Can you help us bring our Lady Rose home?

Mustang Sally

Loyal UPS wife
It's sad to see that sometimes people can not see the bigger picture. All customers packages should be treated with the same respect and attitude, regardless of whether they ship one item, or 2000. Individuals all over the world pay good money to ship their items, and they trust that you guys will take care of their stuff. Of course people have different ideas of how to package something properly, and I know UPSers deal with this problem every day. But that doesn't mean that their box is any less important than a box of vitamins, or anything else. Granted, I am not an employee, I am the spouse of one. I do have the ability to see both sides, as UPS family, and as a customer. I would hope that if I had to ship some priceless family heirloom that brown wouldn't drop kick my box (so to speak) and say, awe who cares, it's just one box. Would any of you like YOUR things to be treated that way, just because you don't fill 2 or more trailers a night?

I'm not saying that you guys need to be handling thousands of boxes like eggs, I just think the attitude of some people isn't good, and it relates back to the other post about the FISH! book. When you are on a public forum bad mouthing customers it makes ALL of you look bad.

Have a great weekend folks.

W

What?

I'm not saying this is good bad, ideal or undesireable, I'm giving you a fact: walk-up customers don't hold a birthday candle to our largest accounts. With an avg 2000 pieces coming to us from a Vitamin company per night in our region alone (distributed to a population base of around 7 million), UPS' money comes from these people, not ma and pa shipping their son's clothing to college.

at the end of the day, what comes to us out of one trailer is worth a lot more than what comes out of all of our centre/hub's pacakge cars.

Look no further than people like this when trying to figure out where DHL and FedEx ground are getting their ground volume. To say that some packages are more important than others is exactly the attitude that has led to the rise of DHL and the growth of FedEx ground. Those shipping high volume from large companies have a contract and ship UPS regardless. Those in the "ma and pa" catagory as you call it, have choices and voices. Treat them like they're not important and guarantee they go to the competition and tell everyone of how UPS doesn't care anymore! Keep up the good work, Fred S and the German Government thank you!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
After reading the original post again, It mentions in the box description: "It was a "Staples" box. Now if you have a label thats easy to fall off I'm sure someone must have thought this was part of a Staples shipment.

If you have a Staples store on your route, ask them if they received a box with a rug in it! Maybe just the barcode without the addr was left on the box in which the driver may mis-took as his Staples bulk.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I never said one box was more important than the other. I said money talks; a client who paid $20/year does not get listened to as much as someone who pays $200 000/year. For the second time, I'm not saying this is right or wrong, I'm saying this is the reality.

Look no further than people like this when trying to figure out where DHL and FedEx ground are getting their ground volume. To say that some packages are more important than others is exactly the attitude that has led to the rise of DHL and the growth of FedEx ground. Those shipping high volume from large companies have a contract and ship UPS regardless. Those in the "ma and pa" catagory as you call it, have choices and voices. Treat them like they're not important and guarantee they go to the competition and tell everyone of how UPS doesn't care anymore! Keep up the good work, Fred S and the German Government thank you!
Oh, and FX Ground and DHL don't think about the same way regarding volume accounts? Right. Get some business sense. We win clients, and we lose clients. It's the way this industry works.

W

What?

I never said one box was more important than the other. I said money talks; a client who paid $20/year does not get listened to as much as someone who pays $200 000/year. For the second time, I'm not saying this is right or wrong, I'm saying this is the reality.

Oh, and FX Ground and DHL don't think about the same way regarding volume accounts? Right. Get some business sense. We win clients, and we lose clients. It's the way this industry works.

Keep telling yourself whatever you need to....

As for my business sense, read my post again and pay attention this time to my point. I say it's important to retain customers and win more by focusing on our customers. You basically say, you win some and you lose some and it's no big deal because fedex and dhl do it too. What business sense is that? Did you graduate from the school of mediocrity? We haven't gone almost 100 years relying on status quo!

