Bilingual Info Notices

8Years2Go

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks of our new bilingual Info Notices. We just received our English/Spanish ones today. What’s next! Our package cars?

BigBrownSanta

I wonder if there will be other foreign language delivery notices in the near future.

There's a lot of international volume out there to be had if we could use dual language delivery notices in places like say chinatown or koreatown in LA. Most of the people who live in those areas are more familiar with DHL since DHL is the predominant shipping company in their home country.

BTW, that's my sales lead for the year. Don't ask me to submit another one this year.

mikestrek

What's the big deal. I just hope it speeds things up. Our spanish speaking customers will understand we need to collect on a COD the next day. We'll see?

hoser

Industrial Slob
Just wanted to know what everyone thinks of our new bilingual Info Notices. We just received our English/Spanish ones today. What’s next! Our package cars?
what's so wrong about that? it's not that spanish is taking over english and english will become obsolete, much like what europeans would think about english signage in paris.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, it's in immigrants best interest to learn english, and spanish infonotices ain't gonna change that.

keith lestrange

hi everyone,
in ireland we dont them either prob just as well as many countries dont recognise irish as an offical language.
ive been to spain,portugal and germany and the vans and trucks are in there own language:thumbup1:

hoser

Industrial Slob
hi everyone,
in ireland we dont them either prob just as well as many countries dont recognise irish as an offical language.
ive been to spain,portugal and germany and the vans and trucks are in there own language:thumbup1:
and in japan they're in english :lol:

tups

I dont think this should be necessary. I like the quote that one of our members has under his sig. "I shouldn't have to push #1 for English" That should say it all. And even spanish language notices wont change anything. The people who dont know english, wont learn it. Just like a delivery I had to a hotel last week. Delivering to the dock, there were 5 latin men standing there watching me, looking at the packages, and just talking. I finished scanning and asked in english for someone to sign. They all got the look like I was from INS and said no habla.....Well since I have a fiance from Colombia I had to learn some spanish, so I looked at the one who said no habla..and told him.....'fermir aqui por favor' (sign here please) and shoved the diad in his face. He signed, I left. This just goes to show that there are too many immigrants who simply refuse and dont care to learn english. Not that I'm trying to open up a political discussion but if immigrants want to come here to work and find a better life, it should be requirement that they learn english. (not that mine is any good anyway) And on the flip side of this I also think that more people here who only speak english should try to learn more than one language.

browniehound

I think they are going to hurt our reputation and sour our customers. Our english (vast majority) speaking customers are going to try to read this notice and get really pissed off because its in 2 languages. Thanks Moreluck for your wonderful quote: "I shouldn't have to press 1 for english"!

I just think its totally unnecessary and a waste of paper. Think of it this way. The spanish speaking person ordered the package, gave an address in english, knows what item they are recieving (95%) of the time, and must have typed some english to order the item (I'm assuming its an internet or catalog order which is what 95% of all residential deliveries are). So I'm sure when a Info Notice is left they know what its for.

If the Info Notice was left for me, it could be written in Chinese and I would know exactly what the item was, why the driver couldn't leave the package, that there would be an attempt the next day, the time frame that was checked off, and the phone # I needed to call to get more info. I don't know chinese from korean, yet would be able to underatand what the note was saying.

So, like I said. A total waste of paper and also an insult to the intellegence of our spanish-english speaking residents. Only at UPS I guess.

trouble maker

It absolutley disgusts' me!!! Let them learn english. My grandparents and I'm sure everyone elses' grandparents had to learn english when they came to this country. why not them??:mad:

Brownnblue

Any consideration to areas which have a large immigrant population that speak a language other than Spanish? It seems to me that would be a double waste.

Fighting4yourRights

Heavy Weight
You know, living in Germany for 6 months and trying to learn the language was a process that didn't happen over night. It was hard enough to learn the language without a huge percentage of the population constantly criticizing me for speaking and reading English, putting me down for disrespecting their country and publicly ridiculing me for being so ignorant. The people were kind (in general and def after WWII), supported my attempts to butcher their language, and used every opportunity as a learning experience for me. It made me want to learn the language even more.

My point: putting something in English *and* Spanish can really be a learning opportunity for individuals who are trying to learn the language. I learned a lot of German by watching movies with subtext. Let's not forget, English is a really complicated language with changing grammar, spelling and all the other crazy a## nuances.

deezilfuelonly

Any consideration to areas which have a large immigrant population that speak a language other than Spanish? It seems to me that would be a double waste.
If this is the path we are going down, then I need mine in english, vietnamese, cantonese, creole, french, spanish, pictures(for the people who are just plain too stupid to read the notice anyway). :mad: