Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I do enjoy the theory that tax cuts to corporations will increase job growth. Corporations would never just pocket those tax cuts to pad the earnings per share, they’d rush out and hire more people to increase growth....right?

MendozaJ

I do enjoy the theory that tax cuts to corporations will increase job growth. Corporations would never just pocket those tax cuts to pad the earnings per share, they’d rush out and hire more people to increase growth....right?

Higher eps leads to higher dividends. This also ties in to USPS's struggles. They need to reduce small package volume. That work is coming back to us, which might make you groan, but their workforce is shrinking, and our isn't. In our business, we should want our competitors to fail. Should Amazon Flex burn like Amazon Fire did, I'll be all warm and fuzzy inside.

It's selfish, I know, but I'm an investor, not a job seeker. Since I intend to stay that way, I want UPS to keep making money. That makes me no different than any person who votes solely on the issue(s) that affect them.

The Driver

I drive.
Higher eps leads to higher dividends. This also ties in to USPS's struggles. They need to reduce small package volume. That work is coming back to us, which might make you groan, but their workforce is shrinking, and our isn't. In our business, we should want our competitors to fail. Should Amazon Flex burn like Amazon Fire did, I'll be all warm and fuzzy inside.

It's selfish, I know, but I'm an investor, not a job seeker. Since I intend to stay that way, I want UPS to keep making money. That makes me no different than any person who votes solely on the issue(s) that affect them.

Gotta say I agree for the most part. The more market share we can take the better we're going to do as long as we can stick together as labor.

And a big part of me wants the college students to struggle through their debt. I paid mine off with my own sweat equity. They can do it, too.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

The only thing that enables Amazon Flex and a lot of these other PVD carriers able to compete with us is lack of regulation and employee classification. It’s currently the “Wild West” when it comes to PVD. Once real issues start to surface (such as classifying employees as contractors when they aren’t) more wide spread and addressing public safety regulations with the DOT, then we can measure the impact these guys really pose.

I too am investor by heart, but I refuse to invest in place I work and in a company I know treats it’s employees and customers like liabilities. We know the internal struggles UPS faces, as such, I believe the chickens will come home to roost. This next contract will be very telling on how far each side is willing to go.

MendozaJ

Gotta say I agree for the most part. The more market share we can take the better we're going to do as long as we can stick together as labor.

And a big part of me wants the college students to struggle through their debt. I paid mine off with my own sweat equity. They can do it, too.

You have public universities with billion dollar endowments charging $150 for a textbook. Let's not even get into the student athlete scam. What is a UCLA sophomore doing spending a week in China during the semester, besides shoplifting? Who does that benefit the most? When will these schools be asked to find a way to stop increasing tuition every year?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You have public universities with billion dollar endowments charging $150 for a textbook. Let's not even get into the student athlete scam. What is a UCLA sophomore doing spending a week in China during the semester, besides shoplifting? Who does that benefit the most? When will these schools be asked to find a way to stop increasing tuition every year?
When our government stops backing student loans.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
The amount of money Follett makes on these college book "scams" should be investigated.
It's stuff like this that's usually done by the Mafia, not a bookstore.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Part of the problem for the United States is we now live in a world economy and must compete against other countries with much lower tax and labor rates.

Jobs are always nice but is it really necessary right now? The unemployment rate is actually really low. And all jobs are not created equal. Creating another burger flipper at $12 an hour doesn't do near as much for the economy as creating a $20+ an hour job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The amount of money Follett makes on these college book "scams" should be investigated.
I really thought iPads and other tablets would change the college textbook game.

There's simply no reason that the change 4 words print a new textbook and make the old one obsolete model is still happening.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Who cares about price when Mommy and Daddy are paying?

They also should stop calling loans "aid". They word aid sounds like a gift.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I always loved when you bought one of those 250 dollar textbooks only to find out the author was the professor teaching the class. Feel good extorting your students professor?