An ugly prediction that you can hold me to...

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
How is it working out this year Sober?

Lousy.

I dont have the bike helper on my route this year, at least not yet. There is a bike helper on the route next to me, but instead of working out of a pup trailer he works out of a rented "Pod" storage unit. This is better in some respects because the driver he works for isnt forced to backtrack at the end of the night to retrieve the trailer.The downside is that his driver has all the deliveries crammed into his truck and he has to dig them out and load them into the Pod every morning before he can start his own deliveries. It is still a huge hassle and waste of time for no real benefit.

The guy on the bike is unable to resolve our most urgent problem, which is pickup containment. My stop count has doubled, but I am not getting enough help with bulk and pickups. From 3:00 to 4:30 I have 32 pickups that hit me with up to 500 cubic feet and 3500 lbs of volume....all of which must be forced into a P700 that is still half full of undelivered stops. I have 17 years of area knowledge and I am spending several hours of my day backed up to docks and lumping pig iron, while drivers with zero area knowledge are wandering around lost in my loop with map books and flashlights, trying to find stops in the dark. In other words...a typical, poorly planned train wreck of a peak season is now underway!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What if the driver does not know how to ride a bike ?

None of our seniority drivers are riding bikes this year, we are seriously understaffed so if you are certified and have a DOT card you are gonna be in a truck for 12 hours. The bikes are being used by peak hires who knew when they applied that being able to ride a bike was a condition of employment.

rod

Retired 22 years
None of our seniority drivers are riding bikes this year, we are seriously understaffed so if you are certified and have a DOT card you are gonna be in a truck for 12 hours. The bikes are being used by peak hires who knew when they applied that being able to ride a bike was a condition of employment.

do they have to be able to chew gum at the same time?