CAN THEY DO THIS??

It does happen, but like i said he dont have to answer his phone or say i have prior plans. The big thing is not to get caught so they can ask, unless they are forcing him to call in everyday but thats a different thing
He should still be working preload unless he agrees to being a seasonal driver. Even then he should still be working even when there is not a route to run.

CD0314

So I should just call the local union office and ask? I've been doing the on call thing for awhile and never been paid top rate. I don't have to call in every day, but if they call me I have been told I have to show up or they will revoke my driving privileges.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
He should still be working preload unless he agrees to being a seasonal driver. Even then he should still be working even when there is not a route to run.
He said he is working preload but driving seasonal. Which means they are not using him to drive now. They want him on call so they can use him. However if he is working preload he should not be going driving after that for 8 to 10 hours

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
So I should just call the local union office and ask? I've been doing the on call thing for awhile and never been paid top rate. I don't have to call in every day, but if they call me I have been told I have to show up or they will revoke my driving privileges.
You should call the union office but im pretty sure you don't have to sit around waiting on them to call you

542thruNthru

What rate of pay are you paid when you drive?

I'm not in the Central but you sound like a part time cover driver to me. They work vacations/sick/disability.

542thruNthru

Art 40 sec 1 (h) exception air drivers.

Ok. I got that part. I'm wonder where it says they are "on call"

Screenshot_20190528-101030_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

542thruNthru

How else would you be contacted. Now days I suppose you could be text but means the same. Packages that are unscheduled for delivery. Feeder driver brings in a NDA and still needs to be delivered that day. Or an unscheduled air pick up.

You can be called yes but you're not "on call".

Here it's done by seniority during the preload hours. If anything pops up after they will call asking in seniority order if someone wants the extra work.