Canada Collective agreement 2010

JonFrum

A signing bonus is almost like a bribe, and should be against the law in collective bargaining. (Individual contract bargaining, like for sports stars, is a different matter.)

Someone intending to quit soon can vote for the signing bonus, pocket the money, quit, and stick the rest of the members with a substandard contract for the rest of the five years.

Other voters can pocket the signing bonus, then stick five year's worth of New Hires with a Contract that doesn't include a bonus for them, and probably harms them with givebacks as well.

A singing bonus does not become a permanent part of the wage scale, nor is it included in overtime pay, and puts the members in a less favorable position when the Contract has to be renegotiated in five years.

It's aimed at weak-willed people who don't get the long term, big picture, and seek instant gratification.

klein

Für Meno :)
I agree with you Jon.
And $500 after tax, probably on the same weekly paycheck (higher tax bracket), becomes $250 if they are lucky.
Spend it wisely, has to last 5 years !

Makes me sick people are disperate, and need a couple of hundred dollars instantly that badly.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
A signing bonus is almost like a bribe, and should be against the law in collective bargaining. (Individual contract bargaining, like for sports stars, is a different matter.)

Someone intending to quit soon can vote for the signing bonus, pocket the money, quit, and stick the rest of the members with a substandard contract for the rest of the five years.

Other voters can pocket the signing bonus, then stick five year's worth of New Hires with a Contract that doesn't include a bonus for them, and probably harms them with givebacks as well.

A singing bonus does not become a permanent part of the wage scale, nor is it included in overtime pay, and puts the members in a less favorable position when the Contract has to be renegotiated in five years.

It's aimed at weak-willed people who don't get the long term, big picture, and seek instant gratification.

If you feel that it is a bribe, then don't accept it on a matter of principal.
Don't make it more than what it is:...an "Incentive" to vote favorably for the Company.

"Big Picture"??? You are nowhere near the Big Picture. The Signing Bonus is part of the Big Picture. Duh!!!

If you feel that it is a bribe, then don't accept it on a matter of principal.
Don't make it more than what it is:...an "Incentive" to vote favorably for the Company.

"Big Picture"??? You are nowhere near the Big Picture. The Signing Bonus is part of the Big Picture. Duh!!!

I agree with Jon also because what he said is the big picture. Also I don't think he is from Canada so taking the bonus is not an option.

DS

Fenderbender
Actually, the wests vote doesn't count. The majority of the population lives in the east and therefore have more union and people numbers. It's why our union president wanted to have separate contracts for each province (which makes perfect sense).
I agree 100%. A contract for each province would even make more sense for UPS.
5 years is not that long,maybe they should be devising their want list now for the next contract.
You speak like we sold you out and I'd like to talk about that.
In Calgary and Edmonton anyone can get a job that pays $15.00 an hour to start.
Why would you destroy your body as a ups driver when you could serve coffee
at Timmy's with basically the same benefits?
That's why you guys are being overworked.Its up to you to let your management team know that you are being overdispatched .It has been done here by drivers grieving excessive overtime.But beware,if you ever decide that that extra $200 a week is necessary,good luck going back.
I'm 55 years old and I thought the pension addition was fair in this economy.
The raise barely makes the acceptable rate,and the signing bonus is indeed a bribe for any part timers that decide to vote.
I rarely work over 9.5 hrs,and if I do,its under 10.5,
Things run pretty smooth here.Most folks don't have any idea you guys are dieing every day out there,never mind care.
The lure of being a ups driver there is not for the fly by night types looking for a quick buck,but rather the long term thinkers looking ahead.
I know this site is for upsers to rant,but please stop blaming us .

code5

Hey DS, I'm from Saskatchewan and will have the same manament overseeing us as Alberta. What is your start time? Ours is 9 and we are not allowed to go code 5. So then you are satisfied with a punch out time of between 7:30 and 8:30 p.m? I'm new to the whole pre-load thing. I used to start at 7, leave center about 8:30 and punch out about 5:30. It was great, now - like I said, start at 9, leave center about 9:30 cause pre-load can't do it and we are punching out between 7 and 8.

I get tired of hearing only about paid days, I want a proper punch out time - screw the overtime. They won't let us though. Have to work 8 hrs on road, but don't get on road when we start. Now the new contract states we have to be dispatched with 8.5 hours which I"m sure will relate to that being only on road. We have had employees do training in Calgary and they say there is a slew of package cars coming in at 5:30. Something isn't jiving.

Also, the supervisor that implimented our pre-loaded (who works in Toronto) stated that is was our choice to go code 5 if we so desired, as long as we have a proper dispatch. He said UPS doesn't endorse this, but they can't stop us. About a month later, our managment told him we were never allowed to go code 5 without permission which they very rarely give and its only in their benefit.

Can someone confirm if down east they are allowed to go code 5 if so desired? Also what is everyones punch out times in Canada? Thanks Canucks.

klein

In Edmonton my typical day went like this.
8:15 unofficial start time (half hr off the clock to resort my truck - because pre load sucked, too)
8:45 official start time, beginning with PCM.
9:00 am out the door.

return time 7pm (no later, that was cut-offtime to be back)
also no code 5.
so at 7pm , park truck, do the after inspection, fill out DVIR, do cash-out and turn in, then take 50 minutes lunch, and the 10min coffee break if you didn't have time for that either.
Punch-out sometime after 8pm - 8:30pm

DS

Fenderbender
Hey DS,
Can someone confirm if down east they are allowed to go code 5 if so desired? Also what is everyones punch out times in Canada? Thanks Canucks.
i t's up to your center manager.I personally will not go code 05 unless its peak.
You are just screwing everything up if you don't take lunch.
We start at 9 too. I punch out at around 7:30 every night,,,,its normal
but I take my whole hour break around 2:15
If I need help I just call

DS

Fenderbender
Punch-out sometime after 8pm - 8:30pm
Who trained you to take your lunch at the end of the day?
It takes the same amount of time to deliver everything with a break than it does to slink around the hub wishing you were home at 8pm
Thats the messed up thinking that got you fired.

klein

Who trained you to take your lunch at the end of the day?
It takes the same amount of time to deliver everything with a break than it does to slink around the hub wishing you were home at 8pm
Thats the messed up thinking that got you fired.

Who taught me ?
Ask for help you get none.
Come back with missed, in the office you go next morning !

Tell Boss over and over again, that your sick and tired taking lunch after work, and he just keeps giving you more off route air to deliver.
Maybe, they wanted me to quit ?

And, I wasn't the only one, after 7pm, the parking lot had many drivers taking their lunch after work.
They force that upon you !

oh yeah, another silly thing they demanded.
Come back with more then 5 send-agains - back in the office you are !