Can you retire under this contract? Y/N

Not a genius, I just know the stock market is controlled by the rich and powerful. The average Joe was never intended to be able to have influence over the outcomes. We've seen pensions dry up or be eliminated in other industries and I wasn't willing to risk my financial future on that unknown. If the pension blows up tomorrow, we'll be just fine. Hope you can say the same. I have less than 2 years to retirement and only have 40-50% exposure to the stock market.
Last year I also load my exposure to equities

Even though I got beat up on here pretty good about it

Johney

Not a genius, I just know the stock market is controlled by the rich and powerful. The average Joe was never intended to be able to have influence over the outcomes. We've seen pensions dry up or be eliminated in other industries and I wasn't willing to risk my financial future on that unknown. If the pension blows up tomorrow, we'll be just fine. Hope you can say the same. I have less than 2 years to retirement and only have 40-50% exposure to the stock market.
I can my pension is covered by UPS under this contract which I retired under and CS has a bailout which is also good. I’ll be ok on my pension alone.

ManInBrown

I’m amazed at the amount of drivers who just in the course of small talk, or I’ve overheard conversations saying they put zero in the 401k. 401k? What do I need that for? We get a pension. I probably go overboard with my contributions, Roth about $300 per week. Do I wish I had that extra $300 every week, of course but I know retirement will be a lot better.

StackedOut’n’Vibing

cardboard peasant
Your 401K is your responsibility. Can't understand how people blindly put their hard earned money at such risk.
Personal finance isn’t taught in public schools and it’s one of those topics most people think they’re not smart enough to tackle. You don’t have to be a finance bro to learn the basics, especially nowadays with YouTube, khan academy, etc. Trusting in anyone except yourself for financial stability is gambling, not investing in the market lol

Johney

I’m amazed at the amount of drivers who just in the course of small talk, or I’ve overheard conversations saying they put zero in the 401k. 401k? What do I need that for? We get a pension. I probably go overboard with my contributions, Roth about $300 per week. Do I wish I had that extra $300 every week, of course but I know retirement will be a lot better.
I worked with a guy in package who had the same seniority date as myself never put a dime into his 401K to this day.

542thruNthru

I'll retire under any contract.
giphy-61.gif

floridays

You think? Please explain.
I'll give you enough rope to hang yourself.