Car and Bike Talk

I averaged 18 months on my camaro and the elky. That's working a feeder job, trying to be a dad to 2 kids at the time, keep a wife happy, and try that thing called sleep once in a while.

Rico

Thats a pretty good pace. I took my father and I almost a year to tear my Jeep apart and put it back together, and thats counting all the extra time my father put into it when he was banished to his shop from the house while the Red Sox were in the playoffs (2004) because my mother couldn't deal with him and his conviction that they were going to blow it. And my Jeepdoesn't have those pesky, time consuming interior details like upholstery, carpet and trim. Actually, when you come right down to it, it doesn't really have an interior.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The weirdest dragster I ever saw like this was powered by a SAAB V-4.:surprised:

Tell you what about that little V-4, I had a 1971 Sonnett with one in it. It was a Ford engine that wasn't designed for, but ended up being used as a "stationary" engine in welders and compressors and the such. It was perfectly happy being run at full throttle all day, and in that light-weight Sonnett, that translated into a lot of miles a day!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Tell you what about that little V-4, I had a 1971 Sonnett with one in it. It was a Ford engine that wasn't designed for, but ended up being used as a "stationary" engine in welders and compressors and the such. It was perfectly happy being run at full throttle all day, and in that light-weight Sonnett, that translated into a lot of miles a day!

A SAAB 96 makes an excellent rally car.

texan

I had a 1972 Ford Consul with the Ford Taunus 1.7 liter V4 engine.

It had a progessive 2 barrel on it.

It used the single barrel then opened the secondary when you got on it.

I drove that auto all over Germany.

I hate to admit this. I finally blew it up.

I split the crank in half on the autobahn acting a young fool. :sad-little:

S

serenity now

I had a 1972 Ford Consul with the Ford Taunus 1.7 liter V4 engine.

It had a progessive 2 barrel on it.

It used the single barrel then opened the secondary when you got on it.

I drove that auto all over Germany.

I hate to admit this. I finally blew it up.

I split the crank in half on the autobahn acting a young fool. :sad-little:

Don't be so hard on yourself; you weren't acting like a young fool.
You were a young fool! :wink2:

I was out winter joy riding at night with a friend in my dads Plymouth Valiant doing doughnuts and stuff. As we were running laps around a strip mall I spied what I thought was a large cardboard box out behind one of the stores. Showing off my car control prowess I power slide into the box only to have the car stand up on its front bumper after I struck the the box with the tail of the car. The box turned out to be a console tv that was awaiting pickup. I caved the right rear quarter panel in on the car. Told my dad we got backed into at the movies.

Everyone was young and dumb at one point.

texan

Don't be so hard on yourself; you weren't acting like a young fool.
You were a young fool! :wink2:

Young ego. I passed an Army Wrecker showing off how bad me and my auto was.

Kaboom!! Pistons came out the side and split the crank in half.

Ever seen a crank sheered in two?

I did it. :angry-very2:

After I got it back (towed) to the US Army Kaserne in Bad Krueznach, I took the oil pan off.

I took part of the sheered crank out, cleaned it and put it on my top shelf of my hutch
to remind me.

Or then again, being 24, it was maybe like a deer rack after the hunt.

Oh young male ego and childishness.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
The novelty of all that mechanical carnage disappeared for me quite a while ago. I've scooped up barrels full a schrapnel in my time.

Rico

I seem to remember reading or hearing somewhere that loss of an engine on take off at full power in a P38 would result in the plane rolling and crashing.