Brown Cafe Warning

Char

Where is WKMAC when we really need his sage, libertarian view? I know you're out there.

Go UPS!
P71

There is software that can log our ip address. I had a program a while back that could read ips on forums. Unfortunately the hard drive on that machine wore itself out and I was never able to copy it after. The site administrator can also log our ip. (Not meaning to accuse anyone). But your private identities aren't so private. A weekend hacker would be able to gain access to a moderately secure site. You think UPS or even Teamsters for that matter would think it would be a good investment to identify users of these types of sites.

Just remember, anything you do online is not private. This includes companies, hackers, and the government. Every google search you make is recorded. Every website you got to is recorded. Any transaction online you make is recorded. ANYTHING YOU DO ON YOUR COMPUTER IS RECORDED. You have no reasonable expectation of privacy on the internet.

Char

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Weird necropost. Just to address the bogus claim from 7 years ago above that there are programs that can read the IP address from any forum...it's BS. Admins can read the IP and depending on the permissions set most forum software can allow mods to see IPs, but third parties (aside from the web host) cannot read IP addresses from forum posts without either hacking the sql database or using a cross site scripting attack which would only work if there were an identified unpatched vulnerability.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Weird necropost. Just to address the bogus claim from 7 years ago above that there are programs that can read the IP address from any forum...it's BS. Admins can read the IP and depending on the permissions set most forum software can allow mods to see IPs, but third parties (aside from the web host) cannot read IP addresses from forum posts without either hacking the sql database or using a cross site scripting attack which would only work if there were an identified unpatched vulnerability.
My attempt at humor got deleted or it would have made some sense.
Not complaining about heavy-handed moderation :devil3:... just explaining the necropost, which I did not notice the date by the way.

TUT

It's not you i'm worried about, just the internet in general. All this discussion of being less annonymous than previously thought begs the question of overall security. You seem nice and are much more helpful/interactive than you find with most administrators on other forums. But, in reality, for all I know you could be the real killer of OJ Simpson's wife.

That is correct. There is no way anyone here or anywhere can guarantee full anonymity. Sites can be hacked many ways, the companies discussed here have the $$$ to easily seek people out for that info if they wanted. I would say, keep discussions in-bounds if you worry about what you say here getting back to management. Snowden, the NSA, Target etc are just constant reminders that net anonymity is an oxymoron to some level. I don't know why the gov't just doesn't come out and state that anything you put on the net is considered the same as speaking in public and there is no privacy in that and by doing so we all then know the rules. Now if we don't want that then citizens have ways of correcting that.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
There are plenty of ways to be completely anonymous online...however if you participate in a forum long enough, regardless what safeguards you put in place, people can piece enough of what you've volunteered about your life to make an educated guess as to who you are.

rod

Retired 22 years

Hey----I was going to say the exact same thing.