Business and 21st Century: UNION not needed

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Let's get one thing straight. UPS is not struggling like they want you to think...at least not in the way many other companies are. They posted a $400 some odd million dollar profit. Down from $800 some odd million at the same time last year, but they are profiting none the less. Much better than a lot of companies. And this is with union burden and taxes and everything in the mix. Don't let them tell you they are struggling to stay afloat cause it's bs. They're not where they want to be, but they aren't going to need govt. loans anytime soon. Once FedEx is forced to pay the same taxes as us, they will loose market share to us. I believe it's alright to run lean in lean times, but don't bs your employees.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Let's get one thing straight. UPS is not struggling like they want you to think...at least not in the way many other companies are. They posted a $400 some odd million dollar profit. Down from $800 some odd million at the same time last year, but they are profiting none the less. Much better than a lot of companies. And this is with union burden and taxes and everything in the mix. Don't let them tell you they are struggling to stay afloat cause it's bs. They're not where they want to be, but they aren't going to need govt. loans anytime soon. Once FedEx is forced to pay the same taxes as us, they will loose market share to us. I believe it's alright to run lean in lean times, but don't bs your employees.

I believe that is the Post Office?

tieguy

Banned

I appreciate your financial insight. could you tell us how many cents on the dollar they made?

tieguy

Banned
You mean like a 779 million dollar loss this last quarter?

Tsk tsk. you're not paying attention redster. No talking about the compensation package. Fdx employees have a lot of perks that actually makes their package pretty competitive. I'll be interested to see how rapidly fdx employees sign up for a union when their currently not doing too bad.

CMON! How many people have been fired only to get their jobs back because of the union? I will say that maybe 1 out of every 15 firings here stick, and thats because of the union!

thats the game being played. We tell everyone their fired and then pretend to let you guys talk us into bringing them back.

rod

Retired 22 years
thats the game being played. We tell everyone their fired and then pretend to let you guys talk us into bringing them back.

Thats one of the many reasons no one takes seriously anything management says. It really is a big game in the long run. I think every driver at my old center was fired at one time or the other, myself included. I've seen drivers fired because they hit a bird that broke their windshiled. Thank God I got out before all that memorizing crap came about or I'm sure I'd been out the door again. Too bad it has to be that way but "it is what it is":wink2: P.S. I only recall 2 drivers that didn't get their jobs back and that was more or less because they never fought their cases. I should also add I had a center manager that was supposedly fired for falsifing a drivers time card - but he resurfaced at another center after about a month.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

That's because the Union wants it. :surprised:
UPS fires driver ... Union gets their job back ... Union looks good ... everybody is happy. :biting:

Dustyroads

Hmmm...Hoax, you are saying that the union wants you to fire workers just so they can get their jobs back and look good. Do they have a minimum number of persons they want fired every month? just wondering...

klein

Für Meno :)
Hmmm...Hoax, you are saying that the union wants you to fire workers just so they can get their jobs back and look good. Do they have a minimum number of persons they want fired every month? just wondering...

No, they don't have it per month, maybe per year. Because all of December is freedoms pipe time ! LOL

Catatonic

Nine Lives
No monthly quota ... just when dues-paying union members start complaining that the Union doesn't do anything for them.
Union requests using Form 4231 if I remember correctly.

UPS Lifer

Hoax, I've worked for 13 center managers in 30 years, and I've seen all styles of management. I'm really fortunate to work for a center manager currently that just doesn't play those little games. It's a refreshing change to respect one's manager. I will do things for him to make the operation work smoother than I ever would have for the twelve center managers before him. Our center works better, our production is better, and our morale is better. It can be done.

I really believe in this philosophy. It can work. I am glad that you can attest to it.

On the other hand....
The more wisdom I attained, the more I realized that the union was a good thing. As long as there is balance it works!

I hear a lot of Teamsters in this thread saying without the union UPS would disembowel the employee and fire at will. I don't believe it for a second.
Granted there are those managers and supervisors who would do that but games are played on both sides.

Remember - It was UPS who invited the Teamsters to represent the workers... Casey was right to do so. Because of UPS, the Teamsters are the largest and most powerful union in USA. However, if the balance goes the wrong way the company could spiral out of control.

It is all about respect and good honest communication. I always respected my stewards and the contract and in turn they respected me. We worked well together to do the right thing. We did not always agree but were able to find common ground because we left our egos at the door.

UPS needs the Teamsters and the Teamsters need UPS! It is a good relationship and creates balance . Anyone who says otherwise has an agenda and I would wonder what their motives are.

