Can ups change?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
A lot has changed the last year and a half. A majority of people are deciding being miserable for a paycheck isn’t the life they want. We know what this place is like. Ups is going to have to adjust to continue to attract works. The MRA raises are a start but I doubt they’ll be enough long term. People now expect more out of their jobs than just a paycheck.

542thruNthru

A lot has changed the last year and a half. A majority of people are deciding being miserable for a paycheck isn’t the life they want. We know what this place is like. Ups is going to have to adjust to continue to attract works. The MRA raises are a start but I doubt they’ll be enough long term. People now expect more out of their jobs than just a paycheck.

Things have definitely changed. Though I think it would still be the same if Amazon wasn't pulling from the same work force as us.

Brownslave688

Things have definitely changed. Though I think it would still be the same if Amazon wasn't pulling from the same work force as us.
I’m sure there’s some but what other jobs have schedules like ours?

My wife works on an out list and doesn’t know when she’s getting off but rarely works over 35 hours a week. Many under 30.

My best friend is a lineman and gets a decent amount of OT but unless it’s a storm call it’s basically all scheduled 10 or 12 hour days.

Been heat index over 105 here all week. Construction crews are calling it quits at 1 pm. Other outside workers I know have just taken entire days off.

I just don’t see the younger generation putting up with all of this…..well they already arent. I see it getting worse.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
I haven't been at UPS very long but since Memorial day I've witnessed the hub rapidly deteriorate

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I haven't been at UPS very long but since Memorial day I've witnessed the hub rapidly deteriorate
That's more or less normal.
Every thing has cycles.
Just remember you get paid by the hour and fewer workers means longer hours for you.
( as long as you are young and needy )

Brownslave688

That's more or less normal.
Every thing has cycles.
Just remember you get paid by the hour and fewer workers means longer hours for you.
( as long as you are young and needy )
People don’t want more hours. No matter what the pay is. That’s the point. The mindset of the worker is changing

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
People don’t want more hours. No matter what the pay is. That’s the point. The mindset of the worker is changing
It's not just the younger workers, every contract when they asked what we wanted most I always said "more time off", plenty of guys I worked with felt the same way. And yeah the company can change but it might not be the change you envision, last contract everyone told the union they wanted less OT and we got 22.4's.

Brownslave688

It's not just the younger workers, every contract when they asked what we wanted most I always said "more time off", plenty of guys I worked with felt the same way. And yeah the company can change but it might not be the change you envision, last contract everyone told the union they wanted less OT and we got 22.4's.
No no that was just because we didn’t want to work 6 days a week 🙄

I think increasingly the difference is people aren’t just talking the talk. They’re quitting and walking away.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
But you can have beards--isn't that all you have been hoping for for a long time?
Me and my viking beard will probably be starting our weekend around 2:30 tomorrow. I guess I can have my cake and eat it too.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No no that was just because we didn’t want to work 6 days a week 🙄

I think increasingly the difference is people aren’t just talking the talk. They’re quitting and walking away.
I know that's a real problem the non-union service industry is facing right now, are you saying people at your building are quitting?

Brownslave688

I know that's a real problem the non-union service industry is facing right now, are you saying people at your building are quitting?
Well of course they can’t keep part timers more than a few days but then the ones they do keep none of them want to drive.

So right now it’s not quite to the point of full timers quitting here. Although I know it’s happening in other centers.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
But you can have beards--isn't that all you have been hoping for for a long time?
1630018912627.png