Ground_Hub_Angel

~*PAS Preload*~
This is stupid, do you seriously expect UPSers on this forum to take an Amber Alert over a freakin' package this seriously? Do you expect package handlers to be on a lookout for a rug the same way customs and immigration officers are on the lookout for abducted children?

Either this was stolen (for whatever stupid reason) or more likely, it was likely packaged improperly, crushed beyond oblivion, and having the waybill get ripped off (huh? if you glue a piece of paper to a box, it may fall off?) doesn't help. It's likely sitting under a grate or in ECS waiting to be identified.

I handle tons of these boxes of 'invaluable' items packed half-assedly every night. Give me a break.

Oh yea, it was stolen a huge rug. They wand us everytime we got out of our ground hub and they search us. That makes a hell of alot of sense. You are a real @$$. Let me tell you this much you must really be a annoyance to have on ur shift because u are so negative and annoying. I would hate to work with you. I could understand where u were coming from if this was something she ordered from ebay but this is her families history and she is distraught. Can't you ever do anything but criticize and just understand where someone is coming from. If it was your attitude that was lost im sure you would be just as distraught as she is considering this is your normal temperament and it is so critical to the aggravating and negative outlook that u have constantly. Try being something other then negative it doesnt become you and its annoying as ive said.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
and Joopster, you know what's a joke?....your sad bid to solicit $$$ from your fellow UPSers....

AHAHAHAHHA...

I'll have you know that you can put me on ignore at any time. Also, cheryl gave some money towards the cancer research which I appreciate.

I don't remember what my original reply was to with DAMMOR, but I don't believe me and DAMMOR where even referring to the same thing. It appears as though the post has been edited or deleted. Kicking packages and throwing stuff is a daily occurence at UPS. I thought it was funny. I wasn't laughing at the rug that is lost....anyways....some of you do need to let your funny bone be tickled every now and again.

B

brownISer

Hoser---I'm curious about something relating to your thoughts on this topic...what if the person that shipped this rug has a cousin who is the owner of your big shipper vitamin store???...

---once again, to all those who understand the point I was trying to make with regard to helping this person find her rug, thanks for reassuring me that not all posters on this site are :censored2:$

badpal

Oh yea, it was stolen a huge rug. They wand us everytime we got out of our ground hub and they search us. That makes a hell of alot of sense. You are a real @$$. Let me tell you this much you must really be a annoyance to have on ur shift because u are so negative and annoying. I would hate to work with you. I could understand where u were coming from if this was something she ordered from ebay but this is her families history and she is distraught. Can't you ever do anything but criticize and just understand where someone is coming from. If it was your attitude that was lost im sure you would be just as distraught as she is considering this is your normal temperament and it is so critical to the aggravating and negative outlook that u have constantly. Try being something other then negative it doesnt become you and its annoying as ive said.
Give em hell angel :)

hoser

Industrial Slob
Keep telling yourself whatever you need to....

As for my business sense, read my post again and pay attention this time to my point. I say it's important to retain customers and win more by focusing on our customers. You basically say, you win some and you lose some and it's no big deal because fedex and dhl do it too. What business sense is that? Did you graduate from the school of mediocrity? We haven't gone almost 100 years relying on status quo!
You're right, we should put the customer first, but there's the ideology and there's the reality. Ideology says put EVERY customer first, reality says you can't win the hearts of everyone.

