Career change? I think so...

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
Skilled Job-------UPS is a Highly Skilled job--that is why the drivers make the money they do.You have to be highly skilled just to drive----and than the responsibility of making the deliveries and pick ups by a dedicated time----ton of responsibility, thus the necesary skills needed.

UPS has a lot of people who started PT , got their college degree--and than stayed--became drivers----where else are you going to get the money--benefits--job security----it's not just about the money!!

UPS has a lot of educated--highly skilled people.........and yes, these are skills that you can take elsewhere if you decide to do so.If someone is not happy with their current job at UPS--they need to seriously look at going someplace else that will make them happy.Some people will never be happy no matter where they work-----and they always are the first to point fingers at their employer!!

satellitedriver

Just need a little advice. I'm a 22 yr old local sorter/ utility driver for 3 years. I drive maybe 1 day a week, but i am told to call every morning. I'm next in line to go full time driving, and i've already completed driving school. I went to high school and a community college within the area and i am growing quite sick of the area. What are the odds of a transfer actually working? :thumbup:

The center i'm at is very small "23 routes". If a transfer wont happen within 5 months, I'm considering Lineman utility school. Or should i stick with big brown? I get the impression that a high school dropout can drive for ups. I kinda want a career with a little credit... I'm not trying to dog on anyone's job either. Just want some replies.
If you were 22 and could do it all over again, would you run the brown machine?:confused:1

Follow you bliss. Do what you are passionate about. If there is anything in your life, or even in your mind ,that you want to strive to do. Do it. The money follows your actions. It does not lead you to action. In the fullness of time, it is far better to say "I tried the best I could" than to say "I wish I would have". You are at a beautiful time in your life. Don't rush it,but don't waste too much time making a decision. Anyone can tell you what they would have done, but only you can decide what you wish to do with your life.
No one gets to do it over again.

Choose your ride carefully,
laughed the mother.
I only bought you one ticket

Good Luck

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
...if you are female, or any other minority you have a fantastic chance of moving up fast with Brown

This statement is both sexist and racist at the same time. The minorities and female co-workers that I've known and got promoted were well qualified.

You sound like a person who tried to get into mgmt but has been repeatedly 'DENIED". People like you who spread the message of hate and prejudice use these kind of statements to hide thier shortcomings.

This forum should not tolerate this kind of posts.

trickpony1

"This forum should not tolerate this kind of posts".
That's right....we wouldn't want to expose the truth.
What about a female minority that threatens to sue the company if she isn't promoted into management?
Guess what?.......she gets promoted.
Guess what else?.......what are the chances of her getting fired anytime soon?
Was she worth a flip? Did she have any people skills? Why was she transfered quickly from one location to another?
Draw your own conclusions.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have to agree with brown sucks and trick, you do have a better chance to get promoted if you are a minority. Not sexist or racist it is the politically correct world we now live in. And reverse discrimination is rampant.

As a female, I know I have little chance of getting fired, even if I did screw up big time which I dont. I think we have four black drivers and one female driver, me. And unless I have a really bad accident or I steal, which I pray I never do, and I dont. But I also know if I submitted an app to supervision I would get it almost immediately. I know that.

I would be qualified, but I would bet there are white guys which are more qualified. But UPS has to keep government mandated quotas, and they have a hard time getting women who will give up their life for UPS. More men will because society has said "thats their job" to work tons of hours and provide. And as I believe Helenof california has stated only 6% of the workforce, is female. So they have to try to get the numbers up. And it has to be frustrating to the well qualified male, to get beaten out by sex or race.
I guess Ill get flamed for this, but I dont care.

If I get something I want it to be coz I was the bese of my sex.
But I dont want a promotion.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I have to agree with brown sucks and trick, you do have a better chance to get promoted if you are a minority. Not sexist or racist it is the politically correct world we now live in. And reverse discrimination is rampant.

As a female, I know I have little chance of getting fired, even if I did screw up big time which I dont. I think we have four black drivers and one female driver, me. And unless I have a really bad accident or I steal, which I pray I never do, and I dont. But I also know if I submitted an app to supervision I would get it almost immediately. I know that.

I would be qualified, but I would bet there are white guys which are more qualified. But UPS has to keep government mandated quotas, and they have a hard time getting women who will give up their life for UPS. More men will because society has said "thats their job" to work tons of hours and provide. And as I believe Helenof california has stated only 6% of the workforce, is female. So they have to try to get the numbers up. And it has to be frustrating to the well qualified male, to get beaten out by sex or race.
I guess Ill get flamed for this, but I dont care.

If I get something I want it to be coz I was the best, not coz of my sex organs. By the way, I dont want a promotion.

over9five

Staff member
"This forum should not tolerate this kind of posts"

Yeah! Anyone who has an opinion should not be allowed to post....

I agree with Brownsucks statement.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
You guys are missing my point here. I'm saying minorities and females don't have the upper hand over anyone else. A sup or upper management position are'nt given away to minorities on a threat of a lawsuit, they have to earn that position just like everyone who apply. The idea that the company needs to meet its "quota" is BS. UPS is an EOE company that encourages non-whites and women to apply, which in turn makes a diverse work enviroment.

Look, don't slam these people because they want to furthur their careers and be successful, you just make yourselves sound foolish.

My brother in law is a employment recruiter for FEDEX. One of the questions they ask is "Where do you want to be in 5 years?" . They are not looking for people who "Just want to drive", they are looking for people to say I'd lilke to take the full oppurtunity this company has to offer. This is the main reason FEDEX management outperforms UPS.

So you backwards-thinking-I-only-know-how-to-drive-people enjoy life at the bottom because I don't think any of you are management material. (especially that gal who thinks she can get hired as a sup on a whim)

You're right, you did get flamed.

upsdawg

UPSDAWG
UPS has promoted some great minorities over the past years--women--black--Hispanic, white people over 40/50 and as BLACKBOX points out they were well qualified......but the company has changed.It used to be the the "MOST" qualified person was promoted--now it is someone who is "qualified"--it is not necessarily the best person.UPS is just like all other large companies and has to meet certain quotas, or face lawsuits!!

I used to get copies of upcoming Regional Manager Meetings and was surprised when some of the topics were----"which minorities do you have ready for the promotion process?" It became so common place that I stopped being surprised after awhile.I am not saying the above in a Sexist/Racist fashion--it is reality!

So, once again a bit of advice to Mossified-----get an education and never stop learning----"Knowledge is Power!!"

Braveheart

In a word...........NO friend**N WAY
Transfers can happen for education reasons when you are part time so transfer now while you can. Then at the new site maybe you will get more hours. Stay in school! At least finish so you will have options. If I was you I would seek alternate career paths. I am in my mid 30's and my knees are almost gone.

Griff

Blackbox, does your healthcare cover psychiatric help? You appear to have a ton of personal issues. This is the real world, noone cares that you wear a tie and fantasize about being someone important at night.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
So you backwards-thinking-I-only-know-how-to-drive-people enjoy life at the bottom because I don't think any of you are management material. (especially that gal who thinks she can get hired as a sup on a whim)

You're right, you did get flamed.

Been there done that dont want to do it.

Come on down with us bottom feeders, the company is so much better, and much more fun.