Can UPS truck back into my driveway?

JoanC

I need your help please. I hope this is the right section for this type post.

One day as I was getting into my Tahoe, I saw the ups truck parked Up the street in front of the house catty-corner to mine. He was parked to the right out of my driveway and slightly up hill with front facing downhill.

I looked in both side mirrors and review then began backing out my driveway using my drivers side mirror to watch the edge of the driveway. I had clear site to the street.

There was a collision between the rear of my vehicle and the rear of the UPS truck about 20-25 feet from the end of my driveway.

I pulled forward a couple of feet, got out and yelled for the driver. He came out the side door - not drivers side- with a package. I said I just backed into you! He said I know, what do you want me to do about it? I said I want you to fix my truck. He said he needed to call his boss.
I said I’m not expecting a package. He said it’s for the house across the street.
I asked why didnt he park in their driveway? He said he couldn’t fit in it. (Other UPS drivers have and that driveway was empty)
My driveway is wider but not two lane wide.
He was backed in at a slight angle, front tires slightly turned down hill with drivers side of truck on the edge of concrete.
My Tahoe was along the opposite side and the UPS truck could not be seen in my drivers side mirror.
I took pictures of everything including the package addressed to neighbor across the street.
He called his supervisor who was very rude and a smart Alec when I spoke with him.
I told him what happened. He, :censored2: the supervisor said his drivers don’t park on the street so that didn’t happen. He said his drivers are required to park off the street even in driveways and it sounds like it was my fault. I told him I didn’t want the driver to get in trouble but even if I couldn’t prove the driver was backing in the same time I was backing out, the driver wasn’t even delivering to my house. He said oh he’s going to be in trouble.
He then said, so what you want is for us to not park in your driveway anymore? I said no! I want you to repair my bumper. He laughed and said he’s send so one out to take pictures later that day. His driver needed to get back in the road.
A young man, :censored2:, came out and ask me what happened. I told him and he took pictures of the driveways and the area. He said hardly anything.
:censored2: the supervisor called me “to inform me” if UPS finds any damage to our truck we will be filing a claim against you.
I was furious and told him go ahead. I thought no way was this going to be my fault.
Rather than go through a fight I finally chose to pay my own out of pocket but couldn’t right away because it was going to be about $1400. Next thing I know UPS has filed against my insurance for $300.
I talked with adjuster, gave my statement and they sent appraiser Which was within $100 of estimate I had.
My insurance deemed me at fault. The driver said he was already parked in my driveway and in the back getting the package for across the street. My female adjuster screamed at me and asked what if the driver had been behind his truck and I had hit him. She was very sympathetic to the UPS driver possibly being reprimanded.

Because of this $300 claim that I disagree with, my insurance premium has gone up $53 a month.
I can’t prove the driver was backing- the appraiser from the ins company said from the angle of the damage he had to be backing while I was but I can’t prove that and the driver says he was parked.
Does UPS instruct drivers to park where they want?
We’ve seen this driver park on the street throughout the neighborhood several times since.
Am I just out of luck here?
Thank you if You read this far.
:censored2:

Last edited by a moderator:

reginald95

It sucks that the driver parked like an ass but YOU backed into a non moving target. Unfortunately that’s on you. If the shoe was on the other foot and a UPS hit an object or car that was parked in a bad spot, that driver would be on the hook.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Here is what is going to happen:
The driver will get chewed out and charged with an avoidable accident. No matter what they did or did not do. No matter what you do or do not say. Regardless of what you or them ever did. Even if a ghost did it.

No they don't park in driveways. Because then you would call ups and tell them the ups driver LEFT MARKS ON YOUR DRIVEWAY.

Instead you drove right into them. As we are trained to expect. But at the end of the day we can't leap into your car and yank the steering wheel away before you drive into us lol

From what I can read. They parked this way because it would help the vehicle stop on a curb in the (rare) event the truck rolls away. If that's the case. I would gladly trade the safety of myself and the general public for a smaller
collision.

Here's a closing thought. And I hope the company understands that this was something they earned in the past and has to maintain: UPS stands for unlimited parking spaces, only because we can (normally) be trusted to park and go in a safe, logical way.

Last edited:

JoanC

Let this be a lesson for you Karen get out and look if you need to before you back

Do you have a question or did you just come here to bitch?
I’m not bitching and my name is Joan. I came here to ask if the driver did anything wrong because I thought UPS drivers would know.
I was not and am not being argumentative.
It’s unfortunate that you feel the need to call me names when I only relayed my situation and asked for your experience and knowledge.

JoanC

It sucks that the driver parked like an ass but YOU backed into a non moving target. Unfortunately that’s on you. If the shoe was on the other foot and a UPS hit an object or car that was parked in a bad spot, that driver would be on the hook.
Thank you. I appreciate you answering.

JoanC

You backed into a parked car?

Is there a police report?

Was the UPS truck parked legally?
1. The driver says he was already stopped. I don’t think it’s feasible for him to have been parked across and up the street then drive down past my house then backed into my driveway and stopped in the length of time I was backing not even to the end of my driveway.
He said he was stopped. I don’t think he was.
2. I didn’t call the police. I thought if on private property they didn’t come. When I went to the police dept after the fact they gave me an accident statement to fill out and give to my ins. The officer said to always call an officer to the scene.
3. If he was indeed already parked/ stopped in my driveway that would be legally. But why my driveway when the one across the street where he was delivering the package was wider and empty

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
1. The driver says he was already stopped. I don’t think it’s feasible for him to have been parked across and up the street then drive down past my house then backed into my driveway and stopped in the length of time I was backing not even to the end of my driveway.
He said he was stopped. I don’t think he was.
2. I didn’t call the police. I thought if on private property they didn’t come. When I went to the police dept after the fact they gave me an accident statement to fill out and give to my ins. The officer said to always call an officer to the scene.
3. If he was indeed already parked/ stopped in my driveway that would be legally. But why my driveway when the one across the street where he was delivering the package was wider and empty
It is against UPS policy to drive onto other peoples’ driveways. It is however, legal. He will be charged with an avoidable accident with the company but in the eyes of the law, you backed into a parked vehicle. It sounds like you already got your answer through your insurance and UPS. You were at fault, but he’s going to get his licks too.

JoanC

It is against UPS policy to drive onto other peoples’ driveways. It is however, legal. He will be charged with an avoidable accident with the company but in the eyes of the law, you backed into a parked vehicle. It sounds like you already got your answer through your insurance and UPS. You were at fault, but he’s going to get his licks too.
Thank you for giving me a sensible answer.

JoanC

Thank you. However, I feel he and I were both moving. Some of you have been very nice and I appreciate it.

Est.1998

In Joans defense, if the house I’m delivering to has an empty level driveway, that’s the one I’m parking in “if” i needed a safe place to park.
I’m not gonna park in the driveway across the street that isn’t getting a pkg.
My hub looks down on parking in resi driveways.
With that being said, Joan should still be aware of objects in her path while backing. Could’ve been a kid.