bus crash kills at least 10 after FedEx truck collision

CJinx

I once read a fascinating piece on Job. God makes no excuses for putting Job through living hell. In fact, it was suggested that when God commanded Job to, "Gird up your loins..." and proceeded to question him, God wasn't even angry. There was no reason to be angry. God had decided to use Job as a game piece with the devil. God didn't ask permission. It seems petty, but God gets to be like that. I don't like it that children are abused, die and all of life seems muddled with anguish but like Job I am compelled to pronounce, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord."
All depends on which book or interpretation you decide to follow. Someone reading the old testament might come to the conclusion that God is an angry, vengeful, vindictive jerk. Whereas in the new testament, God is portrayed as a warm, loving father figure who is ready to forgive your transgressions if only you believe. It would seem that he mellowed out after the birth of his son.

bbsam

Staff member
All depends on which book or interpretation you decide to follow. Someone reading the old testament might come to the conclusion that God is an angry, vengeful, vindictive jerk. Whereas in the new testament, God is portrayed as a warm, loving father figure who is ready to forgive your transgressions if only you believe. It would seem that he mellowed out after the birth of his son.
Or perhaps He can be all of the above. I seem to show multiple sides. Maybe He does too. Even the translation of Yaweh as "I am" has what could be considered a conceited tone as if to say, "I am. Now deal with it."

DontThrowPackages

Or perhaps He can be all of the above. I seem to show multiple sides. Maybe He does too. Even the translation of Yaweh as "I am" has what could be considered a conceited tone as if to say, "I am. Now deal with it."
I was gonna drop this because its just one of those subjects. But here we go again. Whenever someone points out a dichotomy in the bible, someone says ," Why can't it all be....". Because it makes no sense. God kills whomever ticks him off then all of a sudden he stops?
Its because the Old testament and New testament were written by One group of people with two different beliefs. The Old testament is the Jews Bible(Torah). The only reason there's a new testament is because the Jews who believed Jesus was the son of God decided to write their own version of the bible and the Jews who didn't believe Jesus was the son stuck with the Torah or Old testament. Because Jesus believed in loving and turning the other cheek, stories about God killing all stopped. So its not that God changed, its the people who wrote the new testament changed their belief. Because how can a God who willing to kill a city for having orgies parties but will stands by, or look down, and lets/watch Roman soldiers hang the one son he will ever have up on a cross to suffer like a dog? Makes no sense.

Last edited:

bbsam

Staff member
I was gonna drop this because its just one of those subjects. But here we go again. Whenever someone points out a dichotomy in the bible, someone says ," Why can't it all be....". Because it makes no sense. God kills whomever ticks him off then all of a sudden he stops?
Its because the Old testament and New testament were written by One group of people with two different beliefs. The Old testament is the Jews Bible(Torah). The only reason there's a new testament is because the Jews who believed Jesus was the son of God decided to write their own version of the bible and the Jews who didn't believe Jesus was the son stuck with the Torah or Old testament. Because Jesus believed in loving and turning the other cheek, stories about God killing all stopped. So its not that God changed, its the people who wrote the new testament changed their belief. Because how can a God who willing to kill a city for having orgies parties but will stands by, or look down, and lets/watch Roman soldiers hang the one son he will ever have up on a cross to suffer like a dog? Makes no sense.
Well, yeah. If you want to look at the Bible like a twelve year old.

Rainman

Its all good.
If you look at the Torah you will see all kinds of examples of God's love. What Jesus said about living God with all your heart, mind, and soul, and loving your neighbor as yourself came directly out of Deuteronomy. Gods warnings to Israel were often paused in the middle of a sentence to say " but if you change and turn from your sin I will forgive you and relent". God doesn't change, only how we perceive him. There is a lot of killing in the Old Testament, but sometimes drastic measures are necessary to preserve people and cultures.

There are consequences to every action, and God knew that we would screw things up. The only person who could live life right was God himself, so he came to earth in the form of a man to take the punishment upon himself in order to make things right.

Of you think that this world is all there is and when it's over, it's over, then it doesn't make since. But if you believe there is life after death then things start to fall into place and you understand the logic in all of it.

Just trying to clarify, not trying to force any beliefs on anyone. Believe what you want.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

bbsam

Staff member
Or void of logic and common sense.

Or void of logic and common sense.
I think the point is that God, by definition, is not subject to what you and I would call "logic and common sense". Besides, even science and mathematics taken to extremes fails "logic and common sense". Non-Euclidean Geometry, quantum physics, quantum computing, all defy logic. Do you so easily discount those fields? And if you suggest that science has real value and input to human life, I would ask doesn't religion as well?

DontThrowPackages

Of course not. All of those forms of science are based on formulas and proof. Science has proven far more than anyone from a pulpit ever will. Splitting the nucleus of a particle makes no sense, until its broken down to us scientifically and we see the huge hole in the ground.

bbsam

Staff member
Of course not. All of those forms of science are based on formulas and proof. Science has proven far more than anyone from a pulpit ever will. Splitting the nucleus of a particle makes no sense, until its broken down to us scientifically and we see the huge hole in the ground.
All those forms of science are based on formulas and proof until somebody proves them wrong. Quantum physics is direct proof of that. Quantum computing in which the binary codes of 0 and 1 are not mutually exclusive but in fact unlock all new possibilities.

But who has disproven the Golden Rule? Or seen peoples lives turn around due to religious experience? I really don't see how one can be open to one and not the other.

Rainman

Its all good.
Most of the science we have today was just theory a couple of hundred years ago, maybe not even theory. Maybe the proof you are writing about is right around the next corner. Every year more of the bible is being backed up with archeological and scientific discoveries, answering questions that people have had for years. Many intelligent and well educated people have tried over the centuries to disprove the bible and prove that god doesn't exist. So far no one has succeeded in either goal.
If all this was wrong, someone who have done it by now. Maybe all the people who believe aren't wrong after all.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All those forms of science are based on formulas and proof until somebody proves them wrong. Quantum physics is direct proof of that. Quantum computing in which the binary codes of 0 and 1 are not mutually exclusive but in fact unlock all new possibilities."

But who has disproven the Golden Rule? Or seen peoples lives turn around due to religious experience? I really don't see how one can be open to one and not the other.

You are confusing religion (philosophy) with science (proof). All "evidence" of God is anecdotal.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, because religion is philosophy. And what kind of kind, loving God allows 300 Korean kids to perish because he wouldn't guide the ferry around whatever it struck that sunk it?
The same kind that allows you and I to live relatively peaceful, contended lives. Or does God only get the blame?