Black Friday

over9five

Staff member
Yes, but is the reason Black Fridays sales were so good simply because sales up till then were so bad? In other words, are sales ahead for the season, or simply that one day?

We were at the mall today, and I couldn't believe how empty it was. Scary, really.

moreluck

golden ticket member
They always compare that Friday with past black Fridays.....apples to apples....and the previous post said it was up 3% from last year.

To me that indicates consumer confidence in Christmas !!:santa:

over9five

Staff member
But what if we compared Black Friday AND the 3 weeks leading up to it (apples to apples like you said), this year and last.

I wonder if sales would still be up?

chev

Nightcrawler
But what if we compared Black Friday AND the 3 weeks leading up to it (apples to apples like you said), this year and last.

Yeah, I was wondering the same. It is nice to see some consumer confidence but I would be remiss to think it will be a trend. :sad-little:

You can't blame both men.

One did the right thing, and tried to escape without drawing his gun. It was only when he was backed into a corner that he drew. HE was defending himself.
You are right. I called them both idiots, but the one guy WAS trying to defend himself. Really tragic.:sad-little:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
........................Well, here we go again. We seem to be missing key information to make your argument stick. Were the guns registered? Did these two idiots have permits to carry and conceal? Whether guns are legal or not, criminals will ALWAYS find a way to get them. Prohibition did NOT work and caused more crime and death by simply creating something for criminals to profit from. Prohibiting guns will cause the same vacuum. I still think it should be legal to carry unconcealed hand guns. In my opinion it is a deterrent. These two obviously had their weapons concealed and most likely had no carry permits. It's a tragedy, but is this really an epidemic? I think not.
Again......Guns do not kill people. People kill people with guns. They could just have easily been carrying razor knives and slit each others throats. Are you going to ban razor knives too? I could probably beat you to death with your own arm. Should we take that from you too?

BTW. Who is "you all"? Are you trying to pick a fight by directing your question to "everyone"?
Who EVER said we support "nutcases" having guns? Please......
:rolleyes2:
Absolutely, Chev. Couldn't have said it any better.

wkmac

Over,

I saw a report on TV several weeks back that Walmart sales were up because people were shopping discount trying to stretch every dollar. However, the last couple of weeks I've been pestering tie building some kitchen cabinets and I've made several trips to both Lowe's and Home Depot for different things and in every visit including yesterday, the place was literally dead. My dad after he retired couldn't stand it and went back to work for Home Depot and he was given off yesterday through this coming Tuesday. This is unheard of especially this time of year.

Stores are running very deep discounts right now so this could lead to sales but what will the final result be on the bottom line. When I left for vacation from work back on 11/14, I'd really not seen any volume to speak of that reminded me of a normal peak or even going into peak. It'll be a double edge sword for us if the consumer public decides this year to do everything from Black Friday on!

On a positive note however, I had to take my daughter to a music store yesterday for drum sticks and the place was hopping with customers. Even watched one guy ring up a $2500 Gibson Les Paul guitar. I see bright spots but I'm not convinced we still don't have some rough bumpy road to go. Christmas may just be an Oasis in the desert rather than a signal we've reached the end of a bad trip.

wkmac

2 men put their 2nd amendment rights to use on Black Friday.

Glad you all support allowing nut cases to have guns so there can be shootouts like the wild wild west!

PALM DESERT, Calif. – Two men pulled guns and shot each other to death in a crowded toy store Friday after the women with them erupted into a bloody brawl, witnesses said. Scared shoppers fled but no one else was hurt.
The violence erupted on Black Friday, the traditional post-Thanksgiving start of the holiday shopping surge, but authorities indicated the shooting wasn't related to a shopping frenzy.
Riverside County sheriff's Sgt. Dennis Gutierrez said the fight was not over a toy. He said handguns were found by the men's bodies, but he released little other information. He would not answer a question about whether the shooting was gang-related.
Witnesses Scott and Joan Barrick said they were checking out of the store when the fight began between two women, each with a man. The women were near the checkout area, but the Barricks did not think the women had purchases.
One woman suddenly started punching the other woman, who fought back as blood flowed from her nose, Scott Barrick, 41, said.
The man who was with the woman being punched pulled a gun halfway out of his pocket, then shoved it back in, he said.
"He pulled his gun right next to me. I turned to look for my wife, and she was already hiding," Barrick said.
"I was scared," said Joan Barrick, 40. "I didn't want to die today. I really didn't want to die today, and I think that's what we were all thinking."
The other man pulled a gun and pointed it at the first man but forgot to cock it, Scott Barrick said. The first man tried to run but was blocked by the line of people, then ran back toward the store's electronics section as the other man fired his gun, he said.
The first man reached a dead-end in electronics, turned around and ran toward an exit, pulling his gun and firing back, he said.
"He went up to the cash register, he went to put his hand on the thing and he just went phoomp," he said, indicating the man fell.
He said he did not see what happened to the other man.
Palm Desert Councilman Jim Ferguson said police told him two men with handguns shot and killed each other.

I blame the 3rd Century Roman Ruler Aurelian for all of this madness. Had in not instilled the false religion of Sol Invictus none of this would have ever happened. Man and his desire to follow false religious ideas has been a curse near the heart of all our ills and this again seems no different!

End the practice of worshipping Sol Invictus Day and this all goes away!

UPS Lifer

2 men put their 2nd amendment rights to use on Black Friday.

Glad you all support allowing nut cases to have guns so there can be shootouts like the wild wild west!

You just don't get it do you... The bad guys are always going to have guns no matter what the law is. So all you do is take away the ability for the good guys to defend themselves from the bad guys.

So - if you don't like guns don't own one.... That is your right!