Buddy retired 5 years after his retirement date.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I agree but I know a few that retired too early and didn't save enough
ANY side job a person would HAVE to take would be better than the :censored2: you had to put up with at UPS. And when that check comes once a month, no matter what else you are doing or have to do, there is a feeling that you got the last laugh.

ANY side job a person would HAVE to take would be better than the :censored2: you had to put up with at UPS. And when that check comes once a month, no matter what else you are doing or have to do, there is a feeling that you got the last laugh.
But some people started families late in their career, so people have a mortgage and some supplements do not have retiree health care.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
But some people started families late in their career, so people have a mortgage and some supplements do not have retiree health care.
I hear ya.
Everyone has to do what they have to do.
But the guy ( and I know one, a perfect example ) who continues to give his days dressed in brown and does not have to, that's what I will never understand.

ManInBrown

Left over a quarter million of pension payments on the table. just don't get it . so he'll get maybe 500-600 more a month in his pension.it will take 40 years to break even.

he could have retired 5 years ago , collect 50k a year on his pension and worked another job or started a sideline business if they needed the money.

worked for half wages as I see it.
We have guys in feeders that just won’t leave. Many are eligible and they just hang around and keep working. Makes absolutely no sense. The day I’m eligible, I’m gone.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
We have guys in feeders that just won’t leave. Many are eligible and they just hang around and keep working. Makes absolutely no sense. The day I’m eligible, I’m gone.
well I agree with some responses that every driver has a different situation. children in college and divorce being good reasons to stay on. could also be poor money management being another reason.

I used to laugh in the parking lot seeing all the new toys drivers were buying after a new contract was approved. new trucks, harleys, toy haulers, 5th wheel trailers , boats etc.

some drivers would trade up in houses which didn't make sense especially when getting close to retirement. i guess a lot people think this is all guaranteed money coming in so "why worry?"

we planned for retirement from the time i got this union job. beforehand I thought i would have to work until 67 or 70 for max social security. I went out at age 58.

Thank You Teamsters!

What'dyabringmetoday???

well I agree with some responses that every driver has a different situation. children in college and divorce being good reasons to stay on. could also be poor money management being another reason.

I used to laugh in the parking lot seeing all the new toys drivers were buying after a new contract was approved. new trucks, harleys, toy haulers, 5th wheel trailers , boats etc.

some drivers would trade up in houses which didn't make sense especially when getting close to retirement. i guess a lot people think this is all guaranteed money coming in so "why worry?"

we planned for retirement from the time i got this union job. beforehand I thought i would have to work until 67 or 70 for max social security. I went out at age 58.

Thank You Teamsters!
Why did they bring boats and 5th wheelers to work?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Why did they bring boats and 5th wheelers to work?
usually on Fridays. get off work Friday afternoon or Saturday morning and get an early start to lake/campground.

a lot of it was keeping up with the jones' also. one guy would buy a big pick up and another would buy a big pick up with a lift kit , then another one would buy a dually truck. the boats and 5th wheels would be bigger than the latest. then all the drivers did in the break room would brag about their toys and how much they cost.

it was comical. I drove a 30 plus year old car to work every day with over 300k miles .

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
when you run the numbers and see how of your working dollars goes to taxes, gas, wear and tear on vehicles, food take out etc. many people should retire.

our taxes really dropped thru the floor and we get huge refunds now. that's a great way of looking at it. UPS pays us to stay home. LOL! I should call and thank them.
So you don’t claim any of your side business that you’re making so much on. Interesting.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
just found out another driver died 6 months after he retired. was 67 years old. had no immediate family . he told me about 10 years ago when I asked him about retiring that he had nothing to do so he kept working.

a neighbor of his said after he retired all he would do was watch TV or sit on his porch and drink beer. it sure didn't take long.

Shiftless

just found out another driver died 6 months after he retired. was 67 years old. had no immediate family . he told me about 10 years ago when I asked him about retiring that he had nothing to do so he kept working.

a neighbor of his said after he retired all he would do was watch TV or sit on his porch and drink beer. it sure didn't take long.

I have seen so many drivers do this thru my years it just boggles the mind.

Lucky for me I met a long time driver about to retire who taught me one heck of a lesson! It's mid 1976 I am a punk :censored2: kid learning the do's and don'ts and this driver was really one heck of a driver and company spokesman. I did his route for 6 months after he retired and I would get asked daily "hey driver where's Harry" and I would have to tell them he retired and they would all say the same thing "he really did it huh?". This was one well liked driver!!!!

Sad thing was he died after 6 months of retirement sitting and drinking beer on the couch as he had promised! At 65 and 6 months of age! UPS was all he knew and he was loved BIG TIME by people on his route! Such a spokesman for the company! Such a mentor for me! He was my first introduction into WAD (work as directed) and "don't be a slacker" he would say. Meaning give more than a 100 %, treat your customers right, yet work as directed so they cant fire you! Seems simple to say and for the young guns of today probably tough to understand I'm guessing.

It taught me? I didn't want to be that old guy clinging on to something that was blinding himself on the real meaning of life! Life is to be lived, not be run over by it! Prepare to retire NOW!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have seen so many drivers do this thru my years it just boggles the mind.

Lucky for me I met a long time driver about to retire who taught me one heck of a lesson! It's mid 1976 I am a punk :censored2: kid learning the do's and don'ts and this driver was really one heck of a driver and company spokesman. I did his route for 6 months after he retired and I would get asked daily "hey driver where's Harry" and I would have to tell them he retired and they would all say the same thing "he really did it huh?". This was one well liked driver!!!!

Sad thing was he died after 6 months of retirement sitting and drinking beer on the couch as he had promised! At 65 and 6 months of age! UPS was all he knew and he was loved BIG TIME by people on his route! Such a spokesman for the company! Such a mentor for me! He was my first introduction into WAD (work as directed) and "don't be a slacker" he would say. Meaning give more than a 100 %, treat your customers right, yet work as directed so they cant fire you! Seems simple to say and for the young guns of today probably tough to understand I'm guessing.

It taught me? I didn't want to be that old guy clinging on to something that was blinding himself on the real meaning of life! Life is to be lived, not be run over by it! Prepare to retire NOW!
sounds like the same guy i was speaking of.

I think they call it institutionalized .....

What'dyabringmetoday???

usually on Fridays. get off work Friday afternoon or Saturday morning and get an early start to lake/campground.

a lot of it was keeping up with the jones' also. one guy would buy a big pick up and another would buy a big pick up with a lift kit , then another one would buy a dually truck. the boats and 5th wheels would be bigger than the latest. then all the drivers did in the break room would brag about their toys and how much they cost.

it was comical. I drove a 30 plus year old car to work every day with over 300k miles .
So do you have a picture of that 1966?

Almost

We have several with 50 plus years in. $120 to130k working (mileage runs), pension 50k (if on old contract and over 70 1/2), 25k?? for SS (age appropriate) And mandatory withdrawals of the 401. They just look at the total and smile every Thursday. So if you want to work that's fine, I don't have to pretend to understand it.
I do not want to retire and then go straight into a nursing home.

rod

Retired 22 years
I just think of all the fun I’ve had during the last 18 years of being retired and laugh at those who continue to work after they have their 30 in. If they need to that is one thing but those who continue to work when they don’t have to are nuts.