Can I get fired if I leave on the 5th hr

Bobby101

Hey guys I’ve been with 3 years never had a problem with my sups, until this new full time sup comes along and starts getting on my nerves saying I can’t leave until my work is done but I told them numerous amount of times I have another job and I can only do 5 hours. it’s like every other week he brings me in the office with my rep. and I tell them to move me somewhere where I can finish but they always have some excuse why they can’t move me. Any just trying to protect my job so I don’t get fired for job abandonment.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hey guys I’ve been with 3 years never had a problem with my sups, until this new full time sup comes along and starts getting on my nerves saying I can’t leave until my work is done but I told them numerous amount of times I have another job and I can only do 5 hours. it’s like every other week he brings me in the office with my rep. and I tell them to move me somewhere where I can finish but they always have some excuse why they can’t move me. Any just trying to protect my job so I don’t get fired for job abandonment.
Yes

Nah
If they say you have to stay, you have to stay.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Well, you do work for your own convenience. UPS needs to understand that if you have to go and work for someone else, then that UPS :censored2: is going to have to wait until you get back around to it!!

Exactly! LOL...imagine if you owned a bakery and your baker had to leave to work at another job and his work wasn't finished.
Without all the BS about being overworked, abused, over supervised, yadda, yadda, what would you do?
Is it his fault that UPS can't get the freight there on time or that they know I have enough employees to do the job?.

If the company wants to retain some part-time employees they need to be a little bit flexible.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Is it his fault that UPS can't get the freight there on time or that they know I have enough employees to do the job?.

If the company wants to retain some part-time employees they need to be a little bit flexible.

No maieutic please.

Also, nowhere in the OP was there any mention of:
A. freight being there on time
B. not enough employees

No maieutic please.

Also, nowhere in the OP was there any mention of:
A. freight being there on time
B. not enough employees
Well maybe that needs to be negotiated in this upcoming contract. When I started we didn't have that problem. If you worked over 5 hours it used to be they had to pay you for 8 hours

So you're supervisors make sure you was definitely done before the fifth hour

And this company wonders why they can't keep part-time employees.....

Well maybe that needs to be negotiated in this upcoming contract. When I started we didn't have that problem. If you worked over 5 hours it used to be they had to pay you for 8 hours

So you're supervisors make sure you was definitely done before the fifth hour
Never heard that before. Here we get OT after 5 hours.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Start by telling your sup that if you are required to stay then you want a full 8 hours of pay along with an full hour of lunch each time to be taken between your 4th & 5th hour of work.
Add on some more demands each time your brought into the office.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Never heard that before. Here we get OT after 5 hours.
When I started there were Red Circled p/ts who were guaranteed 4 hours and could demand 8 hours of pay if they went over by one minute.
I was a p/t who was guaranteed 3.5 hours only.
Later that was changed to OT after 5 hours.
By that time I was already working full days as an air driver and really didn't want to stay pass my guarantee.

snarts

No, at least not in my hub. You are free to leave after your 5th hour and management can't do anything about it.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Exactly! LOL...imagine if you owned a bakery and your baker had to leave to work at another job and his work wasn't finished.
Without all the BS about being overworked, abused, over supervised, yadda, yadda, what would you do?
Ups needs to understand that most PTers have other jobs and are only here for the benefits, no reason any pt’er should be working more than 5 hours unless they choose to.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Ups needs to understand that most PTers have other jobs and are only here for the benefits, no reason any pt’er should be working more than 5 hours unless they choose to.
I kinda' agree with you. Times have changed. Dragging ass or too much work for 5 hours (on a routine basis) is the question. I've never seen the latter.

trickpony1

Did the baker sign on for full or PT?
Did the baker make the employer aware that he had another job to go to when he hired on?
Did the employer ask?
Was the job advertised as FT, PT or variable hours?
Could the baker's hours be adjusted?

Too many variables.......

Last edited: