Bidding while on disability

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
In the southern region are you allowed to bid while on disability? One section says you cant engage in gainful employment. Would bidding on permanent routes be entailed into “gainful employment?”

Another part says only those package car drivers in the building may bid. If you are on disability are you still considered in the building?

PT Car Washer

In the southern region are you allowed to bid while on disability? One section says you cant engage in gainful employment. Would bidding on permanent routes be entailed into “gainful employment?”

Another part says only those package car drivers in the building may bid. If you are on disability are you still considered in the building?
I think gainful employment refers to having a second job. You can't collect disability and work another job.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Gainful employment means you are taking leave from UPS to work another job. Most locals have a rule for bidding while on disability or comp. Some say you can't unless you have a projected back to work date because employees and the company take up good routes for a whole year or good portion. Example; driver on comp bids a route while out with bad back. He then needs surgery and stays out rehabbing it. They are probably out the whole year while a good route goes to a junior cover guy for the whole year when a senior guy could have gotten it for the year. I see both sides but our own guys make it difficult.

over9five

Staff member
Talk to your steward, but HERE you would not bid, but you would be able to bump where your seniority allows when you return to work.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Talk to your steward, but HERE you would not bid, but you would be able to bump where your seniority allows when you return to work.

So where you’re at if everyone that’s locked in to what ever route they bidded on for however many years, the senior driver coming off disability would be able to bump whom ever they wanted if they wanted a permanent bid route?

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
I think gainful employment refers to having a second job. You can't collect disability and work another job.

When I first tried to go to driving school it was all planned out a month away. Tore my labrum in the unload and went on comp. I was opted out of going because in my region they said you cant bid on anything for promotional purposes because im not actually at work.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
Gainful employment means you are taking leave from UPS to work another job. Most locals have a rule for bidding while on disability or comp. Some say you can't unless you have a projected back to work date because employees and the company take up good routes for a whole year or good portion. Example; driver on comp bids a route while out with bad back. He then needs surgery and stays out rehabbing it. They are probably out the whole year while a good route goes to a junior cover guy for the whole year when a senior guy could have gotten it for the year. I see both sides but our own guys make it difficult.

So “Gainful employment” has nothing to do with any type of work on the inside? I agree its a doubled edge sword. Not fair for a 15+ year driver to possibly get the shaft when a 2 year full time swing driver like myself gets a cake route.

over9five

Staff member
So where you’re at if everyone that’s locked in to what ever route they bidded on for however many years, the senior driver coming off disability would be able to bump whom ever they wanted if they wanted a permanent bid route?
Correct.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Last time we bid a driver was out injured and they let him bid what route he wanted. Also in southern region. So unless they changed it with the new contract I think you can..

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
So “Gainful employment” has nothing to do with any type of work on the inside? I agree its a doubled edge sword. Not fair for a 15+ year driver to possibly get the shaft when a 2 year full time swing driver like myself gets a cake route.

Gainful employment means you are actually doing something to earn a paycheck. Work related activities, such as bidding, checking in with management to keep them up to date with your status, even picking vacations, aren't gainful employment.

dogs.bite.me

He’s still in the books, he still bids.

I’m a steward in the southern and got that strait from my BA.

Center is able to put a temporary bid up for until that driver returns.