Can Quality Inspections lead to being fired?

Summary: Is having a quality inspector warn you about write ups bad? Are cameras in trucks a normal thing? Also are sets up a thing in ups??

H there! I don't want to seem paranoid or like I'm overthinking things but ever since this FT Supervisor has started hanging around our area I feel like he's kind of had it out for me although I noticed he's pretty cold to everyone so maybe that's just how he is. I had a misload mishap happen twice awhile ago and ever since then he'll always put tricky SALTs along with my other supervisor's SALTs (ex: I've had like three put in at the same time, not spread out which seemed like overkill to me) I took everyone's advice on that and go at a much slower pace. I haven't had any misloads besides that one tricky SALT he put in but even after that my own supervisor agreed it was too much and to watch out for him. I haven't had any issues so far in that department since I have my eyes peeled but I do feel really intimidated with him around. Today they ended up moving me around a lot and then made me go to this one trailor which I've helped with in the past but I noticed there was a new camera (on top of the light) aimed to look inside the truck. I wanna say about an hour in, this guy I wasn't familiar with told me he was a Quality Inspector but originally he introduced himself with the title Security (?) which freaked me out (lol) and basically asked for my name, if I load this truck often (not really) after I explained how they usually move me around a lot he told me that he was here because that truck has been receiving a lot of poor quality checks or something and that I should watch out for damaged boxes that come in or I can be written up. He made it seem like he was just going around telling everyone so I didn't think much about it until I talked to a buddy who actually loads that truck regularly and he said no one has said anything to him about that which is why I'm a bit concerned. I wish there was a dumbed down union contract I could read but I'm going to be trying my best to study up on that since I don't want any shenanigans ensuing. A supervisor confessed that one time a couple of them had set up for another supervisor to be fired since apparently he was really bad at his job so they purposely made him go fix a jam because they knew he would fix it in an unsafe fashion and so someone prepared to take a picture of him in the act. It worked and I guess he would have had to been a really bad supervisor to have so many people orchestrate that kind of plan together but geez that seems really cut throat to me. I've heard of a bunch of love affairs and fightd that go on here too, I didn't realize UPS had so much drama! Anyway, sorry for going off topic! If anyone has any tips or insight on this kind of thing I'd really appreciate hearing it! Thank you for taking the time to read!

El Correcto

god is dead
Summary: Is having a quality inspector warn you about write ups bad? Are cameras in trucks a normal thing? Also are sets up a thing in ups??

H there! I don't want to seem paranoid or like I'm overthinking things but ever since this FT Supervisor has started hanging around our area I feel like he's kind of had it out for me although I noticed he's pretty cold to everyone so maybe that's just how he is. I had a misload mishap happen twice awhile ago and ever since then he'll always put tricky SALTs along with my other supervisor's SALTs (ex: I've had like three put in at the same time, not spread out which seemed like overkill to me) I took everyone's advice on that and go at a much slower pace. I haven't had any misloads besides that one tricky SALT he put in but even after that my own supervisor agreed it was too much and to watch out for him. I haven't had any issues so far in that department since I have my eyes peeled but I do feel really intimidated with him around. Today they ended up moving me around a lot and then made me go to this one trailor which I've helped with in the past but I noticed there was a new camera (on top of the light) aimed to look inside the truck. I wanna say about an hour in, this guy I wasn't familiar with told me he was a Quality Inspector but originally he introduced himself with the title Security (?) which freaked me out (lol) and basically asked for my name, if I load this truck often (not really) after I explained how they usually move me around a lot he told me that he was here because that truck has been receiving a lot of poor quality checks or something and that I should watch out for damaged boxes that come in or I can be written up. He made it seem like he was just going around telling everyone so I didn't think much about it until I talked to a buddy who actually loads that truck regularly and he said no one has said anything to him about that which is why I'm a bit concerned. I wish there was a dumbed down union contract I could read but I'm going to be trying my best to study up on that since I don't want any shenanigans ensuing. A supervisor confessed that one time a couple of them had set up for another supervisor to be fired since apparently he was really bad at his job so they purposely made him go fix a jam because they knew he would fix it in an unsafe fashion and so someone prepared to take a picture of him in the act. It worked and I guess he would have had to been a really bad supervisor to have so many people orchestrate that kind of plan together but geez that seems really cut throat to me. I've heard of a bunch of love affairs and fightd that go on here too, I didn't realize UPS had so much drama! Anyway, sorry for going off topic! If anyone has any tips or insight on this kind of thing I'd really appreciate hearing it! Thank you for taking the time to read!
File on them handling packages. Let them explain they were busy harassing you when confronted, then file on harassment and micromanagement. I doubt any will stick, but it’ll make you feel better and establish dominance.

El Correcto

god is dead
There is drama everywhere there is people.

You need to learn your methods and work by them everyday.

Your dok should be something like.

Preventing slips and falls

Walk don’t run.

Look before stepping

Establish firm footing

Stay off unsecured chutes, roller, belts and slides. This is an important one, like you highlighted above.

Make adjustments based on changing condition

Lifting and lowering

Get close to the object

Both feet shoulder width apart one foot slightly in front of the other

Bend at the knees keeping the natural curve of the back

Test object for weight and shifting contents

Get a firm grip, grasp opposite diagonal corners

Lift in a smooth steady motion, don’t jerk

Step or pivot, don’t twist

Use existing equipment or facilities to assist in the lift and lower.

I’ll add don’t lift anything 70 and above without an assist from a teamster. Supervisor helps you, file.

