Can I be disciplined for calling out 40 minutes before PCM?

Dr.Brownz

I called my center manager this morning to tell him I was sick and going to the doctor. He said it was too late and that we would have a conversation about my inability to call with enough time. I'm going to get a doctor note later today, but I am worried I will be disciplined for the short notice. What should I expect when I return to work? A warning letter?

Dude you can no call no show 3 times in 9 months and not get fired. Tell him sorry but I'm sick

F

Frankie's Friend

Here it’s an hour before start time. They’ll hit you with a NCNS. Maybe a warning letter that can double as a snot rag. Don’t make a habit of it
NCNS sure. After you called in. If your sup/rider says ya gotta call 60 min prior to start time or youll get hit with a ncns then if you cant make that deadline dont call at all and make it worth your infraction. If 5 drivers did this a cpl of times im sure the policy would prob be changed. Dude, im sure the phone was busy when you called in at 1 hr.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dude you can no call no show 3 times in 9 months and not get fired. Tell him sorry but I'm sick

Think about that for a second------what other job would allow you to not show up or much less call to tell them that you are not going to show up and still allow you to keep your job and not be disciplined for missing the day?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Is that in your contract or people just being nice?

The Central Region Supplement gives us an hour to report for work if called, and they use the same section against us. They say that it takes them an hour to replace us, so we have to give them an hour notice if we are not coming to work. No contractual violation.

ARTICLE 12-HOURS OF WORK

Section 6

Employees called to work shall be allowed sufficient time, not to exceed one (1) hour without pay, to get to the center or hub. (The above condition does not apply to employees performing work covered by Article 40 of the National Master Agreement.) Such an employee shall draw full pay from the time he/she reports or registers in as ordered.

542thruNthru

The Central Region Supplement gives us an hour to report for work if called, and they use the same section against us. They say that it takes them an hour to replace us, so we have to give them an hour notice if we are not coming to work. No contractual violation.

ARTICLE 12-HOURS OF WORK

Section 6

Employees called to work shall be allowed sufficient time, not to exceed one (1) hour without pay, to get to the center or hub. (The above condition does not apply to employees performing work covered by Article 40 of the National Master Agreement.) Such an employee shall draw full pay from the time he/she reports or registers in as ordered.

We actually have the language in the Southwest Package Rider.

It's #2
Screenshot_20180313-111518.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180313-111518.png
    Screenshot_20180313-111518.png
    333 KB · Views: 83

Hanz90

I called my center manager this morning to tell him I was sick and going to the doctor. He said it was too late and that we would have a conversation about my inability to call with enough time. I'm going to get a doctor note later today, but I am worried I will be disciplined for the short notice. What should I expect when I return to work? A warning letter?
They can’t fire you for attendance. There was one girl in my center who called out 38 times one year. Nothing happened. There is another driver in my center who never comes on a Saturday when he’s supposed to. They try and scare him but nothing happens. Don’t let them intimidate you. Not saying you should call out that much but just informing you on different situations.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We actually have the language in the Southwest Package Rider.

It's #2
View attachment 185116

It's good that you have specific language on it.....or is that bad. Not much wiggle room.

Although, my reasoning would be that I couldn't give you an hour notice because I was planning on coming in until I puked 5 minutes before leaving the house.

It was impossible, per your rider, to give an hour notification.

542thruNthru

It's good that you have specific language on it.....or is that bad. Not much wiggle room.

Although, my reasoning would be that I couldn't give you an hour notice because I was planning on coming in until I puked 5 minutes before leaving the house.

It was impossible, per your rider, to give an hour notification.

Agree and I have actually used that language before. center manager wanted to give me a NCNS for calling 30min before start. Didn't care that it's because my car broke down. So I filed and put copies of the tow truck receipt and the times I called the center along with the tow truck company.

I told him I'd win and I did. Because conditions made it impossible for me to give proper notification.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Agree and I have actually used that language before. center manager wanted to give me a NCNS for calling 30min before start. Didn't care that it's because my car broke down. So I filed and put copies of the tow truck receipt and the times I called the center along with the tow truck company.

I told him I'd win and I did. Because conditions made it impossible for me to give proper notification.

What exactly did you "win"? Were you reimbursed for the tow and repairs to your vehicle? Or were you simply paid for the day as you should have been from the start.

JackStraw

Called out the other day. I started calling 90 minutes before my ST. Nobody answered the phone! lol. Finally got someone about 30 minutes before my ST. Sup said I can't call out this close to to ST. lol. "Put me in for a sick day please". Of course I called the OMS that night and had her put me in for a sick day cause sometimes they stamp their feet and don't pay ya.

542thruNthru

What exactly did you "win"? Were you reimbursed for the tow and repairs to your vehicle? Or were you simply paid for the day as you should have been from the start.

I wasn't paid for the sick day that I requested and had a NCNS on my record. I requested that I be paid and that the NCNS be removed.

I know it's not a big accomplishment but I've never had a NCNS and it irked me to have one on my record. The reason my car broke down was because a truck in front of me had a piece of metal that flew out of his bed and destroyed my front tire and lodged itself under my car.