Business and 21st Century: UNION not needed

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Tell me how the contract is saving me, please. Whereas, without a contract, someone would have looked at the facts & made a decision already.

Oh, and next time you go to pay your mortgage, tell them you feel like charging the payment on your health-care card.

You are wrong here. The national contract and Teamsters representation provides you with a secure job and protection. Otherwise you would be an at-will employee at the expense of the company and they could fire you for anything and nothing.

There is no doubt that you would have been fired in this case because you were a major liability driving on a suspended license unnoticed that upper-management would have had the CMs job.

I really do not think you have much room to talk here from exp as you made it clear when you used a different nickname (whichever it was) that you have always been self-employed and not worked for anyone. Just IMO

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
It would take a really negative attitude in the center to get a manager removed but there would be bell weather signs such as an increase in injuries and accidents and turn over that would probably get noticed by upper management.
Those bellweather signs are there now, and I am sure they are noticed. I have seen some managers moved because of the signs.............

d

705red

Browncafe Steward
Tell me how the contract is saving me, please. Whereas, without a contract, someone would have looked at the facts & made a decision already.

This is probably the only time that I wish we were not union! Just to see your sorry but shown the door! Look up just cause, google it, because as a union member you must meet this criteria to be terminated unless it is a cardinal sin! Then maybe google at will employee!

Oh, and next time you go to pay your mortgage, tell them you feel like charging the payment on your health-care card.
Did you try using your health insurance to pay for your house insurance? Is this why you were uninsured?

UPS Lifer

You mean like their current management staff? Most management would sign a card today if they had the opportunity to join a union.

I am not a UPS hater, i am a ups driver that worked his way up spending 5 years part time. i have 5 sold sales leads this year alone and another 3 still pending. I am also a union steward so i see all the bad that happens to employees, some deserved but most are just an attempt to beat the employee in to submission. IMO

I have questions on the Vacation thread for you - I am just curious...

First of all, I don't think of you as a UPS hater ?? So why the reference?

The hypothetical would assume that the benefit/pension package was a lot less than what you have now.

Your question about what is happening right now with the drivers working obscene hours is exactly what I am talking about. The company is stuck between a rock and a hard place. It is cheaper to work you long hours than hire another driver (or in essence lay off). If the company can eliminate that benefit package and car expense, they are probably saving more than working you 10-11 hours. I don't know at what point the tradeoff is (long hours vs hiring one), but you can bet someone in the Ivory Tower does know.

The company is doing what it can to save money and right now this is the best way to do it. I don't agree with it but it is what it is. Teamsters continue to forget that the management teams have a frozen salary to deal with and they are working long hours as well. It isn't a one way street!

As for FedEx - their model has always been heavy concentration of premium deliveries. America is not paying for premium deliveries right now! That has nothing to do with their workforce.

And I think you know me better than to think that I would agree with beating employees into submission!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have questions on the Vacation thread for you - I am just curious...

First of all, I don't think of you as a UPS hater ?? So why the reference?

The hypothetical would assume that the benefit/pension package was a lot less than what you have now.

Your question about what is happening right now with the drivers working obscene hours is exactly what I am talking about. The company is stuck between a rock and a hard place. It is cheaper to work you long hours than hire another driver (or in essence lay off). If the company can eliminate that benefit package and car expense, they are probably saving more than working you 10-11 hours. I don't know at what point the tradeoff is (long hours vs hiring one), but you can bet someone in the Ivory Tower does know.

The company is doing what it can to save money and right now this is the best way to do it. I don't agree with it but it is what it is. Teamsters continue to forget that the management teams have a frozen salary to deal with and they are working long hours as well. It isn't a one way street!

As for FedEx - their model has always been heavy concentration of premium deliveries. America is not paying for premium deliveries right now! That has nothing to do with their workforce.

And I think you know me better than to think that I would agree with beating employees into submission!
I will look for the vacation thread, but what I am saying is drivers are going home daily, not laid off, but RLO's, so UPs is not saving a dime they actually spending triple time to save a dime.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Good One! LMAO!

Not often do I get a chance to read 19 words that someone writes & immediately know the depths (or lack thereof) of who, what they are.
LMFAO! Your judging me? Look at your screen name, from everything you have psoted about here you should change your name to "livin a nightmare"

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
Originally Posted by 705red
Did you try using your health insurance to pay for your house insurance? Is this why you were uninsured?

I don't want to judge anyone - I want to talk UPS, Unions. You always, when confronted professionally, begin to attack personally. If someone does not want to be judged as a 10 year old kid in a street fight, perhaps they should consider not acting as one.

I will look for the vacation thread, but what I am saying is drivers are going home daily, not laid off, but RLO's, so UPs is not saving a dime they actually spending triple time to save a dime.

