Car and Bike Talk

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
My first car was a '72 Vega, not quite as nice as Jungle Jim's vega1.jpgvega2.jpgvega3.jpg

350 smallblock with a Holly 650, intake, and headers. I had to put a bigger radiator, stronger front springs, and flip the heater core. The car was originally green, painted it red with a pro stock hood scope and spoilers on front and rear. The last pic shows the dual exhaust and narrowed 12-bolt Chevelle rear end. I was 17 when I built this thing, my older brother gave me the car after he overheated and warped the original four cylinder engine.
vega1.jpg
vega2.jpg
vega3.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
My first car was a '72 Vega, not quite as nice as Jungle Jim'sView attachment 9900View attachment 9901View attachment 9902

350 smallblock with a Holly 650, intake, and headers. I had to put a bigger radiator, stronger front springs, and flip the heater core. The car was originally green, painted it red with a pro stock hood scope and spoilers on front and rear. The last pic shows the dual exhaust and narrowed 12-bolt Chevelle rear end. I was 17 when I built this thing, my older brother gave me the car after he overheated and warped the original four cylinder engine.[/QUOTE

Any subframe reinforcements? I hear V8 Vegas could pop the windshield out without them.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
No on the sub-frame, that unibody needed one. The headers didn't like speed bumps either. It would pull the front tires up, it ran great in a straight line...........One time I broke a weld on one of the rearend mounts kicking it on a quarter mile we had marked off out in the country. Last time I saw the car, the guy I sold it to had trouble shutting the doors on it and it had bad header leaks.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
No on the sub-frame, that unibody needed one. The headers didn't like speed bumps either. It would pull the front tires up, it ran great in a straight line...........One time I broke a weld on one of the rearend mounts kicking it on a quarter mile we had marked off out in the country. Last time I saw the car, the guy I sold it to had trouble shutting the doors on it and it had bad header leaks.

Art Morrison Enterprises is a short distance away from my center. They could probably fix that warpage issue.

That is a good looking year for Vegas. I'd like to have one. A 4.3 v6 and a five speed would make an appropriate level of pep and some suspension mods would make for a fun car.

Morrison makes lot of neat chassis stuff that would simplify building a car.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
vette3.jpgvette7.jpgCorvette2.jpg
This is why I sold the Vega, I bought this 1969 Coupe with a L-46 350ci/350hp engine with a Muncie 4-speed, it was a factory hot rod. I had a Holly and headers on it too. I was almost 19 when I bought it from a cousin of mine with 86K original miles on it. I kept it 25 years, somebody waved too much cash in front of my face one day. At least I doubled my money on it. It was pearl white with 32 coats of paint on it, it had eight coats of clear on top of the gold hand painted pinstripes. I hated myself ever since for selling it, it was a fun car to drive. The first and last pics show me kicking it in a driveway, I couldn't find the pic of it covered up in smoke.....I got some better pics somewheres.
vette1.jpg
Corvette2.jpg
vette3.jpg
vette7.jpg

DSC00778.jpg

My Dad's 71 BB El Camino. This was the second car I ever redid. It was in pretty good shape but was original and showing its age. We took it all apart and stripped the body bare. It was originally Mulsanne blue but my Dad didn't like how every one we saw was blue so we picked out a Subaru silver pearl metallic as the new color.
DSC00778.jpg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Before I bought the '69 Corvette, I looked at a "64 Stingray ragtop. It had a fresh yellow paint job, but the engine looked bad when the seller popped the hood. He wanted $3000 for it, one of the stupidest mistakes I ever made car wise was passing on that deal.

Last night my brother that works for GM at their Bowling Green plant walked around the plant showing me the new 2014s using Facetime on his phone. The burgandy convertible looks very nice.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Apparently in the last pic she caught you so I guess that car wasn't all that fast. :funny:

My wife hated that car when we were dating, she wasn't impressed with it at all. We used to go out in her Maverick a lot. I love El Caminos, I drool over a few of them on my route.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
That is a good looking year for Vegas. I'd like to have one. A 4.3 v6 and a five speed would make an appropriate level of pep and some suspension mods would make for a fun car.

Morrison makes lot of neat chassis stuff that would simplify building a car.

I see lots of their stuff go by on the belt, or at least I used to. Frame arches seem a popular item. Don't get me started on the 4.3. It would probably be a good one or a Buick 3.8 and fit well. The old lightweight Falcons and Rancheros interest me quite a bit. My Dad had a rare 61 2door wagon he fitted with a Ford industrial diesel back in the 70s.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The strangest encounter I've ever had with a classic American car was in Austria in 1984. It was in some little town area outside Salzburg. It was a coffin-nose Cord sporting Texas plates. I was nearly run over minutes later in a crosswalk by a tour bus running a red light.

The Cord v-8 engines were built less than two miles from my house.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
View attachment 9908

My Dad's 71 BB El Camino. This was the second car I ever redid. It was in pretty good shape but was original and showing its age. We took it all apart and stripped the body bare. It was originally Mulsanne blue but my Dad didn't like how every one we saw was blue so we picked out a Subaru silver pearl metallic as the new color.

I always loved those. When I was a kid, my uncle would take me & my cousin out for a ride in his El Camino.

Seat belts???!!! What were those for when we were kids?

How long does it take you for one of your restorations?