Can I get fired if I leave on the 5th hr

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
As a RPCD that goes above and beyond for his customers, yes i do get paid extra.
Examples include but not limited to: Christmas tips, snacks, drinks, meals, and just the good feeling one receives when doing good in the world.
Not to mention, helping to strengthen a good reputation for myself and employer.
😜
F799B0F6-03CA-47F5-AEF4-E5413DFE5A4E.gif

SandSpida

Is there anyway you can tell your second job that you have an obligation to UPS? And if you do get to work late that you will stay late to make up the time. Just giving an alternative solution to your problem.

Shorts365

Exactly! LOL...imagine if you owned a bakery and your baker had to leave to work at another job and his work wasn't finished.
Without all the BS about being overworked, abused, over supervised, yadda, yadda, what would you do?
I imagine if I owned a bakery I’d know how to bake myself, or at least know how to compensate my employees enough to not need another job.

wilberforce15

Ups needs to understand that most PTers have other jobs and are only here for the benefits, no reason any pt’er should be working more than 5 hours unless they choose to.
Yep. This is why the FTers here don't get it and just want to smack part-timers and lecture them to stop being lazy.
We have full commitments and other lives built around those hours.
We run businesses, have second jobs, and third jobs, or provide child care, or whatever else.
When we were hired, hours were listed.
It is reasonable to expect to work the hours for which we were hired.

wilberforce15

Is there anyway you can tell your second job that you have an obligation to UPS? And if you do get to work late that you will stay late to make up the time. Just giving an alternative solution to your problem.
Why not tell UPS that he has an obligation to a second job?
UPS automatically thinks it's the most important thing around.

The labor market is teaching UPS a lesson. They aren't that important. Jobs grow on trees right now, and you are going to lose employees when you lie to them and try to force hours outside of what was listed.

wilberforce15

LOL.
Solid business acumen.
Yep. Better off to just lie about the hours, then lose an employee trying to force them to give up their other commitments.
UPS is learning they aren't the king any more. People have no reason to prefer UPS over other jobs.

Threatening an employee used to work. Now the employee has the leverage.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Yep. Better off to just lie about the hours, then lose an employee trying to force them to give up their other commitments.
UPS is learning they aren't the king any more. People have no reason to prefer UPS over other jobs.

Threatening an employee used to work. Now the employee has the leverage.
LOL. Yeah… you got the leverage. Yawn.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
When we were hired, hours were listed.

Are grown adults really that naive.... ?

The hours they list are approximate, and the onus is on the (future) employee to ask before accepting the job.

It is reasonable to expect to work the hours for which we were hired.

Should have read that Union contract. :biggrin:

We run businesses, have second jobs, and third jobs, or provide child care, or whatever else.

Been there.. done that.. when I was PT "way back when";

UPS was a priority. A (cash) side business and a 3rd weekend job were just means to supplement my income

until a full-time driving opportunity became available. Did it for years.

UPS automatically thinks it's the most important thing around.

The labor market is teaching UPS a lesson.

There is no doubt about that.

wilberforce15

Are grown adults really that naive.... ?

The hours they list are approximate, and the onus is on the (future) employee to ask before accepting the job.

Should have read that Union contract. :biggrin:

Been there.. done that.. when I was PT "way back when";

UPS was a priority. A (cash) side business and a 3rd weekend job were just means to supplement my income

until a full-time driving opportunity became available. Did it for years.

There is no doubt about that.
UPS lies, and any Big Union Guy should know that.
When you're 18 or 20 and apply for a job, and they say 5pm to 10pm, it means 5pm to 10pm.
Because that's what it means at just about every other employer. You are hired for certain hours, and you work them. That's normal.

You don't read a union contract for a throwaway PT job that the union didn't even negotiate wages for that are above market. The union made it a throwaway job, and PTers treat it like that.

wilberforce15

And you have it backwards. The PT job is the side gig that pays no better than walmart, and people work it for the convenient hours. When they mess with the hours, there is no reason to stay.

You don't get FT loyalty to a PT job. That's not how life works.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
UPS lies, and any Big Union Guy should know that.
When you're 18 or 20 and apply for a job, and they say 5pm to 10pm, it means 5pm to 10pm.
Because that's what it means at just about every other employer. You are hired for certain hours, and you work them. That's normal.

Caveat Emptor

:biggrin:

You don't read a union contract for a throwaway PT job that the union didn't even negotiate wages for that are above market. The union made it a throwaway job, and PTers treat it like that.

You're PT.

How is it.... that you are making the hourly wage that you get ?

With 20 years in, you aren't making minimum wage.

wilberforce15

Caveat Emptor

:biggrin:

You're PT.

How is it.... that you are making the hourly wage that you get ?

With 20 years in, you aren't making minimum wage.
You didn't read the contract before you took the job.
You would object to working different hours than you were promised.
You're just pretending that such should be necessary. And you're pretending that UPS doesn't lie.

With 20 years in, I'm making just above the inflation-adjusted starting wage of 1985.
But I'm not complaining about my wages.

I'm explaining to you why people treat the job like trash. They treat it like trash because it is trash. They get less than Wal-Mart pay, for more than Wal-Mart work, and are threatened if they don't work hours that they never agreed to.
People will keep their obligations to school, or child care, or primary jobs (UPS is the secondary job).

The union gave us the PT turnover and short staffing.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You didn't read the contract before you took the job.

I was provided a contact book, as soon I made my 30 days.

And that was in the 70's.

With 20 years in, I'm making just above the inflation-adjusted starting wage of 1985.
But I'm not complaining about my wages.

How can you ?

Every PT employee has 8 kids and a Tesla.

The union gave us the PT turnover and short staffing.

The Union has the ability.... to dictate to UPS.... how to run their business ?

wilberforce15

I was provided a contact book, as soon I made my 30 days.

And that was in the 70's.

How can you ?

Every PT employee has 8 kids and a Tesla.

The Union has the ability.... to dictate to UPS.... how to run their business ?
So, you worked for 6 weeks without reading the contract, but you expect new people to read the contract before starting?

I didn't even know UPS was a unionized workplace until I'd been there a few months.

I'm here for benefits. I can absolutely complain if I needed the money. The wages are lower than you got in the 80s.

Does UPS really think that the young people are so naïve that they can hire someone for a PT job and then switch it to FT and still call it PT? People don't like to be lied to all of the time and then told that it's their fault for not checking the job out before accepting the position.

wilberforce15

Does UPS really think that the young people are so naïve that they can hire someone for a PT job and then switch it to FT and still call it PT? People don't like to be lied to all of the time and then told that it's their fault for not checking the job out before accepting the position.
Yes.

And Boomer FTers think that, too.