CAN THEY DO THIS??

542thruNthru

I guess I fail to see the difference.

Being On Call implies that you must answer the phone and you must report to work. Meaning you can be disciplined if you don't.

Being called because there is work available means you can decide not to answer if you choose.

He's being told he has to be read to work everyday because he is On Call and that's not right. Having a choice is the difference.

Log on to upsers.com, click on your name at the top and click My Profile. Then click on Personal Information on the top left, then click Payroll Information. Is your job classification underneath your name on the top left on the Payroll Information page?

Why don’t you just stay on preload and drive on Saturday airs. Keep the insurance and just drive peak season when yard service slows up. In my opinion that’s what sounds best!!

Rack em

Made the Podium
If you are classified as a utility driver then they can take away you out of driving if you decline the work 3 times in a month.

JustDeliverIt

The way this company is hard up for drivers, they are threatening you now but when peak comes around they'll be begging you to come back out. Tell management you have a commitment to a summer job and that driving during peak is fine. But consult with your local to find out exactly how you are classified and your rights as such.

Dr.Brownz

Ha I wish.

It's legit. If you are classified as an air driver you should be getting top driver rate for delivering ground.

if you are just preload you would still get the utility driver rate(in the western region) which is 25 an hour or so.

Talk to your Business agent

RxSatellite

He said he is working preload but driving seasonal. Which means they are not using him to drive now. They want him on call so they can use him. However if he is working preload he should not be going driving after that for 8 to 10 hours

10 hours since you last drove. Sort shifts don't count and had that confirmed by my local.

542thruNthru

10 hours since you last drove. Sort shifts don't count and had that confirmed by my local.

Your local is mistaken then. All hours worked count.

Its 10 hours off duty. Also read the example after the highlighted part.
sketch-1559104876442.jpg

Last edited:
So would that mean that I'm not able to say no to being on call for vacations? I don't want to put my insurance an all that for my family at risk by saying no, but how can anyone be on call 6 days a week. It doesn't make sense to me.
You are a part time pre load employee . yiu are obligated to do that job alone.

As for the seasonal driving. Its peak they will use you to drive.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The OP could also be forced to work Saturday air as long as the company follows seniority.

Yep.

Working as a Summer seasonal would be voluntary.

When the Nov-Jan seasonal period ended.... so did his obligation.

To be required to work the vacation replacement/summer seasonal position,

he would have needed to sign a new bid sheet for that period....

Depending on the supplement and what he signed previously.

Rack em

Made the Podium
LOL where does it say that in the contract?

Where does it say that in the contract?
I don't know how to post contract pages like @542thruNthru but our rider states "They must make themselves available on a daily basis unless mutually agreed by the company and the union. Failure to be available for utility work may be grounds for being removed from the utility driving list." Our center manager has always gone by the 3 day rule too. I cannot remember where, but I know I have read in the contract about being removed if declining work 3 times in a one month period.

542thruNthru

I don't know how to post contract pages like @542thruNthru but our rider states "They must make themselves available on a daily basis unless mutually agreed by the company and the union. Failure to be available for utility work may be grounds for being removed from the utility driving list." Our center manager has always gone by the 3 day rule too. I cannot remember where, but I know I have read in the contract about being removed if declining work 3 times in a one month period.

Here ya go. I just screen shot and post.
sketch-1559187568801.jpg

I saw that in your rider and assumed your local made a agreement. Kind of like attendance.