Can I be fired?

I just qualified a couple weeks ago. Driving full time now. Saturday I missed a pick up, the ups store no less. I usually can’t pick it up until after 5:30 during the week, but this was Saturday & they close at 5.
I arrived about 5 minutes late. The board said I should pick it up at 4:30 but I didn’t notice until too late. I haven’t missed a pickup before. I called & told my supervisor immediately. Caught hell on the phone.
just wondering what repercussions I may be headed for?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fuzzy Brown

I just qualified a couple weeks ago. Driving full time now. Saturday I missed a pick up, the ups store no less. I usually can’t pick it up until after 5:30 during the week, but this was Saturday & they close at 5.
I arrived about 5 minutes late. The board said I should pick it up at 4:30 but I didn’t notice until too late. I haven’t missed a pickup before. I called & told my supervisor immediately. Caught hell on the phone.

It’s not a cardinal sin and you let them know what happened.
A talk with or warning letter at most.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!

You showed up 5 minutes after they closed and the nobody was there anymore? Seems odd that they wouldn’t call UPS or wait a little bit.

You showed up 5 minutes after they closed and the nobody was there anymore? Seems odd that they wouldn’t call UPS or wait a little bit.

It’s possible another driver did a “sweep” of the store earlier in the day so they may not have had a lot, I really don’t know yet, I’m scheduled off today. Someone else did pickup air that day, I'm not supposed to pick up air there on Saturday so I know no air was missed.

542thruNthru

You missed a pick up. Warning letter at most. Hell we've had guys have 126 late air in one day and only get a slap on the wrist.

Don't worry about it. Just tell the truth.

turq

Saturday ground pick-up is not going anywhere anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially because you were only 5 minutes late AND you called your Sup.

MrBates

Just tell the truth. They can't fire you for missing a pick up, especially a Saturday one since it's technically just a sweep to alleviate Monday volume. Worst case scenario is you go to the principal's office and you get a piece of paper saying you've been a bad boy.

GenericUsername

Follow Orion 100% on Saturdays. It's not your fault if there's a pickup misplaced on the route due to Orion. I know someone who has missed his UPS store nearly every Saturday for 6 months and hasn't so much received a slap on the wrist.

turq

Orion is not an excuse for not making service. That was like the first thing they pounded into us when they implemented it.

RolloTony Brown Town

especially a Saturday one since it's technically just a sweep to alleviate Monday volume.

That may not be 100% true. If it’s a Saturday ground deployed building, then some of the regional volume could be slated to move on a Sunday hub sort (if there is one in OP’s area).

Missed pickup is missed pickup. Warning letter at best if this is a first offense.

GenericUsername

They tell us Orion 85%...but it is "never" an excuse for missing service. So yes they can have it both ways. I never follow it all.

We had our Saturday sup tell us "100%, no exceptions" as he's trying to be the golden child in the district. It bites him in the ass every single week.

turq

We had our Saturday sup tell us "100%, no exceptions" as he's trying to be the golden child in the district. It bites him in the ass every single week

He's full of it and sounds like a real idiot. But if I was you, I would get clarification from your shop steward.

Brownt10

You missed a pick up. Warning letter at most. Hell we've had guys have 126 late air in one day and only get a slap on the wrist.

Don't worry about it. Just tell the truth.
Late air is the new norm in my state. When I started 4 years ago I use to get a big lecture about how important our commitment to the customer is. Now on a nice day they sheet it as weather and anything left in the building gets a future scan. Does that sound honest?

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
and anything left in the building gets a future scan
anything left in ours gets a "known closed" scan so the OMSs can spend the day fielding calls from irate customers yelling and asking how there house is closed. poor older woman with plenty of years as an OMS actually flipped on the center manager about it and almost quit

Arch

I find it strange that you arrived 5 minutes after and nobody was still there. Nor did they bother to call.

I always start pick ups a bit early. You should too because you don't know how long you might be sitting there before you need to get to the next pick up.