Maintain your egress

You should be able to make it to the exit, through the exit and away from the exit.

Nothing should be on your grate or stair way preventing this. Stop what you are doing and clear it.

This is big for audits and in general always have your egress clear and don’t stack packages blocking your exits.

Lock out and securing procedures

You do not need your supervisors permission to secure the belt to BMW

Break a jam, move a diverter and walk off the belt.

If you are ever asked to get on a moving belt for any reason, this needs to happen first. Only the person who secured the belt can unsecure it. You must make sure no one is on the belt before you unsecure it.

This can also be used to clear egress if the boxes are just piling up on you. Stop that belt to halt the packages and clear your egress. If they have a problem with it they can send you help to keep them from piling up.

Also learn how to handle and load hazmats.If a package is leaking or fuming and your not sure what it is treat it as hazardous.

Don’t touch, leave area, notify supervisor. They need to get hazmat to handle leakers and clean it up, that’s a safety hazard.

These are still stuck in my head from when I was being harassed as a part timer. I applied it in black and white. Barely got anything done and slowed down the entire building because I was on the main sort isle shutting off the flow of packages from unload to outbound.

Once they realize you do not care about their production numbers, how long the job takes, how much they hate you, their petty little games and will file on everything to document it they will go bother the next FNG they think they can squeeze pennies out of with harassment.

Last edited:
P

pickup

H there! I don't want to seem paranoid or like I'm overthinking things but ever since this FT Supervisor has started hanging around our area I feel like he's kind of had it out for me although I noticed he's pretty cold to everyone so maybe that's just how he is. I had a misload mishap happen twice awhile ago and ever since then he'll always put tricky SALTs along with my other supervisor's SALTs (ex: I've had like three put in at the same time, not spread out which seemed like overkill to me)

I took everyone's advice on that and go at a much slower pace. I haven't had any misloads besides that one tricky SALT he put in but even after that my own supervisor agreed it was too much and to watch out for him. I haven't had any issues so far in that department since I have my eyes peeled but I do feel really intimidated with him around. Today they ended up moving me around a lot and then made me go to this one trailor which I've helped with in the past but I noticed there was a new camera (on top of the light) aimed to look inside the truck.

I wanna say about an hour in, this guy I wasn't familiar with told me he was a Quality Inspector but originally he introduced himself with the title Security (?) which freaked me out (lol) and basically asked for my name, if I load this truck often (not really) after I explained how they usually move me around a lot he told me that he was here because that truck has been receiving a lot of poor quality checks or something and that I should watch out for damaged boxes that come in or I can be written up. He made it seem like he was just going around telling everyone so I didn't think much about it until I talked to a buddy who actually loads that truck regularly and he said no one has said anything to him about that which is why I'm a bit concerned.

I wish there was a dumbed down union contract I could read but I'm going to be trying my best to study up on that since I don't want any shenanigans ensuing. A supervisor confessed that one time a couple of them had set up for another supervisor to be fired since apparently he was really bad at his job so they purposely made him go fix a jam because they knew he would fix it in an unsafe fashion and so someone prepared to take a picture of him in the act. It worked and I guess he would have had to been a really bad supervisor to have so many people orchestrate that kind of plan together but geez that seems really cut throat to me.

I've heard of a bunch of love affairs and fightd that go on here too, I didn't realize UPS had so much drama! Anyway, sorry for going off topic! If anyone has any tips or insight on this kind of thing I'd really appreciate hearing it! Thank you for taking the time to read!

I broke up the above original post into paragraphs for easier reading.

RolloTony Brown Town

If there’s cameras then it’s ups security...

Damages that have resulted in lost claims and pilfered packages would cause this type of visibility... they’re putting a camera there to find out if someone is stealing, etc.

Ups security want nothing to do with you unless you’re the one pilfering or damaging packages.

Do your job correctly and you’re good with him. If he sees something concerning you could get pulled in. Ups security fires people. Camera is serious business. Be on high alert.

dudebro

I believe supervisor handling packages is 3, then harassment is 37. Depends on your supplement to.

You've got it twisted. A supervisor can handle packages. Sups can massage packages, turn them over and over in their hands, even rub the package up against their sensitive areas. Supervisors can't ADVANCE packages, it's a critical difference.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Work slower and make sure the job is done right, catch every salt and when you find the Salts move slower then before finding it. Eventually they will give up and see that it is affecting your production and move on to the next person in line. If they call you into the office or want you to sign something make sure you union steward is present.

Dr.Brownz

Document everything that is happening with a steward. This guy is trying to :censored2: with you. :censored2: him before he :censored2:s you

Last edited by a moderator:
[QUOTE="1-800-CRYING, post: 4072944,
...this guy I wasn't familiar with told me he was a Quality Inspector but originally he introduced himself with the title Security (?) which freaked me out (lol) and basically asked for my name, if I load this truck often (not really) after I explained how they usually move me around a lot he told me that he was here because that truck has been receiving a lot of poor quality checks or something and that I should watch out for damaged boxes that come in or I can be written up. He made it seem like he was just going around telling everyone so I didn't think much about it until I talked to a buddy who actually loads that truck regularly and he said no one has said anything to him about that which is why I'm a bit concerned.[/QUOTE]

If you're not stealing, then someone else is.

Yes there are cameras but "they're never really on".. except when people hurt themselves or others are found stealing. Then they magically work the whole time. If someone is being investigated for thefts then consider every car this person goes into as compromised. You have no expectation of privacy anywhere except a bathroom. Keep your nose clean.