Bud Shootout

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
DJ will start 15th on Saturday night. I think the odds are 20 to 1 that he might win. Will he let it all hang out and go for the win or quietly fade to the back?

rwsmith67

mattwtrs, He will go to the back like he has been doing for years, he's got millions of dollars of his own and only a few more races, he's not going to risk it, UPS should have dumped him years ago and invested in a much younger driver, if a UPS driver performed like him they wouldn't be around long!!:wink2:

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I'm just glad that NASCAR is back. It has been a long winter and this is the first sign that spring is almost here. I would hope DJ would go for the win since he is only running the first few races of the year. Better to go out on top than just fading away.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
CEMENT,
I was watching, and I was actually crying when he won.
After losing his Dad at that track, and then losing DEI to keep his sanity, how wonderful to tell Teresa to kiss his derier. In front of millions. IMHO he was sabotaged all year is 2007. And while he did win with a little help from his friends, he was out front constantly, and I feel the other drivers felt the same as I did, and wanted him to win.
He blew more engines than the worst team out there, I dont think it was anything to do with his ability, I think he had a wicked stepmother who wanted him to fail, and if he hadnt made the painful decision to leave, he would never have had a chance to shine.

FAVREFAN

Just curious. Will you guys continue to follow/support the sport with the growth of Toyota and the ever more foreign drivers? If lets say, Honda does enter in a few years, and Honda and Toyota were to dominate the series.......will you support it? Just curious.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I will still watch,it"s just as much fun watching a Toyota crash as a ford or a Chevy. Competition is good so it will make everyone try harder to to stay on top.

helenofcalifornia

It was a looonnnggg 11-12 weeks without NASCAR. I am glad Jr. won. I hope he has a great season. I agree with Tooner that that boy had to have been sabotaged by DEI with all those engine failures.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

3 days until pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. That is the true sign that spring is just around the corner.

Although I could truly care less about NASCAR, it was good to see Junior win and, I agree, he should have showed Teresa how he really feels. DJ needs to go out in style and make his way over to ESPN.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I don't think Jr. was setup to lose but you are not alone in your thoughts. I listen to NASCAR 128 on Sirius all day every day in my UPS truck and half the Jr. callers are on the same page as you are. I would say that I noticed an intreresting spike in Truex's performance after it was announced that Jr. ws going to Hendrick.

diesel96

Need some recomendations from the real hardcore nascar fans. We (8 of us) are starting our annual fantasy pool. $250 a person for the first 26 races...we all draft 5 drivers each (tally four drivers scores each week and one driver stays in the garage) . Our drafting order is 1 thru 8 on the first round then 8 thru 1 on the 2nd round and so on... Now we all know pretty much the top 8 drivers out there, what I'd like to know are some recomendationations for 2nd,3rd 4th,5th round draft picks because I haven't kept up with the insights of this seasons potential up and coming teams and rookies. Any tidbits apprieciated. THX

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would've LOVED to see Jr get out of the car for the interview & say "Teresa, this ones for you!!" & flip her the bird.
That was what I was hoping for, but he has too much class these days. I think joining Hendricks, has brought a certain amount of maturity to him.
And yes it is all in the EQUIPMENT!!

Cementups

Box Monkey
Need some recomendations from the real hardcore nascar fans. We (8 of us) are starting our annual fantasy pool. $250 a person for the first 26 races...we all draft 5 drivers each (tally four drivers scores each week and one driver stays in the garage) . Our drafting order is 1 thru 8 on the first round then 8 thru 1 on the 2nd round and so on... Now we all know pretty much the top 8 drivers out there, what I'd like to know are some recomendationations for 2nd,3rd 4th,5th round draft picks because I haven't kept up with the insights of this seasons potential up and coming teams and rookies. Any tidbits apprieciated. THX

After the top 15 drivers it's pretty much up in the air. I personally like Casey Mears as a darkhorse this year. With Jr. joinging the Hendrick camp he is going to fly under the media radar. According to his interview last week he prefers it that way. Juan Pablo should also have a better year than his rookie campaign though he did finish 20th in points last year. Newman, Harvick and Edwards should also be hot.

As far as your rookies for this year right now your safest bet is Sam Hornish Jr. since he is the only rookie locked in the top 35 and will be the only rookie to be gauranteed to start the first 5 races.

*Note: these are my thoughts, along with some help from NASCAR radio and I can not be blamed for your bad season if you were to have one.