Dustyroads

Lifer, you are right again. Casey knew early on that Teamster labor was essential to the success of his business. Prior to the National Master Freight Agreement, Teamster UPSers went on strike state by state. It was a major success for UPS and the Teamsters to negotiate a national contract that provides for security for both parties.

It's nice to work in an enviornment where one isn't continually under attack by management. It's also nice to have the Teamsters, to guarantee that the provisions of the contract will be obeyed.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Lifer, you are right again. Casey knew early on that Teamster labor was essential to the success of his business. Prior to the National Master Freight Agreement, Teamster UPSers went on strike state by state. It was a major success for UPS and the Teamsters to negotiate a national contract that provides for security for both parties.

It's nice to work in an enviornment where one isn't continually under attack by management. It's also nice to have the Teamsters, to guarantee that the provisions of the contract will be obeyed.

Definitely a contender for post of the year.

Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh ... I'll be chuckling about this one all day.
Nice sarcasm! I just love sarcasm as a form of humor.

tieguy

Banned

no quota system. but the union definitely loves this little game because it makes them look good.

Dustyroads

Hoax, there is no sarcasm intended in my post above. I'm one of the fortunate drivers to work for a decent center manager. At the same time, we have a strong union steward and local. These things are not mutually exclusive, believe it or not.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There have been times during my 33 years at UPS where a union was not needed. All they could say to keep you interested in paying union dues was the "you could never be making what you make here on your own".

Basically, without the union, you are worthless. Personally, I never found much intelligence in insulting those people who pay your paycheck.

And of course, trying to strong arm part timers into paying union dues when they have not seen a raise in the starting wage since the 70's?

There have also been times when the Union was very much needed. It all depended on management style. They had none. All went through people school, but none of it stuck.

I have also seen BA's and stewards that were nothing more than a rubber stamp to what ever the management team wanted to do, regardless of right or wrong.

There have been times where I would have gladly taken a 1/3 cut in pay to start earlier, get home sooner, be with family more........

Being in the union is a two edged sword. While there are benefits, there are also drawbacks.

But I also agree, in the over all scope of working for UPS, the union is a must have with the number of rouge managers that move around. Or maybe its just that it has been around so long, there is no way UPS's work force can work any other way...

One thing I can say. There have been more times that I have been proud to be a UPSer than there have been times I have been proud to be a Teamster.

d

d

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax, there is no sarcasm intended in my post above. I'm one of the fortunate drivers to work for a decent center manager. At the same time, we have a strong union steward and local. These things are not mutually exclusive, believe it or not.
Well at least I got to enjoy my misconception for a day (because I don't go on Brown Cafe at work (for Corporate monitors and Red)).
I'm glad you have a good working environment and I think/hope most UPSers do outside of Locals 705 and 701.

jimstud

Banned
Well at least I got to enjoy my misconception for a day (because I don't go on Brown Cafe at work (for Corporate monitors and Red)).
I'm glad you have a good working environment and I think/hope most UPSers do outside of Locals 705 and 701.
that is the exception not the rule.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
It is all about respect and good honest communication. I always respected my stewards and the contract and in turn they respected me. We worked well together to do the right thing. We did not always agree but were able to find common ground because we left our egos at the door.

If only it were still like that!!!!!

UPS Lifer

If only it were still like that!!!!!

Maybe not in your location but just because you hear a lot of folks letting out steam on BC doesn't mean that all of UPS is like that. There are operations that are humming along.

If this company was as bad as some think, people would be leaving left and right. There would be such a high rate of turn over that would probably be UPS number one priority. I have found in my travels at UPS that the people who have the worst attitudes about the company are the same ones who are causing all the problems and therefore getting the negative attention. Come to work ready to battle and that is what you will get (on both sides). At some point, most people realize that life is too short. This is not what your career should be about.

Most of the BC folks are blowing off steam - nothing wrong with that! In fact, this is a great outlet to do it. Most UPSers see just a small part of the company and think that what they see is all there is. Don't fall into that trap.

As for you personally, you may end up with a manager who will make your head spin (in a good way). I hope that day comes for you.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
One note I would like to add to this thread....with people cursing the company because they cut the Safety Money, can someone please tell me the last time the union showed up with free food for being a great dues paying union member? Im not aware of what other upsers pay in dues but out here in the 287 we pay 90 dollars a month. Thats plenty money to show up once a month to hand out something other than Democratic propaganda. So maybe instead of asking if we could operate without a union, we should discuss having OUR union do more for us.