Can I refuse to work through break?

I'm an part timer. Sometimes supervisors will run the belt through break to "Get caught up".

WHat happens if I refuse to work? Not working as directed?

freehoodies

I'm an part timer. Sometimes supervisors will run the belt through break to "Get caught up".

Grieve that :censored2: homie. You are being denied your break and/or being worked off the clock. Plausibly supervisors working if they are turning on the belt. Anything that moves a package down the line faster is considered supervisors working.

The one who grieves gets paid, talk to your steward about how to file and what you should file on.

Hopefully your steward is like a hammer looking for a nail, and gives you advice on what to look for and helps you file correctly.

ManInBrown

Was waiting on a trailer the other night and I heard a PTer say to a supervisor “I never even got my break today” sup said “oh sorry about that” no one is showing PTers the ropes?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

LOL.

Okay, so only way you lose here is if you're still a seasonal.
If you are, suck it up for a few more weeks, so that they don't let you go.

Otherwise, WAD, and go find your steward.
Easy, easy grievance, and your steward will probably enjoy the verbal curb stomping that will happen in the office with the full time supervisor when he/she/it realizes their PT supe messed with the wrong hourly.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason your supervisors should EVER instruct you to work through your break.
We do not recognize management's production standards. They can send help if you are backed up.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
yup. more than one way to skin a cat.

work as directed. then bug the :censored2: out of them.
I do not think this is a good approach.

This behavior needs to be stopped right at the source, not ignored.
Some other sucker may not know his rights and let management push him around.

We have contractual rights, and that supe needs to get checked. Hard.

Karma...

depends...are you getting your break between the second and third hour per the contract and state law ?.......or is it that your break isn't with the general shift/area break ?....ive never heard of people being denied their break......do you work in a r.t.w. state ?

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
depends...are you getting your break between the second and third hour per the contract and state law ?.......or is it that your break isn't with the general shift/area break ?....ive never heard of people being denied their break......do you work in a r.t.w. state ?
For part timers in my local (710), we are given our break after the first hour, and before the last.
7. All part -time Employees shall be given a ten (10) minute paid break. Break shall not be scheduled prior to one (1) hour of work, or during the final hour of work being performed, unless emergency situations exist.

Per the original poster, the supervisors were running the belt through the designated break time.
I've heard of people being denied their break before.

PT Crazy

Well, as long as they give you a ten minute break it is okay. You do not need to take break with other people. We do it from like November 15 until January 15. Union said it is fine as long as they give you your break.

Karma...

supervisors working without an emergency declared and the steward notified is purely piss poor management...I am surprised that both the teamsters and upper management allow this ...

upser2020

When they don't do building wide breaks supervisors often cover for employee breaks. No sup should ever ask u to work thru a break. I fill in as one as if I see someone working when break has been called I at the very least make sure they know it's break time. I some times work thru my break but that's my choice and I'm never pressured to do it

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It's always fun when you can list both a contract article and state law for a grievance.
You can also get creative with what you are asking for. Food for everybody next break? Hard to say no.

meritocracy

When they don't do building wide breaks supervisors often cover for employee breaks. No sup should ever ask u to work thru a break. I fill in as one as if I see someone working when break has been called I at the very least make sure they know it's break time. I some times work thru my break but that's my choice and I'm never pressured to do it
If a supe works during your break grieve em. They are only allowed to work for training purposes, to demonstrate safety, or due to an act of God. A break does not fall under any of those exceptions to the language prohibiting supervisors working.

upser2020

So you'd rather supervisors not help out so everyone has to work that much harder to handle the load when someone goes on break?