break within the first hour of shift

thomba24

A couple days ago, break was called in the first hour of the preload shift. it was probably 30mins in. There was a mechanical malfunction on one of the belts. Instead of standing around for 7more minutes break was called. I know you cant break within the first hour of a shift, But since there was a mechanical error they can? doesnt make sense to me. is this true?

UPSGUY72

thomba24:943935 said:
A couple days ago, break was called in the first hour of the preload shift. it was probably 30mins in. There was a mechanical malfunction on one of the belts. Instead of standing around for 7more minutes break was called. I know you cant break within the first hour of a shift, But since there was a mechanical error they can? doesnt make sense to me. is this true?

Does the contract specifically say no breaks during the first hour??

Anyways this isn't a big deal get over it and move on.

Floyd Gondolli

That happens frequently in my building. I work pre-load. Twice this week actually. I just tell the sup i will probably have to take a leak and get coffee at the time of the usual break time. He's cool with it. It sucks if your a smoker though.

Listen to Sir Lord Baltimore

Southwestern

The Central States Supplement states that PT employees shall receive a 10-minute break not to be called within the first hour of their shift. Although the contract does not explicitly list exceptions, our business agent has informed us that the union has agreed to waive this policy in event of prolonged operational irregularities. So yes, they had the "right."

Note that many managers abuse the policy -- we've had our only break called 5-minutes into an 8-hour shift during peak because the dispatchers screwed up and they need time to fix their mistake.

menotyou

bella amicizia
That is not a condition under which a break should be called. Safety tests, clean, look for misloads, whatever.

And, Southwestern, SHAME on your local for making back door deals. :nono2:

brown_trousers

That is not a condition under which a break should be called. Safety tests, clean, look for misloads, whatever.

And, Southwestern, SHAME on your local for making back door deals. :nono2:

Yea, no kidding! Whats the point of us even voting on a contract if our union can make these kind of "back door" deals?