boatman

boatman

just taking a survey my wife has heal spurs had them in left foot last year now right she is in terriable pain how common are these for ups drivers.

A

Another Driver

What do you get them from and are they really "spurs" of bone in your foot? Sounds painful. It's seems like with all the walking we do (drivers) that we would pound them there spurs back into where they came from.

canon

I've not heard of anyone having them, but it sounds like our job could produce it if you're running, jumping off the truck, and not using a dolly enough.

Heel Spurs Causes

What causes a heel spur? First, it is important to understand that heel spurs are an abnormal type of bone growth that extends from the heel bone, particularly on the bottom front of the heel bone and sometimes slightly to the side. Usually, a heel spurs forms where the plantar fascia ligament attaches to the bottom of the heel bone. The heel spur growth is made up of calcium deposits that form when the plantar fascia pulls away from the heel. Those who overuse, or put heavy stress on the plantar fascia, are at risk of developing heel spurs.

There can be many causes of heel spurs. Most often, athletes or those who have active lifestyles are particularly prone. This is because regular running, jumping, or any activity that can cause the plantar fascia ligament to stretch or extent excessively can cause a heel spur to develop. Those who also lift heavy objects regularly can also cause too much strain to be placed on the fascia, causing it to pull away from the heel bone. The body's response to this process is depositing calcium in the area of the front bottom portion of the heel, resulting in the bony heel spur.

The Heel Spur growth itself has no feeling. However, pain results from the protrusion of the Heel Spur into soft tissue around the heel of the foot. The area around the spur may become inflamed and cause pain, as well as bruising, as the pointed spur digs through sensitive nerves and tissue. Pain is particularly painful when standing or walking on the inflamed area. Following periods of rest, such as getting out of bed in the morning, pain can be most severe since the heel spur is digging into tissue for the first time after weight has been taken off of the injured heel.
Source: http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_spur/cause/heel_spurs_cause.php

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Foot,Leg,Knee Problems are a bane for many of us Pkg Drivers. Try Checking out Gel inserts that you can slip into the heels of all types of shoes. If not make an appt at your podiatrist, if that painful, surgery might be the answer.

SmithBarney

A good sports orthodic will make your life much much better
and with our benefits, they should be very affordable.
the most I ever paid as a Professional Ski Instructor was $80
I tell you what standing for 6 hrs a day in the cold, 6 days a week
your feel, ankles, knees, and lower back will thank you.

An orthodic will evenly disperse your weight, by matching the contours of your foot. I can't say enough how much it helps.

Last edited: