Black snot--is it bad for you? Why is UPS so dirty?

Hi all,

I've been working at UPS for 8 years as a package handler (Portland, OR). Every day after work I've had black snot. So:

1. Does this happen to everybody?
  2. Is this bad for you?
  3. If so, how bad?
  4. Though the effects of this may be difficult to measure, has anyone had any health problems that they think may be in part attributable to this (e.g. respiratory problems).
  5. Does anybody know of any regulations UPS is supposed to comply with regarding the amount of dust allowable in the hub?
Any feedback regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

It seems worst after I've loaded or unloaded, which in my hub isn't very nearby the PC's, so I don't think it's primarily the exhaust. The dust is almost a thin fog in a lot of the trailers I'm in.

PT Car Washer

Cardboard dust from all the belts. I loaded on preload and sorted inside for almost 20 years until I bid a car wash job. I agree the moving of package cars inside the building during the twilight sort adds a lot of indoor air pollution.

oldngray

nowhere special
Cardboard dust from all the belts. I loaded on preload and sorted inside for almost 20 years until I bid a car wash job. I agree the moving of package cars inside the building during the twilight sort adds a lot of indoor air pollution.

Also black oxide from aluminum slides and shelves gets everywhere. Dirty but not dangerous.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Try being a rural driver on gravel roads in the summer. The gravel gets ground down into an abrasive powder that causes nosebleeds and goes way up into your sinuses and turns into big black dust boogers. Some are so big that pulling them out feels like getting a frontal lobotomy.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Normal. It is the aluminum plus dirt. I can't imagine how much of that dust is piling up in the bottom of my lungs. It is worse on real rural areas. With less paved roads.

Indecisi0n

Try being a rural driver on gravel roads in the summer. The gravel gets ground down into an abrasive powder that causes nosebleeds and goes way up into your sinuses and turns into big black dust boogers. Some are so big that pulling them out feels like getting a frontal lobotomy.
But it feels so good once you yank it out. Then you're driving down the road trying to steer and flick a bogger out the window that refuses to let go.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
But it feels so good once you yank it out. Then you're driving down the road trying to steer and flick a bogger out the window that refuses to let go.
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1433038677.582472.jpg

Or you can be like this guy

Ring Sport

Get yourself a neti pot or a nasal aspirator. Either mix your own solution of a quarter teaspoon of baking soda and a quarter teaspoon of epsom salt to distilled or tap water. Or buy the premixed packets.