Calling OSHA

What'dyabringmetoday???

Just wondering what would happen.
Let's say, """hypothetically""", my building is completely inadequate for the amount of volume we process.
I'm talking floor-to-ceiling bricked out exit doors, the belt backed up 30+ feet with stuff falling off the side, zero room to walk in the aisle, having to step over boxes and stack outs, egress a distant afterthought, rental trucks pulled up to the building with huge gaps between the truck and the building like a pitfall, having to step up and down 3+ feet into the rental 500+ times a morning while ducking head, almost snapping ankle a couple times an hour, and so on. The works.
I want to emphasize that none of this can be remedied by simply hiring more people and that the building itself is too small to handle the volume.
If I call OSHA can I get this whole operation shut down until UPS builds something bigger? Just wondering.
The strongest labor union in the world never allows these things to happen. Lol.

over9five

Staff member
We already have them. Nobody wears them, but we have them.
They were pushing this hard yesterday. Many of the yard guys come in wearing tshirts (yellow with reflective stripes) that they bought themselves. These are no longer allowed, you have to wear the vest UPS gives you.
Also, I've seen the ones you can get from the Local with the Teamster logo on the back. No longer allowed!

BlackCat

They were pushing this hard yesterday. Many of the yard guys come in wearing tshirts (yellow with reflective stripes) that they bought themselves. These are no longer allowed, you have to wear the vest UPS gives you.
Also, I've seen the ones you can get from the Local with the Teamster logo on the back. No longer allowed!
Sorry boss, somebody took it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Just wondering what would happen.
Let's say, """hypothetically""", my building is completely inadequate for the amount of volume we process.
I'm talking floor-to-ceiling bricked out exit doors, the belt backed up 30+ feet with stuff falling off the side, zero room to walk in the aisle, having to step over boxes and stack outs, egress a distant afterthought, rental trucks pulled up to the building with huge gaps between the truck and the building like a pitfall, having to step up and down 3+ feet into the rental 500+ times a morning while ducking head, almost snapping ankle a couple times an hour, and so on. The works.
I want to emphasize that none of this can be remedied by simply hiring more people and that the building itself is too small to handle the volume.
If I call OSHA can I get this whole operation shut down until UPS builds something bigger? Just wondering.
Calling OSHA is not enough.

You must file a formal complaint to get OSHA to take action.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I assume you have just described 90% of the UPS buildings on any given work day. If you do call OSHA though don't be surprised if the day they show up things are all cleaned up when they get there.--It's funny how stuff like that happens. :-)
This is partially true.

OSHA doesn’t announce that they are inspecting when responding to a formal complaint.

UPS management will hold up their entry into the building as long as they can while they do their emergency corrupt sweep of the building.

In the instance of my formal complaint the OSHA Compliance Officers were held in the customer counter for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours before they gained entry.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
As a result of some of recent OSHA Charges, the decade old "corporate-wide settlement agreement" in regards to egress has been vacated.

Taken straight from the article you mentioned published 5 months ago...

The settlement agreement is still in effect, an OSHA official confirmed.