Car and Bike Talk

rod

Retired 22 years
Saw on the internet that an oil change for a Bugatti Veyron cost $21,000. Apparently you have to give them your Veyron for a week and because there are so many carbon fiber panels they have to remove to get to the filters it takes that long and is that expensive. .

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Saw on the internet that an oil change for a Bugatti Veyron cost $21,000. Apparently you have to give them your Veyron for a week and because there are so many carbon fiber panels they have to remove to get to the filters it takes that long and is that expensive. .
Gee whiz. Guess I won't be buying one.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
By the way. If the time ever comes for a new set of riding gloves, I'll definitely be opting for another pair of Olympias. I've been riding with this pair for over ten years now in all kinds of weather with no sign of quitting any time soon. No seams coming undone, no fingers wearing through. I just condition them after they dry if they get wet. I'm pretty damn impressed.

20190630_123211.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
By the way. If the time ever comes for a new set of riding gloves, I'll definitely be opting for another pair of Olympias. I've been riding with this pair for over ten years now in all kinds of weather with no sign of quitting any time soon. No seams coming undone, no fingers wearing through. I just condition them after they dry if they get wet. I'm pretty damn impressed.

View attachment 253853
I have a pair made of Elk skin that have been very comfortable. OUTLAST. Only issue was needing to rest itch the Velcro back for the gauntlet closure. Wash in woolite and air dry, though I have yet to wash them. I should considering how hot it was on my last road trip.

Last edited:

sailfish

I have a pair made of Elk skin that have been very comfortable. OUTLAST. Only issue was needing to rest itch the Velcro back for the gauntlet closure. Wash in woolite and air dry, though I have yet to wash them. I should considering how hot it was on my last road trip.
Can't say I've ever washed a leather garment.

sailfish

Expensive cars continue to be expensive after they have been purchased.
Throughout high school and my early twenties I was dead set on a Porsche. I even gave myself a realistic timeline (within fifteen years of graduating). Inevitably I threw that plan out even with the money UPS was bringing in.

oldngray

nowhere special
Throughout high school and my early twenties I was dead set on a Porsche. I even gave myself a realistic timeline (within fifteen years of graduating). Inevitably I threw that plan out even with the money UPS was bringing in.
My brother in law got a 914 just so he could say he had a Porshe.

POS overpriced VW

sailfish

My brother in law got a 914 just so he could say he had a Porshe.

POS overpriced VW
I wanted one because I was a car NUT and I loved everything they embodied. The original Beatle was designed by Porsche's founder and the designer of the 911 Carrera but that's about the only DNA they share. No badge swapping like every other maker out there. Plus they consistently top reliability charts for a reason.

The only reason I changed my mind was because I realized how much I hated pouring money into a regular car let alone one like that and in time interest waned too much to justify it. Which works out anyway with the simplified, more minimalist lifestyle I've been adopting in recent years.

rod

Retired 22 years
Back in the early 90's a customer of mine went to Vegas for a family reunion. He was real religious and was dead set against gambling. He got talked into playing a progressive slot machine and won a Porsche supposedly worth $125,000. He did drive it back to Mn. and kept it for the summer.

rod

Retired 22 years
Some of the big NHRA boys must have stuck around for some extra practice runs or maybe they are running a licensing school today but I can still hear them running. I bet the close neighbors of the track who hate it are fuming :-). Why someone would move close to a racetrack and then complain about noise boggles my mind. The track has been running since 1968 so I imagine those home owners who didn't like it in the beginning have all moved on.