Black snot--is it bad for you? Why is UPS so dirty?

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Hi all,

I've been working at UPS for 8 years as a package handler (Portland, OR). Every day after work I've had black snot. So:

1. Does this happen to everybody?
  2. Is this bad for you?
  3. If so, how bad?
  4. Though the effects of this may be difficult to measure, has anyone had any health problems that they think may be in part attributable to this (e.g. respiratory problems).
  5. Does anybody know of any regulations UPS is supposed to comply with regarding the amount of dust allowable in the hub?
Any feedback regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Screen-shot-2012-06-29-at-3.10.06-PM.png

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Try being a rural driver on gravel roads in the summer. The gravel gets ground down into an abrasive powder that causes nosebleeds and goes way up into your sinuses and turns into big black dust boogers. Some are so big that pulling them out feels like getting a frontal lobotomy.
The trick is to moisturize before digging that dirt/gravel stuff out. Spray water or saline up your nostrils no matter how weird it feels and let it soften up before taking a tissue and getting it out. So much better.

box_beeyotch

Out of all the problems with ups this is what you choose to complain and worry about? How do you think coal miners feel and felt? Seriously, not in the least bit of concern to me.

Out of all the problems with ups this is what you choose to complain and worry about? How do you think coal miners feel and felt? Seriously, not in the least bit of concern to me.

Black snot is harmless.

Is it still harmless if it happens every day after work for multiple years?

Something like this, where seemingly non-existent negative effects could add up over time and be mistakenly attributed to other factors, does concern me.

It concerns me not just for my own sake, but also for the great number of people working for UPS and in similar work environments, who could be unknowingly exposing themselves to the same risks.

And it concerns me regardless of their level of education or the fact that there are other people who have have worked/currently work under much worse conditions.

box_beeyotch

Black snot is harmless.

Is it still harmless if it happens every day after work for multiple years?

Something like this, where seemingly non-existent negative effects could add up over time and be mistakenly attributed to other factors, does concern me.

It concerns me not just for my own sake, but also for the great number of people working for UPS and in similar work environments, who could be unknowingly exposing themselves to the same risks.

And it concerns me regardless of their level of education or the fact that there are other people who have have worked/currently work under much worse conditions.

Proof that the world is way too sensitive these days. I'd be willing to bet this bothers you, but you probably eat fast food and non organic products filled with GMOs everyday.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Proof that the world is way too sensitive these days. I'd be willing to bet this bothers you, but you probably eat fast food and non organic products filled with GMOs everyday.

You're preaching about "life choices" and OP is talking about work conditions.

Apples and oranges...

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
I don't know how bad black snot is, but I notice that when I regularly work the belt shifts I tend to constantly maintain some degree of a cold back to back. It's actually quite a nuisance.