Did you file a grievance on this? Doesn't the contract say all layoffs are to be done by seniority only? Wouldn't that be a violation of the contract? Sounds like the company is doing you a favor.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Originally Posted by 705red

I don't want to judge anyone - I want to talk UPS, Unions. You always, when confronted professionally, begin to attack personally. If someone does not want to be judged as a 10 year old kid in a street fight, perhaps they should consider not acting as one.
I dont have the luxury of just being a upser, my day does not end when I punch out. I also work for the union and many many nights I am on the phone until I go to bed. Being a upser and a steward is my life, unless I am on vacation.

You slam the union every chance you get!!!! Yet you fail to realize that without the union you would be fired right now, you would not have the benefits that you have, the grievance procedure, vacations, seniority, pension etc the list goes on. Ups would never have giving us these rights without the sacrifices of some of us and those that came before us!

And yet someone with as little time with this company feels they have the right to slam this organization at will.

Are the Teamsters perfect far from it, but neither are you, but you judge what some of us do for a living and I am a full time UPSer and spend just as many hours on teh weekend doing union work and after work. This is my life and you slam it!

You dont have much time here at UPS and if you dont like the union then leave and see what you will get at a non union job, and maybe you could compare!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Did you file a grievance on this? Doesn't the contract say all layoffs are to be done by seniority only? Wouldn't that be a violation of the contract? Sounds like the company is doing you a favor.
How can he grieve? They have extra drivers at the center. Management goes around asking if a driver wants the day off, either personal, sick or unpaid. Then usually by seniority, people get the day off.

d

UnconTROLLed

perfection

In this area they are lying to employees. They are offering to go home and saying because they punched in for the day and were on the clock UPS is paying into h/w. then sup goes into the time system and deletes the hours or minutes. This has been proven to be happening, myself included. Is actually a pretty big case on one of our sorts.

705red

Browncafe Steward
If a senior driver wants the day over a junior driver he gets it without filing a grievance. UPs will not do package car layoffs here because once a driver is laid off we/she will be off for 3 weeks before they come back to driving.

Here anyone laid off keeps their current pay rate no matter what job they bump into, so UPS does not want to pay someone $29 an hour to load or unload a truck for 8 hours when they have employees making $8.50 that can do that job.

705red

Browncafe Steward
In this area they are lying to employees. They are offering to go home and saying because they punched in for the day and were on the clock UPS is paying into h/w. then sup goes into the time system and deletes the hours or minutes. This has been proven to be happening, myself included. Is actually a pretty big case on one of our sorts.
Sleeve all we have to do is work one day a week here to receive our full weeks pension contribution, thats why the senior guys work at least one day a week.

705red

Browncafe Steward
How can he grieve? They have extra drivers at the center. Management goes around asking if a driver wants the day off, either personal, sick or unpaid. Then usually by seniority, people get the day off.

d
Some peole are just wanna be contract experts! That is only when it pertains to them!

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Red

It is surprising what some people think are rights that they can file on. My guess is that many either cant or dont read. And that is scary.

d

purplesky

You really don't get it AT ALL. UPS pays your pension not the Teamsters. UPS pays your wages not the Teamsters. UPS pays for all your benefits. Without UPS you have no pension - you have no job - you have no benefits.

YOU can say anything you want but the grim reality is that your pay check and pension vanish if the Teamsters get a strangle hold on the company.

GM & Chrysler are the best examples of a union that had a strangle hold on a company.

--------
Here is another news flash - In the 70's, you never heard of layoffs at UPS.

Now UPS pays so much in for YOUR benefits and pension that they have no choice but to minimize the outcome. If the benefit package which includes health & welfare along with your pension becomes more than the company can handle - UPS has to determine at what point they go into survival mode. When you see layoffs - the company is in survival mode.

You can say your a Teamster first when the Teamsters are signing your check and paying your benefits until then.... You are a UPSer first!

Oh I get it alright. The pension exists because of the Teamster contract which UPS pays into. No Teamster contract equals no UPS pension. You work like a DOG for 25 or 30 years and you get a bone and go sit under a tree with your beat up body. You are a Teamster first because if you werent you would not get a bone. You earned that BONE along with all the other DOGS at UPS who have sacrificed their health and personal lives. NOTHING AT UPS IS GIVEN! IT IS EARNED BY THE TEAMSTERS WHO HAVE PRODUCED MANY MILLIONAIRE MANAGERS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Oh I get it alright. The pension exists because of the Teamster contract which UPS pays into. No Teamster contract equals no UPS pension. You work like a DOG for 25 or 30 years and you get a bone and go sit under a tree with your beat up body. You are a Teamster first because if you werent you would not get a bone. You earned that BONE along with all the other DOGS at UPS who have sacrificed their health and personal lives. NOTHING AT UPS IS GIVEN! IT IS EARNED BY THE TEAMSTERS WHO HAVE PRODUCED MANY MILLIONAIRE MANAGERS.
Amusing ... brings back memories of the past. High school I think.

UPS Lifer

That just sounds like pi** poor management to me. I agree with you, it does not make any sense.