Car and Bike Talk

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I've got a question. I put a new alternator in my 82 gmc 1 ton with a 454. Now the volt meter bounces all over the place and the lights flicker. What gives? Battery is good and it didn't do this before I changed the alternator. I only changed the alternator because the bearing in the pulley went bad.
Have you checked your grounding?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Have you checked the grounding?
I never touched them. I really don't think it's a ground. I'll start it up it'll sit at 10 volts. No surging gauge or lights. I'll start driving everything is fine then whenever it decides too the volt gauge goes up to 16 and the needle will bounce between 13 and 16 rapidly and my lights will flicker with it

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I never touched them. I really don't think it's a ground. I'll start it up it'll sit at 10 volts. No surging gauge or lights. I'll start driving everything is fine then whenever it decides too the volt gauge goes up to 16 and the needle will bounce between 13 and 16 rapidly and my lights will flicker with it
Perhaps you should have it bench tested.

oldngray

nowhere special
directions.jpg

MAKAVELI

I have a feeling those safety cables played a part in this trick (even tho it states they didn't). At that angle and that speed that Range Rover would have been bouncing all over the place if it wasn't glued to the steps.
I thought that too but the lines are laying on the steps as the Range Rover drives over them. It doesn't appear that they are pulling or holding down the car.