CA Lunches & Breaks Seasonal PVD

Fallinggator

I'm a new seasonal PVD in California. I haven't gotten a paycheck yet, so I'm not sure if lunch and break penalties will be added to my check (not currently showing on my time card). On my first day, I asked my supervisor if I had to take a lunch and breaks, or if I could work through them. He told me to go ahead and work through if I wanted. In California they are required to pay you a penalty hour each day if you don't take a 30-minute lunch within the first 6 hours of your shift. They're also required to pay you a penalty hour each day if you don't get a paid 10 minute break for every 4 hours worked. I don't care about looking good to management. I'm not looking to go FT. I'm working seasonal during Covid until I can get hired on as a boat captain with a company here. I also don't mind working straight through, and was told by the supervisor that it was ok to do so... I just want to get my money.

So, I guess here is the question. Will the CA lunch and break penalties be on my check even though it's not showing on my time card, or am I going to have to say something? Extra question...how much of a PITA is it going to be to get that pay?

Also, just as a side complaint...it would be awesome if someone at my center could actually get me a key to the bloody storage units, so I don't have to call another driver to meet me each time I need to get in the storage locker. Likewise, it'd be kinda nice if someone would actually tell me a place and time to be each morning... that actually turns out to be where I'm supposed to be.

Zurion

You probably won't see that penalty money, and I don't think making a stink as a seasonal employee with no representation will get you anywhere. When in doubt take the lunch/break.

Fallinggator

You probably won't see that penalty money, and I don't think making a stink as a seasonal employee with no representation will get you anywhere. When in doubt take the lunch/break.
Are we not part of the union as seasonal employees? I know they're taking 2.5 hours per month out of my check for dues, but when the 30 seconds they spent talking about the union during onboarding did make it sound like we might be in some sort of different union class or something... Never been a big fan of unions. Seems all they do is take your money, prevent the worst employees from being fired, and keep you from being able to deal with work problems directly. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's been my experience so far in life.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm a new seasonal PVD in California. I haven't gotten a paycheck yet, so I'm not sure if lunch and break penalties will be added to my check (not currently showing on my time card). On my first day, I asked my supervisor if I had to take a lunch and breaks, or if I could work through them. He told me to go ahead and work through if I wanted. In California they are required to pay you a penalty hour each day if you don't take a 30-minute lunch within the first 6 hours of your shift. They're also required to pay you a penalty hour each day if you don't get a paid 10 minute break for every 4 hours worked. I don't care about looking good to management. I'm not looking to go FT. I'm working seasonal during Covid until I can get hired on as a boat captain with a company here. I also don't mind working straight through, and was told by the supervisor that it was ok to do so... I just want to get my money.

So, I guess here is the question. Will the CA lunch and break penalties be on my check even though it's not showing on my time card, or am I going to have to say something? Extra question...how much of a PITA is it going to be to get that pay?

Also, just as a side complaint...it would be awesome if someone at my center could actually get me a key to the bloody storage units, so I don't have to call another driver to meet me each time I need to get in the storage locker. Likewise, it'd be kinda nice if someone would actually tell me a place and time to be each morning... that actually turns out to be where I'm supposed to be.

Ahoy captain

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Are we not part of the union as seasonal employees? I know they're taking 2.5 hours per month out of my check for dues, but when the 30 seconds they spent talking about the union during onboarding did make it sound like we might be in some sort of different union class or something... Never been a big fan of unions. Seems all they do is take your money, prevent the worst employees from being fired, and keep you from being able to deal with work problems directly. Maybe I'm missing something, but that's been my experience so far in life.
Some places classify pvd as seasonal supervisors

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.

Are you saying you want the company to give you penalty pay for you voluntarily not taking breaks?

Re-Raise

433FBF0B-1AF2-4ED1-8151-396FBB5FCF2E.png

PVD time for the guy taking stops off my route.

He only ran 7 hrs over allowed. He probably needs more breaks and lunch time

Package Stick

"Send it."
Seems all they do is take your money, prevent the worst employees from being fired, and keep you from being able to deal with work problems directly.
Yes, the $437.00 in dues I paid this year is a waste of money. Who needs health insurance? A pension? Safety rules in the workplace??

The company is free to fire anyone they want.. if they have a valid reason and follow the contract.

The only problem I have at UPS is the company not following the contract they agreed to lmfao.