Big Brown Races Again

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Big Brown joins lineup for Haskell race at Monmouth Park

June 19, 2008
-- Big Brown, the star of this year's Triple Crown series for
thoroughbreds, will make his next start in the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on Aug. 3, track officials said Thursday.

"We're ecstatic to see that Big Brown plans on running in the Haskell,'' said Dennis
Dowd, senior vice president of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which operates Monmouth Park. "He's a tremendous horse with a ton of talent.''

Dowd added, "I know racing fans at the Jersey Shore welcome the news as much as we do.''

Big Brown won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness before faltering in the Belmont
Stakes, denying the colt from becoming the first runner in decades to sweep the Triple Crown races.

The Haskell carries a $1 million purse, with over half the amount going to the winner. However under bonus conditions that are part of the race, the track will pay Big Brown's owners an additional $50,000 and trainer Rick Dutrow another $50,000. The payments are stipulated in Haskell conditions for the connections of a Haskell starter that has won two Triple Crown races.

cino321

I'm really getting tired of hearing about this, especially three or four times a day when some stranger mentions it to me while on my route. Maybe I'm just a pisser.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't mean to sound cynical, but the Haskell Invitational is certainly not the Belmont, Preakness, or the Kentucky Derby, so it seems to me that this is just a "paycheck" for Big Brown, especially with the $100,000 guarantee just for showing up, and I certainly hope that UPS does not start a marketing campaign for some junior varsity race in Jersey.

satellitedriver

He would not be a race horse, if he did not run races.
That is what he was bred and trained for.
Win, lose or draw. He is trying to win.
I like that spirit.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I don't think the jockey and the owner are on good terms. If the horse not put on a good showing, I think this is where they part.