything you want. You never know what’s going to happen. Worst that happens is you don’t get it.

Express Courier

I scored a golden route by just tossing in my cap. One guy ahead of me had gotten a letter or something and was very pissed because the route is in his hood. It's basically his dream route.

McFeely

Huge Member
When I bid on my route, not a single courier in the station bid on it. Too many at my station whine about something (or everything) on their route, but nobody has the balls to take on a new route. Hell, even the swings piss and moan everyday about their situation but none of them ever bid to be a regular FT courier.

dezguy

I had a route I bid on where I was beaten out by someone from out of station. A week before they were supposed to move, they apparently decided to use their truck as battering ram and backed into a support column at their station, almost causing part of the building to collapse.

They got DQ'd and I ended up getting a nice route.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I got a route I stayed with for nearly 15 years. I was sick of doing splits and one person who was ahead of me decided to turn it down. Best move I made while I was there even though I wasn't familiar with the area, but I learned it.

dex 84

I've spent most of my time as a swing. There's only 10 routes in my station I would even consider bidding on. I got 16 months left on my offer letter though so I can't bid on anything for the time being...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
When I bid on my route, not a single courier in the station bid on it. Too many at my station whine about something (or everything) on their route, but nobody has the balls to take on a new route. Hell, even the swings piss and moan everyday about their situation but none of them ever bid to be a regular FT courier.

I always got a kick out of couriers who would bid on a route, win it, and then start bellyaching about how "They're supposed to take [insert whatever stops he doesn't want] off this route and that's the only reason I bid on it." Either that or the slow pokes who said that the previous courier only worked 8 hours a day and they shouldn't have to work any more than that even though the stop count didn't increase.