Can I drive for UPS if I have 2 misdemeanors?

One for simple assault back in 1999 and one misdemeanor possession of marijuana charge in 2001. Also, what is looked at as far as driving violations? I had a lane violation back in 2006. The officer said when I pulled out of a parking lot I went over the yellow line and got a ticket for it.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
And……….one more time:

Unknown.png

ArcherUTR

I hear you. Probably depends on state and area and on the HR's gumption.

I highly doubt my last misdemeanor was more than 4 years old when I was hired.

But I was hired 12 years ago.

SCV good to go sir.

Because I don't know anything about you. Even if I was interviewing you and you sat down across the desk from me and we were face to face, I still don't know anything about you. I'm assuming those misdemeanors were mistakes from your past that you learned from? That may very well be true, but anyone can say that and I don't know the truth. Assault, I'm going to assume you tried to injure someone? If I hire you as a driver, you're going to be out in the middle of traffic. You're going to have people cut you off left and right, honk at you, yell at you, etc. I need someone that can remain professional despite the stress and not use the package car to assault other motorists. If I hire you, that would always be in the back of my mind. If I have plenty of other applicants (without misdemeanors) that come off as good as you, I would feel more comfortable hiring them to represent the company. In short, your grievous mistake is a potential liability and you would have to really impress me to make me overlook it.

Having said that, that's just my personal opinion as a driver. I am in no way, shape, or form qualified to hire for the company. So don't take my opinion too seriously. If you do (or have already) applied, best of luck to you.

ArcherUTR

I hear you. Probably depends on state and area and on the HR's gumption.

I highly doubt my last misdemeanor was more than 4 years old when I was hired.
Archer, you are a driver, right?

Yes, but I turned down an initial part-time supervisor offer because I didn't know what the :censored2: I was doing and accepted an hourly position. From there I quickly went to supervisor to driver.

sppollock

What is your current job. Are you a P&D driver or an road driver for someone else? I know a driver recently rehired that had a felony in his past, he got his CDL while a dock worker and was promptly told he would never be a driver for UPGF, he went to work at another company got his experience and was just rehired 3 years later. So the reason I asked is that 2 misdemeanors doesn't mean as much if they are so far away and you have good experience with references...

ArcherUTR

So should I just take any position to get my foot in the door if possible and then try to go from there?

No you need to educate yourself, you need to ask questions, you need to decide your entry point, you need to decide your goal.

Then realize UPS sucks, and you need to survive and struggle to hold on to your idealism.