Called in sick. Was harrassed 3 hours later.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
I want language in the next contract that says they cannot call you when off the clock....it’s annoying enough to have the center ring you off the hook for 5 minutes while on road only for them to send you a message “are you going to finish” or “please help blank when you’re done.” And we all have to turn our phones off on scheduled days off to avoid contact. Enough is enough

Y'alls fault for letting management know your phone number. The phone number on file for me hasn't worked in over 3 years.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hell not even that, losing sick and optional days like that will really send you in for a tailspin if you really end up needing them. And they get paid out in lump if you don't use them. Save them for life events: got tickets to a show, meeting a girl at a bar? Not because you fear work lol.

Sick and optional days are designed to be used during the year (as needed), not to be saved and cashed in two weeks before Christmas.

To the OP: you banged in yesterday and already had today scheduled off? Yeah, while you will most likely get paid for today, you probably won't get paid for yesterday.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
So you do call in alot, specifically to get out of working Saturdays.

Certainly explains the response.

We have attendance guidelines to follow. Push them to the limits and you should not be surprised when management starts pushing back, especially if that many are doing it, causing staffing issues.

Having a job comes with some commitments. It is called being an adult.
i call off every saturday to get drunk

Est.1998

So you do call in alot, specifically to get out of working Saturdays.

Certainly explains the response.

We have attendance guidelines to follow. Push them to the limits and you should not be surprised when management starts pushing back, especially if that many are doing it, causing staffing issues.

Having a job comes with some commitments. It is called being an adult.
Calling out every Saturday is irresponsible especially for the sole reason of not wanting to work.
I know the feeling of being worked to the limit and upset because you feel unappreciated but keep in mind, you came to UPS begging for a job, UPS didn't come to you.
UPS, like any other employer, has its * up moments but I can't think of anything legit that pays as well, excellent benefits, great paid vacations, week of sick and personal days, and not need a college degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

goosie

Calling out every Saturday is irresponsible especially for the sole reason of not wanting to work.
I know the feeling of being worked to the limit and upset because you feel unappreciated but keep in mind, you came to UPS begging for a job, UPS didn't come to you.
UPS, like any other employer, has its fcked up moments but I can't think of anything legit that pays as well, excellent benefits, great paid vacations, week of sick and personal days, and not need a college degree.

That isnt my sole reason of taking off. My sole reason for taking off is mental health, Im sick obviously; to think I am actually causing that much of an impact, coocoo.

Im using my off days as intended to take care of my health. The company will live. Eventually I will run out of days. usually I cash out all my days so why not use them for once in my life

and "coming to UPS begging for a job" hahaha nah. Im pt, this is not my bread and butter. benefits are good but 20k a year even with overtime is chuck change.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
That isnt my sole reason of taking off. My sole reason for taking off is mental health, Im sick obviously; to think I am actually causing that much of an impact, coocoo.

Im using my off days as intended to take care of my health. The company will live. Eventually I will run out of days. usually I cash out all my days so why not use them for once in my life

and "coming to UPS begging for a job" hahaha nah. Im pt, this is not my bread and butter. benefits are good but 20k a year even with overtime is chuck change.
What is your main job?

JustDeliverIt

As long as you have days to use, it's your prerogative as to when to use them. While I would never suggest blowing through them the minute you get them, to each their own. Just don't expect any favors if you're out of days and find out you really need a day in 6 months and you have none left.

Over70irregs

Or answer the phone and next time lay into that manager with everything you've ever wanted to say to a person.

Call me on my personal phone on my personal time and think you can talk to me like you're my boss. I know one thing he'll hang up on me before I will him. :)
Just start cursing out loud as soon as you answer the phone. Then say oops thought you were my ex. My bad.....

UPSER1987

Working preload. We start at 4am. Decided to call off and got in touch with the office and a part time sup at 2:18 am after trying after 1/2 an hour trying to reach them. Told them I needed to use a sick day. boom. Went back to sleep.

Get a call at 5am from a full time sup telling me "I didn't sound sick" and I needed to come in or I would be suspended and that they didnt get the call for a sick day.

My sole response was "just make sure I get paid for my sick day, I told supX at 218am that I was going to be sick" then I hanged up.

Im worried now.

I really need management to stop harassing me. Would it be a waste of time going EEOC after my grievance? What steps should I take to best defend myself?

Why would you even answer the phone? That was pretty stupid.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As long as you have days to use, it's your prerogative as to when to use them. While I would never suggest blowing through them the minute you get them, to each their own. Just don't expect any favors if you're out of days and find out you really need a day in 6 months and you have none left.

I used to run out of personal and sick days long before I ran out of year.

AwashBwashCwash

Hell not even that, losing sick and optional days like that will really send you in for a tailspin if you really end up needing them. And they get paid out in lump if you don't use them. Save them for life events: got tickets to a show, meeting a girl at a bar? Not because you fear work lol.

I always use my vacation and option days as soon as I get them.
I figure the chances of being fired at this :censored2:hole are so high that I might as well ensure that I will get the paid time off.