Burned option day.

Last weekend in north Georgia we had a little “snow storm” I ended up getting about 5” snow. I have a very long driveway that is downhill around the corner over the creek and up the hill. My street is also straight downhill leading to my driveway. I informed my sups and dispatcher Sunday night that there is no way I’m getting out to a main road. No problem. I check my time card Tuesday and they burned an option day. Is there anything I can do abut this or am I SOL?

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
Last weekend in north Georgia we had a little “snow storm” I ended up getting about 5” snow. I have a very long driveway that is downhill around the corner over the creek and up the hill. My street is also straight downhill leading to my driveway. I informed my sups and dispatcher Sunday night that there is no way I’m getting out to a main road. No problem. I check my time card Tuesday and they burned an option day. Is there anything I can do abut this or am I SOL?
Here they would have had a co worker try and pick you up.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
They will burn your option days as soon as they can. I live in Florida. One year we had a hurricane come through and leave the only road from my house to the highway under over a foot of water. Told them I wasn’t going to make it in without a boat. Option day burned. They don’t want you having those late into the year when they really matter.

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Park your car down by the main road next time

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
That's why using the word sick, hanging up and closing all the curtains is always the best answer.
Or, inform management if you want the day off, don't if you need the day off.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Have you tried asking your supervisor?

op: hey mr supervisor can you not use my option day for the day I called out this week?

Supervisor: yes
Supervisor:No
@DelicateDipper

The above is excellent advice. Don’t wait. Your supervisor or manager can easily still access and change your time card for Monday 1/17. The other thing I’d suggest, before you have that conversation, is that you quickly familiarize yourself with that section of your contract in Florida. You can access a digital searchable copy of your contracts through the UPS Rising app. In my area “personal days“ have to be mutually agreed upon by the company and the employee. If you aren’t satisfied with managements response then I’d suggest talking with your steward.

You'll learn rookie. Go to work on the crappy days and save those personal option days for the nice days

ManInBrown

They put you in for an option day because they were pissed you called out so they want you to burn thru any available days you have as fast as possible so they can start discipline in case it happens again. Happens all the time. Where I am in feeders they not only could care less if you call out, but theyll even let you use called in if you have days left but want to save them. I would tell them on Monday to take that option day out. I never told you to use my option. You have to do it Monday morning because later that day timecards are official and can’t be changed.

Est.1998

Why wouldn't you want to get paid for that day?
If you're asking this question, you must be a young driver and your personal days hardly get approved anyway.
Are you an habitual caller outter?

@DelicateDipper

The above is excellent advice. Don’t wait. Your supervisor or manager can easily still access and change your time card for Monday 1/17. The other thing I’d suggest, before you have that conversation, is that you quickly familiarize yourself with that section of your contract in Florida. You can access a digital searchable copy of your contracts through the UPS Rising app. In my area “personal days“ have to be mutually agreed upon by the company and the employee. If you aren’t satisfied with managements response then I’d suggest talking with your steward.
I talked to the center manager the Tuesday morning and he just said “ups worked” even though less than half the routes in my center even left the building.

Why wouldn't you want to get paid for that day?
If you're asking this question, you must be a young driver and your personal days hardly get approved anyway.
Are you an habitual caller outter?
8 years in. I take the days I am entitled to. You know as well as I do that work/life balance is tough at this job and I’d like my OPTION day to be my option. I don’t care about the money it’s the time that I am really missing. I shoveled snow all day I couldn’t go to work. I didn’t enjoy my family or my paid time off.

Est.1998

8 years in. I take the days I am entitled to. You know as well as I do that work/life balance is tough at this job and I’d like my OPTION day to be my option. I don’t care about the money it’s the time that I am really missing. I shoveled snow all day I couldn’t go to work. I didn’t enjoy my family or my paid time off.
No disrespect but you got paid to shovel snow and drink a few beers while your family got to see a real man do manly things. Then you got a good night sleep and enjoying the weekend.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I retired from the same Local you are in,and it's always been pretty much status quo if you call in ( for whatever reason) they will burn an Option Day if you have them.