Bumped

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whatever.

Let's look at this from a logistics point of view. The current method is to have the center load 2-3 trailers by hand. The trailer is then driven to the stop and parked on a door. The PC driver then unloads the trailer by hand, scanning each box, and loading those on to a pallet or rollers. When he is almost done with the trailer he calls the center so that they can send the 2nd trailer there. Trailers are swapped and the process continues until the stop is complete. The OP says it takes the PC driver 4-5 hours to complete the stop.

Now, let's look at what I think the center will be doing. The preloader will scan and build each pallet. The pallets will be shrink-wrapped and loaded on to a trailer. The trailer will be delivered to the consignee, the pallets will be off-loaded and the receiver will then break down each pallet as needed. The receiver will sign for the delivery after the last pallet is off-loaded on the DIAD which the preloader used to prerecord the stop. The pallets are shrink-wrapped so there is no need to count boxes. A delivery that used to take the PC driver 4-5 hours will now be done in 1-2 hours by the feeder driver(s) and will free up the PC driver to be used more efficiently.

Our center does this on the pickup side. We preposition trailers at larger accounts which are loaded by the shipper rather than have PC drivers load these pickups by hand. It is much more cost effective to do it this way.

This makes sense. I know, common sense and unions don't go together, but this is a good business decision.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I grasp what you are saying and it does make 'good business sense'. It makes horrible moral sense, though. They have made a commitment to us. Should we all stop giving 110%? Should we give to them like I see some Walmart employees give back to their employer?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I grasp what you are saying and it does make 'good business sense'. It makes horrible moral sense, though. They have made a commitment to us. Should we all stop giving 110%? Should we give to them like I see some Walmart employees give back to their employer?

If I were the driver having to deliver that bulk stop everyday I would be overjoyed that they decided to put it on a feeder.

Yes, it does suck for the driver being bumped, but the driver who had his route cut was not being used in an efficient manner.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I just saw freight delivering on Rt. 3, yesterday. If my driver(same area) had to deliver that stop, he would have had to have it brought out to him. I see the point you are making, but I just can't think like that. My grandfather would get out of his grave and slap me.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The issue I see is that now a feeder driver is delivering packages !!!

My local would be pissed that they didn't just load it into a large mall truck and have a package driver deliver. Does anyone else see the problem in this ?

Plus, now the center doesn't get credit for the packages dleivered.

yeldarb

We have several stops that are delivered out of the feeder trailer can you imagine how many package cars it would take to put that many packages in?

bumped

We need more details here. You say his route got eliminated. Are you getting any of the "junk" stops that were thrown on him? Where I'm at his route has to be eliminated for 30 days to bump permanently. Before the 30 days he can follow his work if it is split up between more than 2 drivers and has seniority. If split between 2 drivers he has to follow where the most work is if he has seniority. If you get bumped permanently you should be able to bump any less seniority driver. We are given only 3 bumps, and after the 3rd that person is SOL (unassigned).

Talk to your steward for what your options really are.

bumped

If I were the driver having to deliver that bulk stop everyday I would be overjoyed that they decided to put it on a feeder.

Yes, it does suck for the driver being bumped, but the driver who had his route cut was not being used in an efficient manner.

I'm sure said driver wanted that bulk stop since the driver most likely bid on it. A stop that large would be a deal breaker for anyone wanting to bid on the route.

over9five

Staff member
I wonder if the Feeder driver is responsible for misloads that are on the pallets and in the DIAD with his name on it.

over9five

Staff member
HERE, we have Feeders bring out large stops, however......

The Feeder driver is only responsible for getting the pallets off the trailer. After that, a Package driver has to actually deliver the packages. Different classifications, we cannot do Package work.
If we could deliver the packages, then we should be able to bump Package drivers off Saturday work, like flower delivery today.

One thing will lead to another...

bumped

How is that any different from PC drivers delivering SurePost bags to the Post Office. All we do is scan the label on the bag.

Your drawing at straws here. Its different because even if another postal package gets delivered there my post office will keep it and send it through their system. If its a non postal package the PO gives it back to me with the packages I pick up from them the next day. I also think(my opinion only) that many feel the PO is more honest about returning mislaods than joe-blow pickup.