Once again, I'm not saying the 'win some lose some' is right or wrong, this is the reality, and if you think every shipping company will unequivocally do whatever it takes to keep a client, you're wrong, businesses have limits as to how far they'll go to keep clients. Being the master in business sense that you are, you'd realise that companies like UPS practise the rudimentary economic theory of cost-benefit analyses (remember the game theory course you took in business school? :wink::wink::wink:), not running at every customer like they're #1. They'd be willing to do a lot more to keep the big vitamin company (like wine and dine them, offer 80% off walk-up rate, etc) than for ma+pa and the rug. The shipping business is very dynamic and clients are won and lost all the time. Before FX and UPS, I worked for an local city courier, and we'd win and lose clients all the time, while retaining a strong base of loyal clients who have used us since day 1. Every time we'd lose a huge client to courier-company B, a large client of courier-company B would come our way. Sure, we ideally want both clients, but the reality is that we dropped the ball a few times too many, and courier-company B offered that client something better or courier-company B offered our client something too good to be true, and we choose not to keep their business, the value of not lowering our rates and expanding our services outweighted the cost of narrower margins keeping the client happy, on top of the fact that we had a few large accounts that were coming our way.

And UPS has gone 100 years relying on status quo. Regimentation, efficency, and restraint, particularly with overhead costs, marketing, and technology. That's why we're here where we are.

Hoser---I'm curious about something relating to your thoughts on this topic...what if the person that shipped this rug has a cousin who is the owner of your big shipper vitamin store???...

---once again, to all those who understand the point I was trying to make with regard to helping this person find her rug, thanks for reassuring me that not all posters on this site are :censored2:$
Finally, a good point is made, but sadly you ruin it by namecalling. What if it was the cousin of the big shipping vitamin store?

I'll tell you one thing: if UPS knew that the client was a close relative of the single person who makes shipping decisions for a 2000/piece/night company, UPS would react to it a lot differently. Of course, UPS wants the business either way, but there are certain levels the company is willing to go. Ideally, UPS wants the goods to be returned (who doesn't), but if it goes missing, what do you think UPS should do? Of course, they should do whatever possible, but if they simply can't account for it (let's say the theory that it was accidently pieced into a bulk delivery), how far should UPS go? The reason why I ridiculed the thread is because I had the confidence that UPS would make this messup right and that they would keep a client, and really, it's out of the hands of 99% of the members of the forum (the abrasive preloader from SC, the midnight hub sorter in Flint, the driver in Phoenix)

And Brown, as much as you are well intentioned, talking to us in a condenscending (and frequelty derogatory) manner when we disagree over the concept of this thread shows a much different and starker image of the corporate culture than a package handler from Canada like myself chirping thoughts from the 'school of mediocrity.'

You really missed the sarcasm in my post, and I really think you need to tone down the angst towards members, especially with the lack of experience you have both with the company and this forum.

You wreak of the rookie prima donnas who critique everyone else on the shift without even knowing their names, and end up quitting within 30 days because they're so hated or they're too exauhsted from being a :censored2:.

Give em hell angel :)
Please don't encourage stupid people.

What?

You're right, we should put the customer first, but there's the ideology and there's the reality. Ideology says put EVERY customer first, reality says you can't win the hearts of everyone.

Once again, I'm not saying the 'win some lose some' is right or wrong, this is the reality, and if you think every shipping company will unequivocally do whatever it takes to keep a client, you're wrong, businesses have limits as to how far they'll go to keep clients. Being the master in business sense that you are, you'd realise that companies like UPS practise the rudimentary economic theory of cost-benefit analyses (remember the game theory course you took in business school? :wink::wink::wink:), not running at every customer like they're #1. They'd be willing to do a lot more to keep the big vitamin company (like wine and dine them, offer 80% off walk-up rate, etc) than for ma+pa and the rug. The shipping business is very dynamic and clients are won and lost all the time. Before FX and UPS, I worked for an local city courier, and we'd win and lose clients all the time, while retaining a strong base of loyal clients who have used us since day 1. Every time we'd lose a huge client to courier-company B, a large client of courier-company B would come our way. Sure, we ideally want both clients, but the reality is that we dropped the ball a few times too many, and courier-company B offered that client something better or courier-company B offered our client something too good to be true, and we choose not to keep their business, the value of not lowering our rates and expanding our services outweighted the cost of narrower margins keeping the client happy, on top of the fact that we had a few large accounts that were coming our way.

