Canada Collective agreement 2010

klein

Für Meno :)
Sad thing is, it's actually true some Americans don't know where Canada is.
Esspecially those in the south.
Try it Moreluck, and ask that question around your neighborhood, or at a diner.
I have done it, couldn't believe it !
The simple question was :" If you cross the USA border to the north, in which country would you be in ?" That same question was on the 5'th grader show. (Didn't get it right on the show either).

Honestly, some think we are like another Greenland, somewhere north in the ocean !
Sad, but true.

tieguy

Banned
I agree the bonus is a bribe.Last contract we went on strike for a day,they were not impressed.Got a 6 yr contract that worked good for us because the 3 yr one we voted down would've ended just when the recession started,Gave free shipping to everyone in Canada for a day DOH! lost more doing that than they expected .
One thing you guys keep reflecting on is the 4 -10 hr days.From what I heard it is not mandatory,you have to sign up for it.

Its a bribe and grease on the wheel. you may not have to work as hard selling a contract with a signing bonus thrown in. The contract still has to be palatable for the signing bonus to work.

code5

I'm getting kind of sceptical about UPS. I'm at the point where I'm kind of head shy about anything that happens unfortunately. With every rewards system taken away and even sups trained to even not give intrinsic rewards, I guess I'm kind of pesimistic.

Anyways, about the contract. The 500 signing bonus is taxable. Only half will go in your pocket. The four 10 hour shifts won't be something like Mon to Thurs. with a long weekend. All the staff will have staggered days off and the 10 hours will be a min. shift with no O.T. You will end up working till 9P.M. everyday and I'm sure it will open up a new can of worms with weekend shifts. Its the residential deliveries that have exploded over the last few years (Amazon, Meleleuca) so I can see at a company standpoint to have us work when more people may be home. In a very, very small center where I work, the extra days off will be murder on dispatch. I'd rather work five 8 hour shifts with weekends off.

Like I said, I feel very snake bitten - but, i'd be happy to eat crow.

BTW - is there anything on the manditory 50 min unpaid lunch and 10 min paid break. I heard there was bargaining to shorten the manditory unpaid to 30 min.

M

Mike23

Siiiiiiiick daaaaaays? What are those? Option days are not sick days unless you submit it in writing 2 weeks in advance here. Also the east got what they wanted but the west got the hose on it. We still have people pulling 12 hour days not wanting them. We can't file because the contract is vague and only says 'unfair overtime' and nobody can strictly define it. The east didn't have the guts to fight for a definite number on it (west wanted 9-9.5 for unfair) because the people wanting to work 10 would have their route cut a little. So, of cutting some poor mans route by 30min the west is still stuck with more over time then they want. BTW, see if any of those 10 hour guys would like to switch routes straight up. I'll gladly transfer for that 10 and give up the 12's.

Don't forget we also have a new floater day we can use any time of year. The one that was mandatory in December can be used whenever now.

Also, if we don't need to pay for our health care, why are we making so much less then people in the USA? I realize we make less up here but it does seem a bit silly that if the company doesn't need to make a full insurance plan for us then shouldn't we be making almost the same?

I also doubt the 4x10 will come into play (at least not out west) for a long time. UPS is still too disorganized out here and have to first fix all our routes... No, I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

DS

Fenderbender
Siiiiiiiick daaaaaays? What are those? Option days are not sick days unless you submit it in writing 2 weeks in advance here. Mike,they have revised the language so it's now 5 calendar days,but if you are sick,call in an hour before your start time and go back to bed. Also the east got what they wanted but the west got the hose on it. We still have people pulling 12 hour days not wanting them. We can't file because the contract is vague and only says 'unfair overtime' and nobody can strictly define it. The east didn't have the guts to fight for a definite number on it (west wanted 9-9.5 for unfair) because the people wanting to work 10 would have their route cut a little. So, of cutting some poor mans route by 30min the west is still stuck with more over time then they want. BTW, see if any of those 10 hour guys would like to switch routes straight up. I'll gladly transfer for that 10 and give up the 12's.It's not that we didn't have the guts,we simply do not have such an issue with it.In fact we get reprimanded if we work over 10.5 hours.I think it's just a case of majority rules.

Don't forget we also have a new floater day we can use any time of year. The one that was mandatory in December can be used whenever now.

Also, if we don't need to pay for our health care, why are we making so much less then people in the USA? I realize we make less up here but it does seem a bit silly that if the company doesn't need to make a full insurance plan for us then shouldn't we be making almost the same?By the end of this contract we will be making $27.64 an hour,this is almost as much as most states

I also doubt the 4x10 will come into play (at least not out west) for a long time. UPS is still too disorganized out here and have to first fix all our routes... No, I'm not exaggerating when I say that.
The 4 10 hour days will not be mandatory,you will have to sign up for it and it will be done by seniority.I have heard how bad it is out there and suggest you grieve anything over 9.5 ,but be careful because you may end up with 40 hours with no OT at all.I personally like between 9-10 hrs every day.

