'Bubble of Goodness' processing center may close

This has been put on hold for 5 months but is simply delaying the inevitable. This work will be transferred to Albany and will simply add a day or two to intra-zip mailings.
But it still puts 20 people out of work and that's just one centers concern. I think about small communities here in West Texas that will invariably loose their post offices. The small town my wife is from (and hundreds of others like it) has no door to door delivery for mail, everyone has a post office box. The rhetorical question is,
How will they get their mail? I don't think anyone has an answer. I do know the PO can't continue as is.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In the case of a P.O. which currently does not offer door to door service they would have to introduce it if they were to close the local branch. They would drop off the mail each morning and return that evening to make the pickup. They would hire a rural carrier to deliver the mail. People in the town(s) affected would have to put up mail boxes to receive their mail using their 911 addresses.

menotyou

bella amicizia
But it still puts 20 people out of work and that's just one centers concern. I think about small communities here in West Texas that will invariably loose their post offices. The small town my wife is from (and hundreds of others like it) has no door to door delivery for mail, everyone has a post office box. The rhetorical question is,
How will they get their mail? I don't think anyone has an answer. I do know the PO can't continue as is.
3 miles away, Ellisburg, is losing it's Post Office. It's more than just a place to get mail. It is the center of town.

In the case of a P.O. which currently does not offer door to door service they would have to introduce it if they were to close the local branch. They would drop off the mail each morning and return that evening to make the pickup. They would hire a rural carrier to deliver the mail. People in the town(s) affected would have to put up mail boxes to receive their mail using their 911 addresses.
That could be one solution, most rural carriers are contract and I don't think (not sure) they have any benefits.
Another solution would be to operate an unmanned office with the boxes and install vending machines (most offices already have them) for stamps. They could include smaller amounts of envelopes too.

What our scenarios have just done was create more unemployment. Is there a way to save postal services AND jobs?

Sounds like a Starbuck's demographic!!
Can't speak to the starbucks in your area, but here the demographics are mostly yuppies and younger. I doubt the average customer here often qualifies for a seniors discount. LOL

Hey, you whippersnapper hows about brewing em up one of those snapperchino smawties. eeeeh nawww

moreluck

golden ticket member
Can't speak to the starbucks in your area, but here the demographics are mostly yuppies and younger. I doubt the average customer here often qualifies for a seniors discount. LOL

Hey, you whippersnapper hows about brewing em up one of those snapperchino smawties. eeeeh nawww
OK, that made me laugh, because we have a 74 yr. old Texan that I run into all the time and he says stuff very much like what you just said in his Texan drawl.....then he always asks me, "What're we gonna do with that Obama character." He gets his hot mocha and is out the door. That particular Starbucks is inside the grocery store, so the demographics there are whoever goes to the grocery store, I guess.
I actually switched to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf..............after many, many years as a Starbuck's regular......they changed their artificial sweetner in the frappucino and made it taste bad to me, so I quit them.

OK, that made me laugh, because we have a 74 yr. old Texan that I run into all the time and he says stuff very much like what you just said in his Texan drawl.....then he always asks me, "What're we gonna do with that Obama character." He gets his hot mocha and is out the door. That particular Starbucks is inside the grocery store, so the demographics there are whoever goes to the grocery store, I guess.
I actually switched to Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf..............after many, many years as a Starbuck's regular......they changed their artificial sweetner in the frappucino and made it taste bad to me, so I quit them.
You can take the man out of Texas but ya can't take Texas out of the man. LOL. My son in law manages a Starbucks here, I only drink Folgers.

moreluck

golden ticket member
You can take the man out of Texas but ya can't take Texas out of the man. LOL. My son in law manages a Starbucks here, I only drink Folgers.
I drink Folgers at home in the mornings. Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf at 10AM and I use my Keurig and drink Green Mountain at my 2PM coffee break. Whoa, no wonder I'm wound so tight !!!