herbigharo32

Hello folks. This post is to bring an urgent issue to discussion. At the DFW Airport Hub #0764, anyone who is late, even by a minute or seconds are having their in-punch changed to NCNS then sent home for the day. A NCNS on the work record does subject an employee to immediate termination or letter with intent to terminate on short or no notice. This policy has the potential to unfairly punish even the best workers. To add insult to injury, one of the hub supervisors along with shop steward said this practice was approved by the labor manager.

Yes, there are those who are habitually late at my hub, often more than 10 minutes. There are those who have got away with not showing up for days on end or taking time off at will; read: not mentioning names because those who work Sunrise #0764 already know who they are. These habitual offenders should be dealt with without having 1000 employees walking on eggshells.

There are only a few reasons for this move on part of management. One is to make most new employees quit showing up thus saving on unemployment costs. Second is use the NCNS on employee records as a means to build a case to later terminate; long-term employees should be rightfully concerned about this, even the best ones.

I've spoken to an HR person and full-time supervisor from another hub in another part of the country and got some good input. To help protect yourself, you must do the following:

1. ALWAYS clock-in, even if late. Reason being is there is a record of your arrival. The supervisor will have to edit your punch to an NCNS. Your punch will show as deleted then resubmitted as NCNS on the punch log.
2. If your WOR shows an inaccurate punch or NCNS, DO obtain a copy of your punch log from management or HR office.
3. Always keep your own record of all times worked. Check your paystub weekly against your own record of monies owed.
4. NEVER work off the clock, no exceptions! Don't do any signing, PCMs, safety quizes, etc... Clock in first always!! Yes, an employee got a NCNS for doing a safety PCM at the front door.
5. If late, even by a minute, do note the reason. Everyone will at one point have their alarm clock fail, get a flat tire, or hit unusual traffic at some point.

Those five steps will allow you to build your own defense. Having your own defense ready is critical in the event you may need to save your job.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hello folks. This post is to bring an urgent issue to discussion. At the DFW Airport Hub #0764, anyone who is late, even by a minute or seconds are having their in-punch changed to NCNS then sent home for the day. A NCNS on the work record does subject an employee to immediate termination or letter with intent to terminate on short or no notice. This policy has the potential to unfairly punish even the best workers. To add insult to injury, one of the hub supervisors along with shop steward said this practice was approved by the labor manager.

Yes, there are those who are habitually late at my hub, often more than 10 minutes. There are those who have got away with not showing up for days on end or taking time off at will; read: not mentioning names because those who work Sunrise #0764 already know who they are. These habitual offenders should be dealt with without having 1000 employees walking on eggshells.

There are only a few reasons for this move on part of management. One is to make most new employees quit showing up thus saving on unemployment costs. Second is use the NCNS on employee records as a means to build a case to later terminate; long-term employees should be rightfully concerned about this, even the best ones.

I've spoken to an HR person and full-time supervisor from another hub in another part of the country and got some good input. To help protect yourself, you must do the following:

1. ALWAYS clock-in, even if late. Reason being is there is a record of your arrival. The supervisor will have to edit your punch to an NCNS. Your punch will show as deleted then resubmitted as NCNS on the punch log.
2. If your WOR shows an inaccurate punch or NCNS, DO obtain a copy of your punch log from management or HR office.
3. Always keep your own record of all times worked. Check your paystub weekly against your own record of monies owed.
4. NEVER work off the clock, no exceptions! Don't do any signing, PCMs, safety quizes, etc... Clock in first always!! Yes, an employee got a NCNS for doing a safety PCM at the front door.
5. If late, even by a minute, do note the reason. Everyone will at one point have their alarm clock fail, get a flat tire, or hit unusual traffic at some point.

Those five steps will allow you to build your own defense. Having your own defense ready is critical in the event you may need to save your job.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just show up on time

I dunno...

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
One minute late is a tardy, not a no call no show, and subject to the attendance occurance policy. They are falsifying records. When being sent home for being tardy after punching in, be sure to grieve to get your guaranteed time, or show up time, if allowed for in your supplemental or rider.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
One minute late is a tardy, not a no call no show, and subject to the attendance occurance policy. They are falsifying records. When being sent home for being tardy after punching in, be sure to grieve to get your guaranteed time, or show up time, if allowed for in your supplemental or rider.

If your late you give up your guarantee

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If your late you give up your guarantee

I've never heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. But they can't have their cake and eat it too. If you show up late, they need to mark it as an occurance and let you continue to work. If they send you home, the tardy shouldn't count against you at all, at worst, it should just count as a lay off day. But then you could grieve for being laid off if people with less seniority are working. They just need to stick with the actual attendane policy, and not just make up crap as they go.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Being treated equally is a double edged sword. It’s obvious your hub has problems with attendance and follow up discipline to get to this point.

Knowing what you now know, I think your efforts should be turned to making sure everyone, including yourself, show up to work early. The habitual late employees will soon conform to the standards or face the concequences.

It’s the flavor of the month game, play it or be played, your choice.

km3

In the central you don't get your guarantee if you're late. They usually don't send people home for the hell of it though.

OP still has other grievances to file though.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
The "always late" crowd are generation snowflake I would bet. The start time is just a number to them. No need to leave early for work or to put the phone down.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2018-2-6_7-38-5.png

Indecisi0n

So if your going to be a minute late just call in as your going to work. Or better yet, have the entire staff call in everyday and say "I might be a minute late". After hundreds of calls a day roll in I am sure the problem will fix itself. Power in numbers.

F

Frankie's Friend

Who cares what a labor manager says?!! Do you pay union dues? Call your BA when the steward lays down and lets management wipe their feet on him/her. May as well get the party started because sooner or later youre going to legally duke it out with "the labor manager" and it may as well start today.