Last edited:

code5

Just came back from my Union Meeting where I saw contract for 1st time. The 4 - 10 hour shifts have not been bargained yet. The wording is there so it can be implimented during the course of the contract. Don't hold your breath. We were told majority would rule based on the work center. Its everyone at 4 day work week or nobody. Also, there is new wording where if you want a lighter dispatch for personal reasons, resulting in a shorter shift it must be scheduled in advance much like the paid opts. (Max, 4 requests per month) Yes, it can be denied.

Union dues will now be taken off weekly, not per month.

Holiday schedule will remain posted until Feb. 1 as apposed to the 15 from last contract.

The way around the excess overtime will be your start time. They will simply pull air off your truck and start you later, at least that is whats happening around here.

Honestly, I see nothing of great significance that helps me out in this new contract. I don't really care about pension because at the pace I got to work right now, I won't be able to retire at UPS anyways.

Last edited:

klein

I agree, screw the extra $20 a month pension.
Just ask for more money, and put $20 a month into RRSP's. Alteast, you''ll receive over 30% of that back at tax return time.

It's a joke.

M

Mike23

I once asked our union why I can't opt out of the pension and just get my money after every year. I don't like or trust UPS and how it handles it's money. I was told the money was very safe with UPS. Umm, anyone remember that company called GM?

code5

We should not get confused with these 4 - 10 hour days with other organizations that do it. For the most part, they usually do it with the longer hours coming in the morning, not at the end of the shift. Most UPSers start around 9 nawadays. I'm a 16 year employee that was part of a driver sort and load for 15 years. Starting at 7 would have made more scense because you will still be off by 6. A 10 hour shift starting at 9 has the day ending at 8. That is a crappy life, at least in my opinion.

Also, yes - its a 60 cent raise per year except for this year. We would not get a raise till February, that my freinds is where they took the money from for the signing bonus. I guess its kind of an upfront salary kind of thing, but its not money our way in good will.

And - allowing people a smaller pre-approved dispatched will only result in others with a larger dispatch. Who else will pick up the slack?

Having said all that, I think the contract will pass. There is too many people that remembers our last 1 day strike where we lost all our retro pay and got basically the same contract, but wilth an extra year tacked on.

UPS is in a great position here in Canada. DHL is almost done, Purolator is definately on the downswing and Fedex isn't really all that agressive in adding to their business at least not yet. I'm sure the suits up top are willing to go to a work stoppage to get what they want.

klein

I will add this :

In 1987 I started work with Teamsters at Alpha Milk, Calgar, local 403 or some close number to it.
And it 1987 they paid $78.00 plus some cents for monthly pension.

You are now just getting to that level of 25 years , ago ?

Great deal, eh ?

browned out

Vote that garbage down. You Canucks have the power. eh UPS just announced above wall street projections for 2nd quarter and full year guidance.

DS

Fenderbender
I know ups does not approve of us dispensing private information from upsers.com here in the browncafe.
but in this case I believe it would be an exception to the rule. On behalf of UPS and the IBOT .
......................... Todays PCM..........................
UPS is pleased to announce that the five-year collective agreement with the Canada Council of Teamsters has been ratified. This early ratification avoided creating any customer concerns and volume loss and increased customers’ confidence and trust in us. The early ratification benefits all employees at UPS and it allows us to continue to build on our momentum and do what we do best; serve our customers with the high level of service they have come to expect from us. We have an extraordinary team here at UPS Canada; a team that plays an integral role in the ongoing growth and success of the world’s largest package and logistics organization. Thank you again for your outstanding commitment and your extraordinary dedication.

DS

Fenderbender
83% acceptance.The part timers wanted the $500 signing bonus.We take the flak for voting yes
while folks out west are getting slammed with 12 hour days,Don't blame us,if everyone voted you
may have got some change.

klein

83% acceptance.The part timers wanted the $500 signing bonus.We take the flak for voting yes
while folks out west are getting slammed with 12 hour days,Don't blame us,if everyone voted you
may have got some change.

I feel sorry for you guys... but at 83%, I guess I don't need to.

M

Mike23

Actually, the wests vote doesn't count. The majority of the population lives in the east and therefore have more union and people numbers. It's why our union president wanted to have separate contracts for each province (which makes perfect sense). Really, I was home in Ottawa in May, I saw a two bedroom condo for $97 thousand... My cousin bought a smaller condo for $250 thousand. Only difference is the province we live in and the type of economy. It's a different country from province to province and it should show that in the contract, not what one or two provinces believes because they have all the numbers and so can ignore the rest of the country. When we were going through the contract at our union meeting our union business guy told us, voting for a strike isn't going to do anything because we won't do any better because the east just isn't wanting to fight for it.

I also find the $500 'signing bonus' amusing. Come on UPS, if it walks like a courier and talks like a courier it's obviously a bribe to vote for the contract.