Blizzard

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Wut? I run rural routes in the mountains. We just shut down if the weather is bad. I get a dirty look every time I shut down operations and just give the peace sign as we head for breakfast. If it can't be done without chains or 4x4 it can wait.

Thanks for watching out for your crew.

I had ice/ sleeting for most of the day. It took a 4 wheeler to yank out my FedEx van loose after 4 hours of shovelling. Gonna be scary for the rest of this week in my rural area

Thanks but no thanks, Stella! Go back to Canada to wreak havoc on the snow flake generation that flee USA because trump won

dezguy

Thanks for watching out for your crew.

I had ice/ sleeting for most of the day. It took a 4 wheeler to yank out my FedEx van loose after 4 hours of shovelling. Gonna be scary for the rest of this week in my rural area

Thanks but no thanks, Stella! Go back to Canada to wreak havoc on the snow flake generation that flee USA because trump won
No station closures up here that I've heard of. We call this a light dusting.

McFeely

Huge Member
You could go in and punch in and get 4 hours report in pay, but that depends on how awful the drive is anyway.

I've only been told one time to not go on road and that was after we already sorted one CTV so we all got report in pay after our hour worked.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You could go in and punch in and get 4 hours report in pay, but that depends on how awful the drive is anyway.

I've only been told one time to not go on road and that was after we already sorted one CTV so we all got report in pay after our hour worked.

If you are told to stay home and instead choose to come in just to try to get your 4 hours, do you really think that they are obligated to give it to you?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Don't know what your guarantee is but FedEx pays a lot less and a couple of days off really hurts people living paycheck to paycheck. Guaranteed 35 hrs should mean just that, not guaranteed 35 hrs but....

The pay rate doesn't matter.

If you are asked to stay home due to a weather emergency in what world do you think that you should receive your weekly guarantee?

Our guarantee is 40.

vantexan

The pay rate doesn't matter.

If you are asked to stay home due to a weather emergency in what world do you think that you should receive your weekly guarantee?

Our guarantee is 40.
So you're saying the guarantee is arbitrary? When the company doesn't get something for their money it's ok? Pay rate doesn't matter to you because you've got plenty to fall back on or at least you'll make it up quickly. Guarantee means guaranteed. Not our fault the weather didn't cooperate.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So you're saying the guarantee is arbitrary? When the company doesn't get something for their money it's ok? Pay rate doesn't matter to you because you've got plenty to fall back on or at least you'll make it up quickly. Guarantee means guaranteed. Not our fault the weather didn't cooperate.

As I said, the pay rate is irrelevant in this discussion.

Suppose you were the employer and had 50 employees with an average gross of $200/day. Suppose those same employees had a weekly guarantee of 40 hours/$1,000. Are you saying that you would be OK with giving those employees, whom you had called prior to their shifts telling them to stay home, a $200 bonus?

Weekly guarantees are waived during weather and other natural disasters/emergencies beyond the control of the employer.

vantexan

As I said, the pay rate is irrelevant in this discussion.

Suppose you were the employer and had 50 employees with an average gross of $200/day. Suppose those same employees had a weekly guarantee of 40 hours/$1,000. Are you saying that you would be OK with giving those employees, whom you had called prior to their shifts telling them to stay home, a $200 bonus?

Weekly guarantees are waived during weather and other natural disasters/emergencies beyond the control of the employer.
That's not quite accurate. If they're working 40 a week, and the guarantee is 35, FedEx is paying them 3 hrs pay to get their 35, not 8. If the company tells me I'm guaranteed 35 hrs a week then there may be times the company just has to deal with it. In return we have to constantly deal with late freight, or heavy days that keep us from planned events with family, etc. It's a two way street although the company gets way more than it gives.

rod

Retired 22 years
Apparently Fedex don't have an "act of God" clause in their playbook that over-rides everything like UPS does.