And UPS has gone 100 years relying on status quo. Regimentation, efficency, and restraint, particularly with overhead costs, marketing, and technology. That's why we're here where we are."

Regardless of what you or I consider reality, this person started this thread because her reality was that she exhausted her options and found another option for help (this forum). I never said her request should be priority #1 to UPS.... She was simply reaching out as a last resort only to get some responses telling her that her loss is of no importance to UPS! My point was that to dismiss her request and say that large customers are more important is a bad outlook, especially when you put it in writing for the whole world to see. Sure we get more revenue from those large accounts but the more and more small accounts we lose, we're going to feel it and see it as our competitors offer lower prices and take our unhappy and unwanted "ma and pa" customers. Keep in mind that ebay can be viewed as that type of customer where individual people ship a few items here and there. You don't think word travels fast in those feedback sections? You can question my business sense all you want but it won't make your outlook right in the eyes of our customers. It takes no effort on your part to offer some words of encouragement or better yet, say nothing at all but you chose to go out of your way to try and crush what hope she has left. Way to help that UPS image, maybe you can lift some spirits over at packagesmasher.com!

As for UPS making it 100 years by doing status quo.... Can I point you to SCS, UPS Capital, UPS Freight, UPS Airlines, The UPS Store, etc.... Kinda looks like UPS has expanded and gone after new and emerging markets and customers instead of burying our heads in boxes and settling for ground shipping huh? Without referring back to my high school business books, I'd say that's hardly status quo but what do I know, you're the business expert.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Regardless of what you or I consider reality, this person started this thread because her reality was that she exhausted her options and found another option for help (this forum). I never said her request should be priority #1 to UPS.... She was simply reaching out as a last resort only to get some responses telling her that her loss is of no importance to UPS! My point was that to dismiss her request and say that large customers are more important is a bad outlook, especially when you put it in writing for the whole world to see. Sure we get more revenue from those large accounts but the more and more small accounts we lose, we're going to feel it and see it as our competitors offer lower prices and take our unhappy and unwanted "ma and pa" customers. Keep in mind that ebay can be viewed as that type of customer where individual people ship a few items here and there. You don't think word travels fast in those feedback sections? You can question my business sense all you want but it won't make your outlook right in the eyes of our customers. It takes no effort on your part to offer some words of encouragement or better yet, say nothing at all but you chose to go out of your way to try and crush what hope she has left. Way to help that UPS image, maybe you can lift some spirits over at packagesmasher.com!

As for UPS making it 100 years by doing status quo.... Can I point you to SCS, UPS Capital, UPS Freight, UPS Airlines, The UPS Store, etc.... Kinda looks like UPS has expanded and gone after new and emerging markets and customers instead of burying our heads in boxes and settling for ground shipping huh? Without referring back to my high school business books, I'd say that's hardly status quo but what do I know, you're the business expert.
You're right. This is a fair assessment that I can accept. With respect to the evolution of UPS, you're correct, but remember the core of the corporate culture has not changed.

B

brownISer

so Hoser...you were once one of those bicycle courier guys I see riding around the city...??? That explains it! And don't forget, when replying to my message, a little humor goes a long way.

and diadlover, thanks for your valuable comments!

hoser

Industrial Slob
so Hoser...you were once one of those bicycle courier guys I see riding around the city...??? That explains it!
So smug.

I'd like to see you ride in a foot of snow when it's -25c on a track bike (read: one gear, no breaks, slicks) with a file box under one arm and 50lbs of pacakges in your backpack. I'd also love to see you try to do that job for five days knowing that your safety largely rests in the hands of operators of motor vehicles that come from behind and beside you, best of all, working on piecework with no union to hide behind.

B

brownISer

Diadlover and Hoser: I give up, you win....you guys are just too bright for me to debate...good luck in your careers at UPS....your attitudes will take you a long way....:crying: